Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 15, 2010, 2:18 PM - Boba Fett life-size bust #1

Sideshow Collectibles is trotting this out soon; looks interesting...

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=...ffiliate=pwise
  2. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Feb 15, 2010, 2:39 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #2

That thing is horrible.
    I'll make my own, thanks.
    Feb 15, 2010, 2:53 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #3

Yeah, pending the price you could probably just make your own that is as realistic as it gets

El1te
    Feb 15, 2010, 3:16 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #4

Quote slave1pilot said: View Post
    That thing is horrible.
    I'll make my own, thanks.
    I'd buy one from you Nathan.
  5. Feb 15, 2010, 3:42 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #5

Could the head pose look any more retarded?!!!
    Feb 15, 2010, 3:55 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #6

I had heard rumors of a lifesize Fett some time back, but figured they were talking lifesize statue. I was thinking, "Yeah, figures!" After all the hard work and money I put into it, they were going to make a lifesize collectible that would be the one stop shop.

Boy, am I glad I was wrong. Not only is it not a full figure, but it definitely isn't the best thing Sideshow has put out. The bust isn't horrible. But it isn't great, either.

Right off the bat, the shoulder bells are too angular, and the chest pieces seem disproportionatley large and the center diamond a little small. And what's this? Looks like we still have got that pinched visor. What did they do, scan the MR helmet? Guys, this is the problem with using replicas as source material. Here we have a classic example of a replica of a replica. ALWAYS use the actual reference items, don't try to replicate someone else's replica.

Also, on the closeup pic it looks like the visor is just painted on. Blech! Here's a screen grab I did from the video for easy reference . . .

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BFlifesizebust.JPG 
Views:	3258 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	41279  
    Feb 15, 2010, 4:06 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #7

I just keep looking at this and groaning. I hate to be a nay-sayer, but this time I think it's justified. There was a lot of potential here, but they didn't take advantage of it. I was really expecting more, considering the excellent Gammorean Guard SS is putting out. I'm looking for a hunk of jetpack, and maybe that's coming since this is just a proto type.

I look at the 1/2 scale legends in 3D and, while that has its own inaccuracies, it just has a better (and more dynamic) look to it. Imagine the following made more accurate and at lifesize . . .

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legends_boba.jpg 
Views:	1841 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	41305  
    Last edited by Slave I; Feb 16, 2010 at 7:33 AM.
  8. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Feb 15, 2010, 5:12 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #8

Ha. Depending on the price you could make a bust out of the items found here that are made by our fine community, Then and display with pride.
    So I agree totally with TehEl1te

Ever since I've joined and learned "Screen Accurateness" I look harshly on any toy or replica.
  9. formerly slave1117a vaders right hand's Avatar
    Feb 15, 2010, 5:30 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #9

yep my avatar looks much better , I cant believe they didnt fix the pinch , are they that out of touch ?
    Feb 16, 2010, 4:30 AM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #10

the pinch was the first thing I noticed, and was told thats accurate to the real prop. Of course on another site. I kept quite and let them be. Then all the other little bits started popping out as Slave1 mentioned. Overall Not bad but not good enough.
    Feb 16, 2010, 7:38 AM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #11

Reminds me quite a bit of the cookie jar as far as the amount of armor and wookiee scalps showing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fettcookiejar.jpg 
Views:	2032 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	41306
    Feb 16, 2010, 11:04 AM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #12

Well its basiclly the same thing with these two IMO. The pose isn't what it should be and both are lacking in details.
    Its no big issue regarding the price for these two ($19,99 i think)

13. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Feb 16, 2010, 11:32 AM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #13

Quote SubArtic said: View Post
    Well its basiclly the same thing with these two IMO. The pose isn't what it should be and both are lacking in details.

I'd buy the "ROTJ" one & do a repaint just to please myself.
    Strange, it's ROTJ gauntlets , armor,& RF, but ESB belt
    And why the groove on the flamethrower?
    Feb 16, 2010, 11:35 AM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #14

Quote SubArtic said: View Post

These look like they came from the KOTO molds.
    Feb 16, 2010, 12:39 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #15

Quote Vald said: View Post
    Ever since I've joined and learned "Screen Accurateness" I look harshly on any toy or replica.
    Strictly my opinion here, but that frame of mind, which a LOT of people around here seem to share, is both a blessing and a curse. Sideshow doesn't owe anyone anything, and no one is obligated to buy. I personally agree about not liking certain aspects of it. However, I don't feel the constant need to complain about others work like a lot of people seem to. Yes, it is possible to make a more accurate and perhaps more menacing version by yourself if you have the time, skill, and eye for it. Other people would be more than happy with this on their desk.

