Boba Fett Costume Insurance

formerly old_jedi_mind_trick Bobby Fett UK's Avatar
    From
    Manchester, England

Boba Fett Costume Insurance

Hi guys. I am getting real close to finishing my costume, and to be honest trying not to think about how much it cost to put together (the wife may find out).

Anyways, I started to think about what would happen if it was destroyed or stolen. Now after 12 months of putting this together, if the worst happened I would want to simply order finished parts, fully painted to replace it with the minimum effort and regardless of cost, which would probably be around £4000(ish).

Now I am sure my contents cover will apply for any single item up to a certain value (about £2000 I think) but does any one have a policy, or the suit listed with a value for insurance purposes?

From
    Norwich UK

Re: Boba Fett Costume Insurance

You know Rob, I was thinking along the same lines. I think another problem would be trying to convince an insurance company that your 'fancy dress' costume really is worth thousands of pounds.

I would probably insure mine for about £3000. I think to get another to the same standard in parts and time would come close to that sum.

better ring my insurance company lol

From
    Manchester, England

I would be after an insurance value to allow me to order everything finished, I would rather not put the effort in again, not so soon anyway. So the insurance value I would require would be enough to try and commission the "dressing the real fett" guys to build it, so I guess much more than the actual money I spent, with my effort covered also, if that makes sense?

Let me se what I can come up with, 501st clearance may be advantageous when it comes to legitimizing the costing? Also, I think that basically if you say that is the cost then the premium will follow from there and proving the cost is secondary if required at all?

From
    Middlesbrough UK

Bobby Fett UK said: View Post
    .....the wife may find out .....
    man I am so glad I am not the only one who has this problem. It takes a lot of effort to screen postman and hide stuff in garage. And I say this with all honesty adn no smiley faces.

I never really thought of insurance, but ur right, I am currently totally up some of the stuff in my garage atm - and it is an astronomical amount.

Isnt a costume insurable for wot ever cost u are willing to pay a premium on though?

or alternatively - it could be classified as a personal item on indeterminate value eg heirloom etc. as some of the lids in my collection certainly are now. I mean - ultimately to the non-collector; its just bits of ABS and FG isnt it.

I will defiantely be phoning my insurance company to add it as a "insurable collection"

Good luck!

Nate

From
    Newport News, VA

There are some insurance companies that offer "collectibles insurance."
    Maybe try calling some companies where you are and see if they offer anything like this.

From
    Palombia

Isn't Lloyds renowned for insuring jus about ANYTHING?

http://www.lloyds.com/

I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    From
    Phoenix, AZ

The cost of insuring something this valuable would cost a significant amount. But here is an even bigger problem when dealing with this issue: what happens if it does get lost or broken and you need to file a claim? The answer is a multi-week process requiring a lot of paperwork. Furthermore, something has been broken or lost that is not easy to replace. And I do believe the insurance company keeps the item if it was damaged.

So my point of view is that this is a lose-lose situation. You pay a hefty fee, and it's all for you having to wait and fight for the chance you'll get compensated. This is why I do not dare ship my costume or check it on an airplane.

From
    Manchester, England

Good points you make JB. To be honest the thought only occurred to me yesterday, It is not something I am stressing about, but all the same I thought it an interesting topic and not one I have seen discussed.

An additional consideration is a house fire, which is my highest concern, ware and tare are things you can try to keep to a minimum and then replace items as and when, I was thinking more about total loss of the complete suit.

Any more thoughts, or has anyone got theirs insured?

From
    Carlow, Ireland

It's a tough one this, it would probably have to be itemised (each part individually).
    Another factor to consider - for insurance purposes, would it depreciate in value or increase in value over time or just remain at the same value????????

we have an extra rider on our home owners insurance due to all of the crazy stuff i have... it won't help if the suit gets trashed at a con, but if the house blew up, i'd get extra $$ to cover replacing all my collectibles.

From
    The Netherlands

stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    we have an extra rider on our home owners insurance due to all of the crazy stuff i have... it won't help if the suit gets trashed at a con, but if the house blew up, i'd get extra $$ to cover replacing all my collectibles.
    Thats very nice! I'd love to see my collectible $$ back if my house blew up.

But $$ is not everything psychological value cant be paid back in $$
    I dont know we have insurances here in Holland for these kinda things, hmmm.

It's probably worth having a chat with your insurance company Rob, although I think most people working for an insurance company would simply be confused at best by what we do. No harm in checking though.

From
    Cheshire, UK

Would be interesting if you persue this one Rob. Let us all know how you get on Rob.