Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Nov 10, 2008, 11:34 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #126

and another one...
    Nov 11, 2008, 9:48 AM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #127

I ordered near the beginning of the year and got it within about a month and a half. I will always recommend him if you are willing to wait 6 weeks to 4 months to get it. If you dont know how to make the stuff yourself and dont want to pay a lot of money, Ruffkintoys is pretty much your only option. Which is why he is so busy. Dont pay if you dont wanna wait, and learn to make stuff on your own. Thats the only advice I can give.

And watch the caps locks on TDH, I've seen people get banned in threads like these...
    Nov 11, 2008, 11:17 AM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #128

Ruffkin Gauntlets are aweseome! I will always sing his praises.

The other nice thing. I lost a little piece, and for a few bucks he mailed me the replacement piece.

He's a great guy. I'm used to terribly eBay purchases so I wasn't upset with the communication!
  4. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Nov 11, 2008, 12:45 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #129

Quote Wolfie said: View Post
    I ordered near the beginning of the year and got it within about a month and a half. I will always recommend him if you are willing to wait 6 weeks to 4 months to get it. If you dont know how to make the stuff yourself and dont want to pay a lot of money, Ruffkintoys is pretty much your only option. Which is why he is so busy. Dont pay if you dont wanna wait, and learn to make stuff on your own. Thats the only advice I can give.

And watch the caps locks on TDH, I've seen people get banned in threads like these...

once again, someone defends the obvious...it is not the waiting, wolfie....it is the lack of communication, and the lieing about stuff being ready to ship, and it not happening...why do people keep defending this guy? you keep saying make the stuff yourself...if you cant, then wait...waiting is not the problem!! problem=no communication + empty promises + lies about timeframe + lieing about stuff being ready.

you defenders of this guy need to read the post some more....it has absolutely nothing to do with waiting...it has to do with waiting 6 months when PROMISED 2-4 weeks, then being told that the stuff is ready to ship, and then it doesnt...you are blind because it didnt happen to you...if the guy tells me straight up front, "look, it will be 6 months to get your gauntlets..." , i then can make a decision on whether to go with his gauntlets or not...if he tells me 6 months, and doesnt come thru, then i should get a refund... if he is that busy, and cant live up to promised timeframe, the solution is simple...stop taking orders brother!!
    Nov 11, 2008, 12:57 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #130

Its just a matter of luck I suppose. Every time I've emailed him I got a response and it was reasonably accurate. As to whats up with him lately, I guess its buyer beware! Which is unfortunate, but I agree he should indeed be upfront about his wait.
    Nov 11, 2008, 1:13 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #131

again we have no problem with the waiting ,why cant chuck be upfront instead of leading us on saying its a 2-4 weeks befor we get our stuff then no communications ect as FettDad said ealier !!!
    Nov 11, 2008, 1:34 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #132

Man, I am sorry to hear that this is still going on. Ruffkin has always been a stand up guy in the past. Obviously something has changed.

As I have said in many posts, on many boards, it's all about managing expectations. If people knew when things were coming then they could make a decision as to whether to wait or get their money back.

While I have heard nothing but good things about Ruffkin in the past (and I am sure that everyone will eventually get their orders) this kind of abuse is inexcusable. Sorry you guys are going through this.
    Nov 11, 2008, 1:40 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #133

Sing Ruffkins praises all you will. I went to him because of his excellent reputation, and was hoping (very much) to get to work with his products within the few weeks he promised. 5 months later i'm just wanting to get them, or a refund.

This whole situation is just.. tiring. If he was upfront with how long things would realy take him, we wouldnt even be discussing this situation. If he would communicate with people more frequently, we wouldnt be in this situation... period.
  9. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Nov 11, 2008, 1:42 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #134

Quote Rokeim said: View Post
    Sing Ruffkins praises all you will. I went to him because of his excellent reputation, and was hoping (very much) to get to work with his products within the few weeks he promised. 5 months later i'm just wanting to get them, or a refund.

This whole situation is just.. tiring. If he was upfront with how long things would realy take him, we wouldnt even be discussing this situation. If he would communicate with people more frequently, we wouldnt be in this situation... period.
    Nov 11, 2008, 2:03 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #135

Quote Rokeim said: View Post
    Sing Ruffkins praises all you will.
    Huh?! What the heck?! When did I do that?

