Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. formerly slave1117a vaders right hand's Avatar
    Dec 3, 2009, 3:40 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #26

well if i hadn't already bought plane tickets and booked my room for dc , i might have done this instead
    Dec 3, 2009, 4:08 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #27

So excited! Nice, I hope I can my stuff together in order to go. It's possible to take luggage aboard but it always costs extra now.
    Dec 3, 2009, 5:38 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #28

Quote ART ANDREWS said: View Post
    Ack! Right in between SDCC and DragonCon!

My thoughts exactly! I’m already committed to DragonCon, there’s no way I could afford the time or money to do a major con with in a couple of weeks of that. Any other time and I would be there… I really think LFL has shot themselves in the foot on this deal.
    Dec 3, 2009, 7:24 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #29

Now I'm stressing about how I'm going to get my stuff there without it costing a fortune.
  5. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Dec 3, 2009, 8:39 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #30

Thanks for the heads up guys!!! Ive booked
    into the Springhill Suites by Marriott. 8840
    Universal Boulevard Aug 11-16 Now I just
    have to make sure I get the 4 day passes!
    See you there guys.....Its going to be a fun
    drive from Ontario Canada to Orlando.
    Mike
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 3, 2009, 8:57 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #31

I think they made their decision 4-6 months too late. Less than a year's notice isn't that cool on their part; I doubt I'll be going. Plus all of this new Star Wars isn't that great, the Clone Wars are unwatchable and I doubt the convention will be worth flying cross country for. Celebration 4 wasn't that great, and I'll stick to the other conventions.
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 3, 2009, 9:00 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #32

Quote Jango72 said: View Post
    I've heard horror stories of shipping being as much as or more than airfare... I seem to recall hearing tales of shipping fees upwards towards $300 to $500 dollars on over-sized tubs!

If I were to drive it, it would take me 2 to 3 days of all out driving to get to Orlando from Ottawa... airfare would be far cheaper considering todays gas prices.

I'll just have to research the different airlines, and find out what the current limitations are for over-sized baggage. Hope they don't charge me into bankruptcy.
    Find someone in the Florida Garrison to mail your costume to. I had several people mail me their costumes and I drove them down to LA with them. I'm sure other people will be willing to help out like I did in 2007
    Dec 3, 2009, 9:04 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #33

I'm wodering if enough people in one area are going and want to bring costumes could pitch in and rent a uhaul and pay for a friend to drive it to Florida and then do the same back. If you get enough people it'd def be worth it.
    Dec 3, 2009, 9:07 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #34

Ha. I take that back. I just checked the price and it's really expensive for that.
    Dec 3, 2009, 11:12 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #35

I will be there from the 9th to the 16th. Spending a couple of days at Disney and then the remainder at the con. If you haven't booked a hotel yet, there are still some $50 rooms left, although most of the smaller hotels doubled their prices this morning (wonder why?)
    Dec 4, 2009, 7:21 AM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #36

I got permisson from the wife to go!

I'll actually be driving down the east coast with a friend and our kids. This way we'll share the driving and go down straight through. I've driven to FL before so it's not a big deal. By driving I hope to bring my ESB Boba too!

Hopefully I'll get to meet some the TDH'ers.
    Dec 4, 2009, 1:55 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #37

Yeepeeee!!! I'm so excited, it's my first Celebration! Hey Maulfett, we're be doing "plane-pool" hahaha!
    Dec 4, 2009, 2:03 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #38

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Find someone in the Florida Garrison to mail your costume to. I had several people mail me their costumes and I drove them down to LA with them. I'm sure other people will be willing to help out like I did in 2007
    Sounds like a cool idea Andy, but I'm not sold on how practical it might be for me at this time. My squad mates and I will be discussing C5 soon enough, so I'm sure that plans will be formulated for those of us with large-ish tubs.
    Dec 4, 2009, 2:22 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #39

!!! Figures, I live less than 3 hrs from O-Town right now, but by Aug I'll be livin in Idaho (within driving distance of Vegas)! Mr Lucas hates me.....

Hopefully, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will be open at Universal by then, so I can kill two birds with one stone. lol
    Last edited by Star Wars Chick; Dec 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM. Reason: Language- do not use ***** in place of curse words- keep it family friendly
    Dec 4, 2009, 8:49 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #40

This is great news indeed. However, I do wish that they gave at least a year's notice like the other previous Celebrations.

I also did have a few concerns though after reading their website...

In regards to the "Weapons Policy"...It seems that they gotten a lot stricter than the previous Celebrations.

Here's a listing of Their "Weapon Policy":

The following items are forbidden at Star Wars Celebration:

Functional firearms (including air soft guns, BB guns, cap guns, paintball guns, and pellet guns).

Functional projectile weapons (including blow guns, crossbows, long bows, silly string, slingshots, water balloons, and water guns).

