Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Subscribe
    Apr 9, 2009, 1:01 PM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #51

well said vod!!!
    Apr 9, 2009, 1:55 PM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #52

I would have to agree with the checkpoints. Every gunshow I have attended has an officer at the front to make sure your weapon is clear and the puts a ziptie on the trigger or slide so you can be assured its not loaded. Does he also check to see you don't have a knife or cutters to remove the ziptie??? NO! Its just so that a person that wants to look at your gun can feel assured that you have it unloaded. If a nut wants to bring in ammo and start blasting, FEEL FREE! He won't get his third round off before twenty gun dealing Oklahoma rednecks put a nice group in his chest and forehead.
    Here is the kicker, these conventions are run by the gun hating left. I say this out of common sense. If a gun toting maniac was to come in with a shotgun in his pants or two glocks strapped to his chest are they going to catch him??? If a costumer wanted to hide an H&K MP5 in his rocket pack will it be found??? No! They want to avoid the perception that they condone the Second Amendment. They want the world to know that they are anti-gun and they send the message the way they can.
    In Australia and England are you safer because they removed your rights to firearms or are the only people left with guns the criminals??? I know that Japan once made public after WWII that they refused to attempt to invade the US mainland because all us crazy Americans had guns....think about it...Perception...both sides...I digress
    Apr 9, 2009, 2:58 PM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #53

Toy gun, NO! toy rocket, sure!

El1te
  4. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 9, 2009, 3:05 PM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #54

Got my popcorn, this is a good one!!!!!!!

Not even going to get in this.

Apr 9, 2009, 6:12 PM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #55

Let's not get too hasty here. This is about prop weapons at cons, not the 2nd Amendment or right to own firearms. Let's try to remember that so this thread doesn't get locked and we can still have fun.

That being said, I'm really angry about this, even though I'll never go to an anime con. If these stupid policies keep going the way they are, soon you won't be able to wear any face coverings for "security reasons!"
    Apr 10, 2009, 9:35 AM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #56

.........stirrrrrrring the pot...........stir......stir.......MUHAHAHAHAH!!!

But you do have to ask yourself, "What are they truly trying to accomplish?" Are they keeping people safe or presenting an image? If it's not them then it might be their insurance carrier making silly rules as well? Agenda or finance? I can only sit and watch because either way it is the negative steroe-type that firearms have gotten that force narrow minded people into thinking that somehow they are making the world a better or safer place and all they do is clinch thier grip tighter on the American populace. Its like the dog that you beat mercilessly for ten days then wonder why he won't come when you call him....IMO!!!
    Last edited by Boomer Fett; Apr 10, 2009 at 9:41 AM.
    Apr 10, 2009, 6:20 PM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #57

Well said Boomer!!!
    Apr 11, 2009, 7:35 PM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #58

ONCE AGAIN, CHEERS, BOOMER!!

and on a side note. We're all fairly reasonable people here. At least I am sometimes!

I just want to compliment EVERYBODY on both sides of this argument. We are discussing, even arguing against one another around, a VERY Volatile subject. However, I see we are ALL giving passionate, but CIVIL arguments. Free, open discussion amongst people is how things are solved properly.
    Last edited by Django; Apr 11, 2009 at 7:42 PM.
    Apr 11, 2009, 8:45 PM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #59

Sorry to get off topic. I agree with Boomer, and the way the country is moving right now it is only a matter of time before someone will be knocking on our door, looking to take any guns or ammo. Not to get into any politics, but if you don't think it's true ask any of your local gun dealers. Ever since November gun sales have been at a record high, the economy might be bad but people are buying up as many guns as they can.
  10. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Apr 11, 2009, 9:38 PM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #60

lol it's funny, I'm very pro gun rights, yet I'm one of the only ones who came out on the opposing side for this. Honestly, I'm fine with the guns, but I also understand why they are choosing to ban realistic looking toy guns. Even in stores today, you would b hard pressed to find a toy gun that is not green or pink. While I'd love to carry a blaster, it won't make or break the convention for me. Anyways, that's my two cents lol
    Apr 11, 2009, 10:07 PM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #61

I spoke to an event organisor and they told me it is due to the visitors being scared by the 'blasters, swords etc....' and thus effects the insurance requirements due to law suites. My take is if the few general public are scared of these replicas, props "what the hell are you doing here in the first place?!" Anime is the worst for sharp huge weapons! In a nut shell it's these morons who are effecting OUR hobbies. I think knitting needles are dangerous (joke) but I don't petition their hobbies. Fair go!
    Apr 12, 2009, 5:08 AM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #62