Pretty sure that I said he needs to communicate better.
    Last edited by Bubba Fett; Nov 11, 2008 at 2:10 PM.
    Nov 11, 2008, 2:16 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #136

Sorry for any mistake.. that quoted line was intended for jon_meadowbrook
    Nov 11, 2008, 2:34 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #137

Quote FettDad said: View Post
    you are blind because it didnt happen to you...
    that is ENTIRELY untrue.

i have been "lied to" by just about everyone i've ever bought from in this hobby.

i've bought 2 jet packs from ruffkintoys and BOTH took WAY longer than estimated.... much, MUCH longer. and i rarely/ever got updates along the way. so this EXACT same thing happened to me TWICE with the same person. i think my gauntlets actually did come fast, but that's because i bought a set he had up on ebay rather than a direct order.

if you look at my fett suit, i'd say 3/4 of it took at LEAST 5 times longer than the seller told me. and there was almost never any communication after the money changed hands. and we're talking multiple artists over a period of years, and we're talking parts that cost WAY more than a set of vac formed gauntlets.

that's what i've been saying all along. i'm NOT defending chuck so much as i'm saying that it's an unfortunate fact of life in this hobby.

cry out all you want about it being wrong. it is wrong, no-one will deny that. it's just not likely to change any time soon. it's like raging against the economy being in the toilet. yeah, it's a pain, but it's not changing any time soon, so why get all worked up over it? i can complain about the economy all i want, but it's not going to actually make it recover

that's why i say that if you don't like it, do it yourself. your options are, effectively, do it yourself or throw your $$ out there and hope for the best. if you can't/won't do the former, then you have to do the latter.
    Nov 11, 2008, 2:36 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #138

also remember that promises don't mean so much to everyone. don't impose your own beliefs/ethics/whatever on other people, or you'll be disappointed.

your suit/event/whatever may be very important to you, but it might not be all that important to the person with the molds, and that's the person with the power.

yeah, i'm feeling particularly cynical today.
    Nov 11, 2008, 2:37 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #139

Oh, got it.

Sorry, just know how upset everyone is...
  15. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Nov 11, 2008, 2:41 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #140

Quote stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    that is ENTIRELY untrue.

i have been "lied to" by just about everyone i've ever bought from in this hobby.

i've bought 2 jet packs from ruffkintoys and BOTH took WAY longer than estimated.... much, MUCH longer. and i rarely/ever got updates along the way. so this EXACT same thing happened to me TWICE with the same person. i think my gauntlets actually did come fast, but that's because i bought a set he had up on ebay rather than a direct order.

if you look at my fett suit, i'd say 3/4 of it took at LEAST 5 times longer than the seller told me. and there was almost never any communication after the money changed hands. and we're talking multiple artists over a period of years, and we're talking parts that cost WAY more than a set of vac formed gauntlets.

that's what i've been saying all along. i'm NOT defending chuck so much as i'm saying that it's an unfortunate fact of life in this hobby.

cry out all you want about it being wrong. it is wrong, no-one will deny that. it's just not likely to change any time soon. it's like raging against the economy being in the toilet. yeah, it's a pain, but it's not changing any time soon, so why get all worked up over it? i can complain about the economy all i want, but it's not going to actually make it recover

that's why i say that if you don't like it, do it yourself. your options are, effectively, do it yourself or throw your $$ out there and hope for the best. if you can't/won't do the former, then you have to do the latter.
    you bark about us crying about waiting...dude, when i am told 2-4 weeks, and it is 6 months or longer, dude...c'mon...the seller should refund my money and have some integrity...the integrity comes in to play by being honest up front about the timeframe... and it goes way beyond us barking about it...it is a matter of fact that people are being lied to, and it needs addressed...kudos for you for getting your stuff...but dont get onto to someone that feels cheated, stolen from, and lied to...that aint cool...if you tell me you are going to ship something the next day, and it is 3 months later when you actually ship, i dont care who you are, how patient you are, it is wrong...and people need to know to not buy from this guy.
    Last edited by FettDad; Nov 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM. Reason: tone
    Nov 11, 2008, 3:03 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #141

i wouldn't say i'm being "holier than thou", though i see how it could come off that way, and i'm sorry if i did.

i'm just speaking from bitter personal experience.

you've said that you're unhappy. you've said that you think it's wrong that he's not communicating. that's all there for the world to see, so anyone thinking of ordering from him can find it.

i guess the thing i don't get is what you actually hope to change by getting so angry over the whole thing? you've made the point known that you're unhappy. what more is there to actually *do*?

i never understand anyone who is just lashing out wildly without a goal... it just doesn't seem to achieve anything.

