Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 5, 2005, 12:09 AM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #51

Quote AT-AT Luvah said:
    What's a Chicago brutha gotta do to get invited to these things?
    I hear ya man.... Great pics guys
  2. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Dec 5, 2005, 12:20 AM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #52

Hey Chicago guys. Don't feel bad if you weren't "invited." This was really a test run to see if it was worth doing. If all those who had pics taken agree that it is, I am more than willing to come back and do it again. I specifically bought my lighting equipment and camera for the sole purpose of photographing people's costumes so I will be doing it more and more as I get more skilled. Right now, I have a LONG way to go!
    Dec 5, 2005, 12:38 AM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #53

It's nice to finally get some quality photos in a controlled setting. How many times have we gone to cons and gotten a few candid shots with more than a few people in the shot wearing street clothes. I mean, we go to cons to wear our stuff, but we rarely get some really good shots in out gear. It was nice to have a chance to participate and get some great pictures for a change, I'm sure everyone who participated will agree. Thanks for the oppertunity to participate guys.
    Dec 5, 2005, 12:47 AM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #54

Quote Brak's Buddy said:
    I specifically bought my lighting equipment and camera for the sole purpose of photographing people's costumes so I will be doing it more and more as I get more skilled. Right now, I have a LONG way to go!
    You want to get better??? I want to see that!
    Dec 5, 2005, 1:03 AM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #55

Braks . . . .

What sort of lighting did you use? Do you use tungston lighting?
  6. Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Dec 5, 2005, 1:32 AM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #56

I am just speechless from these awesome pictures. :thumbup
    Dec 5, 2005, 1:55 AM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #57

Quote Jun Garros Fett said:
    I am just speechless from these awesome pictures. :thumbup
    its the photographer ...
  8. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Dec 5, 2005, 6:16 AM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #58

Quote lilburndiablo said:
    Braks . . . .

What sort of lighting did you use? Do you use tungston lighting?
    I use 2 Novatron ML500-2 lighting kits which gives me 4 lights total.

ML500-2 Lighting Kit
  9. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Dec 5, 2005, 6:18 AM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #59

Quote gorman said:
    You want to get better??? I want to see that!
    This might seem impressive to you but I don't hold a candle to some of the other photographers here. Bobasfett comes to mind. If you want to see REAL photography, check out some of his work!
    Dec 5, 2005, 8:22 AM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #60

I'm loving that shot of Boba behind Jodo!
    Dec 5, 2005, 8:28 AM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #61

Art, that pic of Jason in the snowy alley friggin' ROCKS! Talk about looking like its straight out of a movie!

Well done guys!

Man... I gotta make it out to Chi-town to hang with you guys sometime... wow!
    Dec 5, 2005, 8:38 AM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #62

Don't sell yourself short! You may not consider yourself to be as good as others but they are VERY VERY impresive photographs.

I love the Twin Engines of Destruction reconstruction and the Clone Emperors Durge looks better everytime I see it.

Anyway, great shots and great costumes.
  13. The Sniffer is offline The Sniffer
    Dec 5, 2005, 12:49 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #63

Hmmmmm . . . Even the "Sniffer" himself is in awe of this "Braks" person.
    Aside from his model Fett, he continues to go into different avenues just to turn a new leaf.

Which is a wonderful thing.

This "Braks" is a man of many talents.

But the question remains:

Can he make good coffee?

Seriously though... These pictures are very well and professionally done.
    I just keep coming back to this post to see the pictures again and again!
    Dec 5, 2005, 1:33 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #64

Hey Braks, I haven't seen you on IM so I will jsut post here.

So you are useing all 4 of your lights right, and what is your setup?
    What is the wattage on each light?
    And what type of connection are you using to sync your XT to your strobes?
    Are you still useing the standard wide angle lens that came with the XT?
    Do you shoot tight to begin with or do you crop afterwards in photoshop?
    And have you had any problem with focus when shooting wide, as I have had a lot with my 2 hot light set-up?
    Dec 5, 2005, 3:00 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #65

HOOOOOLLY CRAP GOAT!!!

LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!!!
  16. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Dec 5, 2005, 3:01 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #66

Are you using all 4 of your lights right, and what is your setup?
    On the dark backgrounds I use all 4 lights, 2 at the front at 45s to the subject and 2 at the back at 45s to the subjec. For the White background I use 2 at the front at 45s to the subject and one at the back, turned at the background to blow it out. This also reflects off the background and backlights the subjec. Because the depth of our studio was so narrow the subjects sometimes got a bit blown out by the backlight when on the white background. Live and learn... Oh and on the shot of Jack on the black background, I believe there is only a single light.

What is the wattage on each light?
    Each light is capable of 500 watts but has a dimmer switch that allows for a wide range of wattage. I generally just take a test pic, then adjust, then take another test pic and repeat until I am happy. For certain looks I will turn one light way up or way down or turn one completely off.