My point is just that the criticism around here seems to be largely fueled with an arrogance that I think is bad for the community as a whole. If you can do it better, than do it.
    Feb 16, 2010, 12:58 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #16

...and please understand that my reply is not a personal attack at anyone and I am sorry if I am coming off with negativity. I have simply noticed a pattern here for being critically aggressive towards licensed products. It may send a message, but I feel that overall if is more damaging to the focus of these boards which should be positive development. Constructive criticism is of course a big part of development, but there is a difference in constructive criticism and contempt.

17. Feb 16, 2010, 1:27 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #17

If Side Show Collectibles is going to ask / charge $500 + for this, than it darn better be worth the money and I don't care what kind of perspective stance you want to take on it, this quite simply put... ISN'T WORTH THE MONEY! I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the economy, but I more and more have a problem with all these half hearted iterations of FETT, that are nothing more than quick cash grabs from the popularity of character! Colors are Wrong! Angles are Wrong! Details are Wrong! I just don't get it, they are more than likely granted access to all the reference materials and continue to mess it up! As it was stated earlier, look at the work they did on the Gammorean Guard, Darth Maul, Bossk for Pete's Sake and this is just lands up being another hack job attempt at Fett, Sorry!

And to say to fellow board members, if you don't like it, do it better... WE HAVE!!!

THX
  18. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Feb 16, 2010, 1:27 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #18

I am feeling no personal attacks at all like you said "a curse". I still own LOTS of Boba Fett items most if not all has design flaws, but I still enjoy it. Of course your right I have a choice to buy or not to buy. One of my favorite items just happens to be my first Star Wars toy. The first the 3 3/4 Fett ever released .
    Feb 16, 2010, 1:58 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #19

My favorite Star Wars items of all time are my old action figures from when I was a kid. They weren't exactly accurate, but it didn't matter, they were enough to fuel my imagination.

Don't want to pay $500? Fine, then don't. The business side of it will take care of itself one way or another. Last time I checked, that wasn't really the point of thedentedhelmet. I love accuracy too....just not to the point that it makes me bitter.
  20. Feb 16, 2010, 2:03 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #20

Well Ladies & Gentlemen, looks like SSC has the first sale! LOL!
    Feb 16, 2010, 2:17 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #21

I did not say that I was buying it. Even if I loved it I don't have money sitting around for these types of things right now. My issue is more with the culture of the boards. My aim is to be positive and constructive. You obviously don't have to agree with me and as I said it's not personal.
  22. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Feb 16, 2010, 2:26 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #22

sorry
    been real edgy lately
    Last edited by slave1pilot; Feb 16, 2010 at 2:35 PM.
    Feb 16, 2010, 2:59 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #23

Quote Slave I said: View Post
    Guys, this is the problem with using replicas as source material. Here we have a classic example of a replica of a replica. ALWAYS use the actual reference items, don't try to replicate someone else's replica.
    I couldn't agree more!
  24. Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Feb 16, 2010, 3:05 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #24

Why does it have to have that quizzacle "puppy dog doesn't understand" head tilt? I thought Fett was meant to be more meanacing?
    Feb 16, 2010, 4:40 PM - Re: Boba Fett life-size bust #25

Shockwave... in my opinion its not the fact that it isn't the best quality or exactly the most menacing. I was just saying for the price they are going to ask for it, I'd rather build a more accurate, wearable bust for a few extra bucks. You're right, there will be people out there that will pay a decent penny for this. I was just stating I've seen better. I don't think its a matter of arrogance... more or less a passion for the hobby. These people DO shoot for perfection. You aren't going to find a better, more talented group of people who know every scratch, every imperfection of Boba's armor like these people. It's only natural to critique something you are passionate about. It happens with everything... If that bust comes out and its a decent price for its quality, then awesome.

El1te