Subscribe
    Jun 4, 2008, 9:25 AM - Computer question (Vista related) #1

Hi all,
    Just got a brand spanking new Sony VAIO notebook today, and I've been flurping around with it, just seeing how everything works in Vista. (Yes, flurping is a word! )
    Once thing I've noticed is that several tabs open all at once when I first open IE7. Then I have to manually close the ones I'm not using. The ones that come up are tabs for AOL, ebay, and something called "Sonystyle."
    Is there a way to keep them from opening when I first open IE? It's no biggie, just a little annoying.
    Thanks for any input! (Get it? Computers? Input?. . . Anyone? )
    Jun 4, 2008, 9:32 AM - Re: Computer question (Vista related) #2

The easiest way is to install Firefox! also goto add-remove programs and uninstall all the bloat-ware that comes with new pc's these days. Really though once you get use to Firefox, you will never switch back! Also Vista is a huge resorse hog!! with memory being so cheap right now, you should run at least 3gigs.
    Jun 4, 2008, 9:33 AM - Re: Computer question (Vista related) #3

is it some kind of toolbar or something? You could probably check your internet settings or look in your startup programs. It may be something where you can just hit a button and poof, no more tabs. I'm not a PC guru so I don't know how much help any of that is for you.
    Jun 4, 2008, 9:40 AM - Re: Computer question (Vista related) #4

Thanks guys! I messed around with it a little bit and the problem is solved.
    Guess I should have tried that before posting my question.

As far as Vista being a resource hog, I've read that, and I plan to mess with my settings so not as many bells and whistles come on at start-up.

Mods, this thread can be deleted.
    Jun 4, 2008, 10:56 AM - Re: Computer question (Vista related) #5

Hey, glad you got your problem figured out. The Sony Laptops are pretty beefy, so as for Vista's demands, you should be alright. Definantly do what vadr_h8r said and go to Add/Remove Programs and get rid of all the junk that Sony loads your laptop up with.

Enjoy your new computer!
  6. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Jun 4, 2008, 11:51 PM - Re: Computer question (Vista related) #6

Quote vadr_h8r said: View Post
    The easiest way is to install Firefox! also goto add-remove programs and uninstall all the bloat-ware that comes with new pc's these days. Really though once you get use to Firefox, you will never switch back! Also Vista is a huge resorse hog!! with memory being so cheap right now, you should run at least 3gigs.

definitely. firefox ftw!!!