Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: AVATAR

Fair enough, but er, again, never made the point something has to be 100% original to be good. None of the movies I love and worship are 100% original. Rest assured none of my own films to date are 100% original nor will any in the future be. Doesn't mean they are not good nor are they bad. Just because one may like science fiction movies in general does not mean one necessarily must like all science fiction movies, either. I have been in the movie industry for some time now, especially in the 3D field and I have a very deep appreciation of the artistry of Avatar. Heck, I was even offered a job on Avatar (I turned it down because the pay was too low). I have friends who worked on it. I am proud of the job they did. But if one doesn't dig the story, doesn't matter much about how good it looks. And if someone thinks it was like The Lion King, well, actually that's something of a compliment because that's a darn good movie. At least, I think so. But there's no accounting for taste, right?

From
    Pittsburgh

Hahaha, yes. Lion King is an amazing movie. Not sure how avatar was like Lion King or how it being like Lion King made it bad but it was to dead eye. Haha. I know what you are saying. I just get frustrated with overly critical people. I am not in the movie field but I am a 3D artist/animator so I REALLY appreciate that film. Many people don't know what really goes into something like that. It's incredible. In defense, I haven't even heard people say the story was bad.... It's not the most amazing story ever but it has some interesting concepts and ideas that are original and even if predictable at times doesn't make it a bad movie. It's a motion picture... visuals are involved and it does matter how it looks. If a good story doesn't have good acting or visuals, id rather read a book of it. I think story and visuals come hand in hand and if one lacks a little than the other can pull through for it. By the way, I watched a lil trailer for your Horses on Mars short film. Seems fun!

El1te

From
    Huntsville Alabama

Lufo1138 said: View Post
    Just about everything IS derivative. Star Wars is highly derivative. Nobody is faulting Avatar for that especially. The problem is, Avatar is highly derivative (nearly plagiarized) of a really lame kid's cartoon from the early nineties that has been largely forgotten because it is a movie for babies. Heck, District 9 is highly derivative (watch the first two minutes of Alien Nation). But I'd take District 9 over Avatar any day because it is full of interesting, somewhat sophisticated ideas as well as a plot line that, although not perfect, whips around corners you can't really predict. Someone please give Neill Blomkamp $300 million to make a movie.
    I'm totally with you on the District 9 thing. I do think overall it is a better movie than Avatar. They took an old idea and made it seem fresh again. D9 proves you can have action, special effects, AND a good story.
    Anyway, my personal criteria for a good movie is short and simple. Was I entertained? With Avatar the answer was yes. Sure, it lacked intellectual depth but it was a fun experience.

Ok it was nice to see

nice effects and stuff

but a real thin Plot... CloneWars: Thundercats feat. Pocahontas.
    And i critizize this much CG...

I am a Moviemake myself and focus films with an other eye

Ok infact i hate overused CG-effects. (the Boba Fett which holds the rope in ROTJ was more awesomer then the CG Jango)

And Avatar was all about CG.

F***ing the Eyes of the viewer - they will be overwhelmed...

But i dont regret seeing Avatar in Cinema and paying 16$ for my ticket.
    Atleast i was entertained for a couple of hours XD

From
    Knoxville Tenn.

I’ve seen it three times, my wife sees movies for free and does a movie review blog, sometimes I tag along.

In short, the movie is pretty…its way too long and the story is just rehashed and way too politically correct for my taste. I got real tired of dancing/chanting blue hippy natives that pray to the fiber-optic tree of life and can do no wrong. While the hero of the film is nothing more than low-level traitor to his fellow service men.

I’m sad they are going to do a sequel, it’s a huge waste of resources that could be used for other things.

From
    Toronto, Canada

I agree...very well put! I will pass on the sequel if/when they bother making it. Happy I saw it but once was enough.

From
    THE OC , Southern Cali

If you don't see this movie in Imax 3D then its a waste of your time. I couldn't imagine seeing it any other way now that I saw it in that format, unbelievable.

great movie ,didnt the avatars look a bit like the tirbe from the clone wars cartoons ,or is it just me.

From
    Milton Keynes, UK

I saw this a couple of days ago in 3d and was a bit sceptical about the 3d technology used.... Now there's no point talking about the film as a lot has already been said from the weak story line to the so called hidden messages (that cracks me up).. the main talking point should be the 3d technology used.... Did it work for everyone? I soent the first 20mins concentrating on looking for all things 3d... but then when I relaxed, I found the movie more enjoyable... I found the movie too dark, but I guess that's was due to the 3d glasses.... also at times, you could see blurring (a lot as a matter of fact) on ones peripherial areas of vision.... it's almost as if the 3d technology had a central focus of optimal operation..... Simple story line, predictableending and not a gungan insight... lol. Kinda reminded me of the Endor battle though... hehe.... As good or better than Starwars... no way, not a chance.... never...

I have to admitt, i'm waiting for this to be released on Bluray