Re: AVATAR

i saw it in 3d.great movie.
    when they make ep4,5,6 in 3d?:-)

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

vadr_h8r said: View Post
    I think we found his next movie! We have been promised a Halo movie for the last 5 years!!
    I'm pretty sure Cameron's next big movie is going to Battleangel, which is an adaptation of the manga "Battleangel Alita". He's said if Avatar works out the way he wants it to then BA is the next big thing for him. He wants to make sure the technology is ready to tackle it, so I'm guessing it's going to be a BIG movie.

From
    Pittsburgh

I finally saw it and loved it! It's not 3 hours long, 2 hrs and 42 min long. Not too rediculous. The CG was AMAZING! It set a huge milestone for CG animators. Best part about it was how everything worked. Good sense of emotion, fun plot line, AMAZING WORLD. Coming up with a new world, with new creatures and have it flow and the viewer buy into it is VERY hard these days, especially with how rediculously picky viewers have gotten. It's one of my top fav movies. The characters, ideas, creatures, concepts, all was very original (aside from the very halo-ish ships hahaha). What were they called in Halo, Pelicans? lol. Overall it was top knotch. Took CG to the next level and provided a wonderful world to get lost in. How you can hate or think it was an okay movie is beyond me. Learn to freakin enjoy something, overly critical people lol!

El1te

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

I thought Avatar was great. I actually went into the movie not expecting it to be more than flashy eye-candy, but I actually fell into the story and dug it. The only thing I didn't enjoy is the headache I had after because of the 3D. I guess my brain isn't used to the whole convergence/accommodation thing yet. Maybe I should watch it a 2nd time and see if that helps.

From
    Pittsburgh

Hahaha, yeah the 3D does get goofy after a while. 2D is was great. I loved it.

From
    Irvine, CA

Saw it in 2D and loved it. I will be seeing in IMAX 3D on Saturday.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

Foxbatkllr said: View Post
    Saw it in 2D and loved it. I will be seeing in IMAX 3D on Saturday.
    my closest imax that could be showing avatar in 3D only ever shows movies about bears and wolves. curse you west yellowstone!!!

by the way, i just want everyone to know this is my 1337 post. so from now on everything i post is in the upper echelon.
    Last edited by saint_nasty; Dec 31, 2009 at 3:21 PM.

I am so relieved to know I wasn't the only one thinking of Fern Gully as I sat in the theater watching this. However, with exception to the opening sequence (SNORE), it is a visually stunning tour de force of CG animation. Of course, when you hire EVERYBODY in the state of California to work on it (check the end credits) you are bound to have enough man power to pull off a high level of production value.

The story is simple, but that is not the problem. The problem is the ideas behind the story are simple. And that is bad. Trite and sophomoric. Aimed at 6 year olds. Cameron returned to his message from The Abyss but left behind his masterful storytelling. Its a disappointment because he is such a good filmmaker, but here he basically remade Fern Gully. I was hoping before I saw it that the South Park episode slamming Avatar for being "Dances with Smurfs" meant that it would at least have the emotional complexity and depth of one of my favorite films (Dances with Wolves, not the smurf thing), but sadly this was not the case either. There are so many good sci-fi scripts floating around hollywood, and tons of brilliant literary material to adapt, it is a shame that so much effort and such amazing artistry was wasted on such a lame and mindless story.
    Last edited by Lufo1138; Jan 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM.

From
    Pittsburgh

Lufo1138, make us such a movie then.

El1te

TehEl1te said: View Post
    Lufo1138, make us such a movie then.

El1te
    trying.

From
    Pittsburgh

Excellent! I can't wait to see it

El1te

Great movie! I am real biased when it comes to Sci Fi. However, this movie had a great story and message!

From
    Arkansas

I absolutly loved it. I'm planning on seeing it two more times this week. It wasn't just some super CG flick, it was an EXPERIENCE.
    But the ending totally sucked...

...because it HAD one.
    It hurt me so much at the end to leave the lush, beautiful, vibrant Pandora and come back down to Earth.
    And what I don't get about the haters saying "It's so unoriginal and all it is is Dances with Smurfs" Well, if they're such masters of originality then WHY do they keep using that stupid South Park joke, huh?

From
    Pittsburgh

I know what you're saying Sareth. It's like if there is anything in a movie that has been seen in other movies, its deemed garbage. They had guns. This movie sucked. lol. People are so overly critical today.

El1te

From
    Carlow, Ireland

I loved it too, it was mostly about the visuals but who cares, it was one of the best cinema screenings I've seen ever!
    It's impossible to please everyone!

I saw it today.... I miss words for it... loved it.. not becouse the storry, not becouse the effects... I loved it becouse all was so nice together ! 10/10 !!!