if anything, the reason i keep stressing that this is pretty common is so that the people reading this know that the reality of the situation is that this is not rare or isolated to just ruffkintoys, and that you shouldn't be surprised when it happens.
    Last edited by stormtrooperguy; Nov 11, 2008 at 3:08 PM.
    Nov 11, 2008, 3:03 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #142

18. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Nov 11, 2008, 3:10 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #143

popcorn makes me happy...
  19. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Nov 11, 2008, 3:11 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #144

Quote stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    i wouldn't say i'm being "holier than thou", though i see how it could come off that way, and i'm sorry if i did.

i'm just speaking from bitter personal experience.

you've said that you're unhappy. you've said that you think it's wrong that he's not communicating. that's all there for the world to see, so anyone thinking of ordering from him can find it.

i guess the thing i don't get is what you actually hope to change by getting so angry over the whole thing? you've made the point known that you're unhappy. what more is there to actually *do*?

i never understand anyone who is just lashing out wildly without a goal... it just doesn't seem to achieve anything.

if anything, the reason i keep stressing that this is pretty common is so that the people reading this know that the reality of the situation is that this is not rare or isolated to just ruffkintoys, and that you shouldn't be surprised when it happens.

you are right, point made, and point taken...*sigh*
    Nov 11, 2008, 3:14 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #145

I like chocolate milk....
    Nov 11, 2008, 3:14 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #146

yay. I'm glad its calming down before ban hammers get thrown LOL

mmm popcorns.
  22. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Nov 11, 2008, 3:21 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #147

Pie > popcorns
    Nov 11, 2008, 3:24 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #148

Depends on the pie... Pecan > Pumpkin < Popcorn
    Nov 11, 2008, 3:52 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #149

yum yummmy lol
    Nov 11, 2008, 10:53 PM - Re: Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy? #150

stormtrooperguy is correct that long waits from costume makers in this hobby is the norm, not the exception!!! On average the only time you really get parts right away (from ANYBODY) is if they have them pre-made. Not just Star Wars costuming either.....ANY type of high end costuming. I've been in this scene for over a decade now and it's always been the same way.

COMMUNICATION:
    That's just how this hobby is because every costume maker has a life outside of making your parts and doesn't spend 24 hours a day sitting at their computer waiting for people's PMs or making parts 24 hours a day either. That's just like saying some random stranger gets mad at you for not doing whatever job you do for 24 hours a day, see how it sounds? ....and if they were sitting at their computer all day waiting for messages ( or TYPING THEM when they always seem to have massively filled inboxes ) then they wouldn't have time to be in the shop making your parts, right? Not every costume maker is like this, but practically all of them. You just someday receive your props on your doorstep and are thrilled to get them and begin working on them.

REFUNDING MONEY:
    Here's how most prop guys see it I think....someone comes to you and thrusts money into your hands. Would you seriously say "no, I don't want your money?" I don't think so. That money helps pay your bills and your supplies to continue making props for people. This is not only about Chuck, but ANY costume/prop maker. So, someone comes and is excited to give you money, and you tell them it'll take a while to make (since you already have other peoples orders to fill) and you say "fine" and pay the maker. Then whenever they have time to make your things (around everyone else's small and/or large orders and/or real life stuff they have to do), they make your stuff and mail it to you. As has been mentioned, obviously many transactions from many suppliers never fall within the timeline that you want them to, but you still eventually get your package in the mail, right?

I can see some people get all worked up over it, but I must be of a different mindset because for me personally, as long as I GET the parts I ordered at some point, then I did get them and all is good. Example, I had a full extensive costume built for me at one point years ago and waited over two years for it to arrive, but it did arrive and that's all I wanted. I have no hard feelings towards the seller either. I've personally had costume stuff arrive fast and stuff arrive slow from a variety of sellers, and as long as I get my parts, I'm all happy.

I've only spoken to Chuck one time on the phone since his neck injury a few months ago, and that was weeks ago. He said he was still having some short-term memory loss and was working on peoples orders as fast as he could. He still isn't fully set up in his new place yet either, so besides working some of his days on doing things like painting and sanding walls and cabinets, running new electrical wires, etc to have a comfortable place to live in (with cold winter fast approaching), he's spending the rest of the time during his days filling orders from more message boards than just TDH. Honestly that's all I know, but I have met other "prop guys" besides Chuck and just about every single one of them has had people complaining about them on the boards at one time or another over the years, and it's always the same complaints about everyone, either the wait time or the lack of daily updates you're so anxiously waiting for. Like was said by another long time member, stormtrooperguy, that is part of this hobby and if you can't make stuff yourself, then you must wait for artists who can make the parts you want for you.