Quote BH Reaper said: View Post
    I spoke to an event organisor and they told me it is due to the visitors being scared by the 'blasters, swords etc....' and thus effects the insurance requirements due to law suites.
    "Welcome to Health & Safety Con, before you come through the door we'd like to run through our safety procedures it'll only take an hour or two of your time. Don't forget to don your yellow hi-vis vests and safety hats. The member of staff by the door is checking to ensure everyone entering is proparly protected by a thick layer of cotton wool. Now we've gone out of our way to ensure all scary characters - orcs, Star Wars characters, Horror costumers and tv fitness personalities are made to look as cute and cudly as possible - we are very pleased with our main attraction Tiny Pink Darth Vader and his foam rainbow lightsaber. At 5 foot tall we hope you'll agree he's not very scary.

Attendies to this con are encouraged not to bring sharp objects - pens, pencils, sticks and the like. Anyone found to be carrying such an impliment must fit a pink rubber cap over the end or you'll be asked to leave.
    We at Health & Safety Con hope you have a fun day, but not too exciting as it may exasperate any existing heart condition you may have"
    Apr 12, 2009, 5:52 AM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #63

I was once chased down by a police officer walking to my car outside a con because my Boba Blaster looked like a real gun. I had to put it in a plastic bag to cross the street..

OK, I don't blame them from wanting to ban "REAL" firearms from the con. I know there are people crazy enough to carry real gun with their costume instead of an air soft.... Yes, those guns that are not rendered usless, or antique firearms rendered in-opperable should not be brought to a con.

If you bring an airsoft... it shouldn't be allowed in with a gas cylinder, or charged, or full of pellets.

Any other gun or gun replica needs to be tagged or banded with a zip tie....

Any firearm needs to be bagged outside the convention center, so people unfamilar to the con don't see a malitia of people walking down the street..

I don't blame them to try to push for safety, and with the matter of checking the guns, if some dimwit handed me a "real" gun, I wouldn't even want to handel it at a con.

I've got a hyperfirm blaster for my TK, the dam thing will bounce if you throw it at the floor. If someone told me that I couldn't bring it to a con because it "looked" like a real firearm, and after inspection still told me not to bring it in, I would think they were slow!
    Apr 12, 2009, 10:37 AM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #64

Quote OrtharRrith said: View Post
    "Welcome to Health & Safety Con, before you come through the door we'd like to run through our safety procedures it'll only take an hour or two of your time. Don't forget to don your yellow hi-vis vests and safety hats. The member of staff by the door is checking to ensure everyone entering is proparly protected by a thick layer of cotton wool. Now we've gone out of our way to ensure all scary characters - orcs, Star Wars characters, Horror costumers and tv fitness personalities are made to look as cute and cudly as possible - we are very pleased with our main attraction Tiny Pink Darth Vader and his foam rainbow lightsaber. At 5 foot tall we hope you'll agree he's not very scary.

Attendies to this con are encouraged not to bring sharp objects - pens, pencils, sticks and the like. Anyone found to be carrying such an impliment must fit a pink rubber cap over the end or you'll be asked to leave.
    We at Health & Safety Con hope you have a fun day, but not too exciting as it may exasperate any existing heart condition you may have"
    MY HERO!!!!!
  15. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Apr 12, 2009, 11:41 AM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #65

Here's a pic of slavefive and me from Anime Expo '06

notice the little brightly colored zip-ties on our triggers?
    Feel safer now?
    No. You don't.
    because it's ridiculous.
    Apr 12, 2009, 1:52 PM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #66

Quote OrtharRrith said: View Post

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup
    Thanks for putting it perfectly vod.
    May 15, 2009, 5:37 PM - Re: A Convention's weapon prop policy... #67

It's actually very funny, and perfectly legal in the United States, as it should be and should continue to be. I would state however, that my blaster is based on an AR-15, and if it were not heavily modified I would not blame them for being... cautious. Since it is heavily modified, I would be very upset if told it was inappropriate. In my opinion, if you can prove that it is not a legitimate weapon you shouldn't have any problems, especially since the police see you in a costume and generally assume the weapons are not real, if they do ask... it's very easy to show that the weapon is fake.

Kal'ika

Quote stormshadow2100 said: View Post
    thats funny .