And what type of connection are you using to sync your XT to your strobes?
    I have seen many expensive radio slave units but I bought a nice cheap one (about $20) off eBay and it works just fine! About 1 out of every 200 shots it will fail to make the strokes flash but I can accept that. They are readily availble with BIN on eBay.

Are you still useing the standard wide angle lens that came with the XT?
    Sadly, yes, but I have to tell you that I hate it. Perhaps my Sony F828 spoiled me, but going from a 28-200mm lens to a 18-55mm is pure hell for me. I was CONSTANTLY using sneaker zoom to get the closeup shots I wanted and while some might not mind that, I do. I want to be able to place my tripod and never move it and still be able to zoom all the way in for the shots I want. For the distance I was shooting 18 was WAY too wide. I don't need a lens that wide for studio shots. I would like to find something in the range of what I had on the Sony. Something around 25-35 to 185-200mm...

Do you shoot tight to begin with or do you crop afterwards in photoshop?
    I do both. I have a TON of fullbody shots and while these do show off the costume well, they generally aren't very eyecatching. I personally love the zoomed in shots like the Boba vs Jodo Cast or the Jango pics above. For any pic I do try to zoom all the way in to the subject and leave as little background around them as possible. The nice thing about having 8pegapixel is that sometimes you can crop a fullbody pic into something more interesting but I rarely do it. What you see is generally the original zoom/crop.

And have you had any problem with focus when shooting wide, as I have had a lot with my 2 hot light set-up?
    I have not necessarily noticed trouble focusing at a wide shot but I have noticed that it I have a very dark subject the camera has GREAT difficulty focusing. Did a lot of manual zoom for those type of images.

The answers I have given above are what I do but it doesn't mean they are the RIGHT answers. As I have said before, I still have a LOT to learn.
    Dec 5, 2005, 3:20 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #67

Quote Gilmore of OK said:
    HOOOOOLLY CRAP GOAT!!!

LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!!!
    Oh noes!!!!

lol
  18. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Dec 5, 2005, 3:30 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #68

Since everyone loves the snowgoat.... errr.. I mean goat in the snow pics, here is another.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goat_snow3.jpg 
Views:	1131 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	7233  
    Dec 5, 2005, 3:41 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #69

Quote superjedi said:
    I LOVE that pulse rifle!! What's the source???
    The rifle belongs to Got Maul, he was nice enough to loan it to me for the shoot. You'll need to contact him to get the details. I can tell you this, that thing must weigh 50 Lbs! My arms were starting to shake for some of those shots.
    Quote superjedi said:
    Also, the Happy Bunny patch on the USCM BDUs just kills me.
    Thanks! That was my personal touch. The patch reads "You suck and that's sad." You can pick it up here.
    Dec 5, 2005, 3:48 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #70

Beautiful photos! I Love the Boba Fett and Twin Engines recreation! You got that depth of field so perfect for that! Amazing job!
  21. The Sniffer is offline The Sniffer
    Dec 5, 2005, 4:48 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #71

Perhaps the "Sniffer" can encourage The "Braks" to have his photo shot with a nice number of Slave Leia's. We will make sure the lights are real hot, therefore the ladies will have no other choice but to retire their costumes -AND- only to add them to the collection of the "one and only"

Dang I am back here again and Boba Goat looks awesome!
    Dec 5, 2005, 5:58 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #72

Thanks for the kind words you guys
    Dec 5, 2005, 6:00 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #73

Seriously Goat, you gonna be at ComicCon this year...I feel like striving for a Sabertooth Outfit now...just need some lift boots.
    Dec 5, 2005, 6:15 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #74

Braks, you come back to Chicago, I'm in man! Plus, I'd just love to meet ya!Your shots are almost too good because you can end up seeing each flaw in a costume that the usual photos don't catch (not that any of the fine gentlemen in the photos have any flaws in their costumes...I was refering to my own costumes ).
    Dec 5, 2005, 8:18 PM - Re: Chicago Photo Shoot #75

Ok,

I was there the last day of the shoot.. bright and early. I have to say that posing for those pics was not as easy as it looks. Some of the shots you guys have`nt seen yet were very demanding.
    But I have to wholeheartedly agree with everyone who was there. Brak`s takes amazing photos! If he could get a stiff board like myself to look as good as I do in those pics...then that says he can do amazing work!
    My thanks to Got Maul and his Fiance (who I finally met) who opened their home to all of us for this shoot. It was a freakin blast, and it was the first time I got to eat Thai food...it was delicious.
    Anyway, again, a big thank you to Brak`s for coming in and doing this for a bunch of us....It was great seeing you again Art.
    And hell....it was the most fun I`ve had on an early sunday morning in ages.

Now...here`s to hoping he posts more of the pics...Including the group Mandalorian pic.

JK3