Metal-bladed weapons (including axes, daggers, hatchets, knives, kunai, shuriken, swords, sword canes, and switch blades).

Explosives (including firecrackers and fireworks).

Chemical weapons (including mace and pepper spray).

Blunt weapons (including brass knuckles, clubs, and nunchaku).

Hard replica weapons (including most made of metal, fiberglass, and glass).

Whips.

Replica weapons will be allowed, providing that they are made of cardboard, foam, wood, or other lightweight materials. Replica firearms are allowed only if they cannot be mistaken for real weapons. The barrel of all replica firearms must be covered with a brightly-colored cap. Replica bows will be allowed providing all arrows have soft tips.
    While I can understand about the safety issue in regards about bringing real weapons, I do have some questions about the part about the "Hard replica weapons" and the airsoft guns.

Aren't many of the Clone Troper/Stormtrooper, Mandalorian weapons and Jedi weapon props made of metal & fiberglass? Some are modified airsoft replicas of real weapons. Also, why are whips banned all of a sudden? Does that mean we will have to use plastic, foam and cardboard for the weapon props?

Hard replica weapons were not a issue in the past Celebrations, so I was kind of surprised to read this new weapon policy. The new organizers are the Pop Culture Group at Reed Exhibitions. (They are the same organizers for New York Comic Con, the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo, and the New York Anime Festival.)

I hope this is not going to end up like some of the other cons where they have a Draconian policy when it comes to weapon props.

You can check out their website here:

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/e...eapons-Policy/
    Last edited by Hakaider; Dec 4, 2009 at 8:57 PM.
    Dec 4, 2009, 10:17 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #41

Yeah, that's a bit of a rub....
    Dec 4, 2009, 10:56 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #42

We were given MORE than a year's notice for this celebration.

Steve Sansweet confirmed C5 officially at San Diego Comic-Con back in July.

Hector
    Dec 5, 2009, 3:59 AM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #43

Hector
    Steve Sansweet could not confirm a definite date & location for the Celebration 5 Convention, even as late as September 9, 2009 at DragonCon 2009. (He also could not confirm the actual dates & location at the July 2009 San Diego Comic Con Star Wars panel.) I was at the Star Wars panel at Dragon Con (Sitting about 20 feet away from him) when he mentioned that the location and dates still could not be confirmed. He has mentioned the possibility of a Star Wars Celebration 5 long before San Diego Comic Con but the dates & location could not be confirmed until a few days ago.

DragonCon 2009 Celebration 5 News from Steve SansSweet's Panel:
    http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front...its_126248.asp
    Last edited by Hakaider; Dec 5, 2009 at 4:04 AM.
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Dec 5, 2009, 7:09 AM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #44

Quote AT-AT Luvah said: View Post

Hector

Yeah...that's completely not true. I was at both SDCC and DCon and at no time did Steve confirm anything other than there would at some time be a CV. If you asked him personally, the topic would change pretty quickly.

As to the weapons policy, yeah it looks a little harsh...but you can get around some of that. Usually, if you disable your airsoft guns they don't have a problem. I've never in 4 years been stopped over my pistols or knife, which are all metal. But I also follow my own set of rules for weapons carrying:

1. If your going to pull weapons, do it mainly with others in a group.
    2. Don't make any movements that would make security think you are a threat.
    3. If your carrying a carbine or rifle, keep it in a safety position (pointed at floor or resting on shoulder.).
    4. If you carry knives, keep them in a sheath that can keep it secured. Also keep them where they are not easily noticed.

As long as you make security feel good around you, then you don't usually have a problem.
    Dec 5, 2009, 1:55 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #45

How much are tickets to CV? Anyone know yet? I am trying to see if people in the PA/NY area are going and maybe wanna caravan down. Provided I can afford it haha

El1te
    Dec 5, 2009, 2:12 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #46

I've seen that they're $120 for a 4day pass...

EDIT: yeah...here they are:
    Adult Four-Day Passes are $120
    Saturday Passes are $50
    Thursday, Friday, and Sunday Passes are $45
    Kids Four-Day Passes are $50 and One-Day Passes are $25.
    Dec 5, 2009, 2:59 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #47

Holy cow.... O_O GDC is even cheaper than that. I don't think I can afford that

El1te
  23. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Dec 5, 2009, 3:15 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #48

El1te, if you change your mind about the caravan I know that a few of the PA Mercs clan are going to come down.

There is also the ability to volunteer as a "in-costume Volunteer". I'm not sure what all that opens up admission wise, you would need to check the application on the CV site.
    Dec 5, 2009, 3:26 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #49

Really? Now that is interesting... I'd probably take my TB down so I'd be in costume anyway.

El1te
  25. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 5, 2009, 7:26 PM - Re: C5 in Orlando!!!! confirmed! #50

Quote AT-AT Luvah said: View Post

Hector
    He confirmed its existence, but without a location we weren't able to start any actual planning.