From
    Chicago, IL

Saw it over the weekend. It was pretty good. I actually almost felt sad leaving the theater. It was a beautiful world to live in. When I was a little boy, I always dreamed of flying around like that. Being able to jump from place to place with out fear. Specially Jumping off a hill onto a waterfall.

Just my 02.

From
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Definitely a movie that needs to be seen in theaters, preferably on an IMAX screen. 3D didn't really do anything for me, atleast, not any more than the IMAX did.
    As everyone else has said, definitely a movie we've all seen before ( a friend of mine likened it to Smurf Pocahontas IN SPAAAAAACE), but a fun little movie all the same.

From
    Huntsville Alabama

FINALLY saw this movie. All I can say is This was another good Cameron film. The guy hasn't let me down yet.
    I'll tolerate the environmental message as long as it's wrapped up inside a good entertaining film.
    AS far as being done before, I think if you try hard enough, you could call just about anything derivitive.

oneone1111 said: View Post
    AS far as being done before, I think if you try hard enough, you could call just about anything derivitive.
    Just about everything IS derivative. Star Wars is highly derivative. Nobody is faulting Avatar for that especially. The problem is, Avatar is highly derivative (nearly plagiarized) of a really lame kid's cartoon from the early nineties that has been largely forgotten because it is a movie for babies. Heck, District 9 is highly derivative (watch the first two minutes of Alien Nation). But I'd take District 9 over Avatar any day because it is full of interesting, somewhat sophisticated ideas as well as a plot line that, although not perfect, whips around corners you can't really predict. Someone please give Neill Blomkamp $300 million to make a movie.

From
    Madrid, Spain

I did see it in 3D... good movie !!!

It was like a mix of some cowboy movies, vietnam, alien...and ... some others.

= )

From
    Ocala, FL,

The whole **** thing was predictable. I saw everything coming 30 min into the film. not to mention like most said it was like the lion king or something.
    glad I only paid $5 to get in

From
    Pittsburgh

Who cares if parts of it were "predicatable". Enjoy a story. Enjoy the world they created. There were many original ideas in that movie. Who cares if the idea is similar to another movie. That can be said about so many things... If the story is similar to an old FORGOTTEN baby tale... then whats the big deal, they revived it in a very epic way. There are tons of movies out there that share the same qualities, story elements, plot lines, etc... with other movies. As I keep saying, people need to learn how to actually enjoy a film. It's like they forget how to be positive. Also, watch your language. May want to read the rules a bit.

El1te

TehEl1te said: View Post
    As I keep saying, people need to learn how to actually enjoy a film. It's like they forget how to be positive. Also, watch your language. May want to read the rules a bit.
    El1te
    Look, that's great that you liked Avatar. Take heart. You are definitely not alone. However, contrary to what you are implying, I enjoy plenty of movies. "Learning" how to enjoy a movie is not really an issue. Suppose for a second that you did not enjoy the movie Gigli, for instance. Maybe far-fetched concept, I dunno, but then what if someone who obviously liked Gigli then told you "you need to learn how to enjoy movies, what's the big deal, forget what you don't like about Gigli, it was a great movie. You have forgotten how to be positive." Now maybe that would be enough for you to see past its plot problems, the bad acting, the stale ideas. Maybe. Maybe not. I dunno. Or maybe you might realize you arrived at an opinion that was different from this other person because you see things the other person does not, and vice-versa. And then you tell them, "It's great you like Gigli. I'm glad you liked it. It doesn't mean I have to like it. I much prefer movies like The Empire Strikes Back" and then just be on your way. Something like that. Cheers, mate.

From
    Pittsburgh

If all it takes is a few predictable parts and a story that may have similarities to that of others to make a movie bad then I really hope your movie you say you are making iis 100% original Lufo. I'm not saying people HAVE to like avatar. I just think its weird that something as simple as predicting what might happen next and elements of a story that people see in others (like that never has happened before) are enough to deem the movie horrible and a waste of $5. To me, that seems like people forget how to just sit down and enjoy a movie for what it is. It's obviously set a benchmark, especially in the world of 3D graphics. It's different if someone says "I didn't like how the environment looked" or "I didn't like the idea of the avatar, its just not my thing" that is a legit opinion. Sure, maybe people don't like movies that have fantasy like that in them, then they dont like avatar. That is different than saying what dead eye said "The whole **** thing was predictable. I saw everything coming 30 min into the film. not to mention like most said it was like the lion king or something.
    glad I only paid $5 to get in "

Lion King? really? I guess the "or something" justifies your wacky connection to it right?

It's people like him I am talking about. Something like that. Jolly Good....

El1te