Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 26, 2008, 1:14 PM - Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #1

UPDATED ON LAST POST
    Help me out brothers and sisters. About a week ago I noticed I had been bitten on my belly by, more than likely, a spider. It looked like 3 small blisters grouped together. Well, now it has turned very dark and I have been feeling bad for the past week. Light headed, a bit queezy at times and I have been very tired. Also getting mild headaches on the left side. I suspect I may have been poisoned by a brown recluse. Anyone who has been through this please chime in. I am going to call my doctor tomorrow but my wife is on me to do it now.
    I would post a pic but I don't want to gross anyone out or frighten any children. If any experts want to see the bite, I'll post it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Star Wars Chick; May 27, 2008 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Language-Please keep it family friendly
    May 26, 2008, 1:19 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #2

dude...if it was you need to go to the doctor

I had a friend get bitten by one and it was very serious.
    May 26, 2008, 1:23 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #3

Although I've never been bitten by one, I've done enough research on them due to encountering tons of them... GO TO THE HOSPITAL NOW!!!!!!

The bite will be become very painfull, and will eventually start to ooze black puss!! The bites can then run a very high risk of becoming gangerous/infected. The venom dosen't work as fast as a Black Widows, but it's just as dangerous.
    May 26, 2008, 1:33 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #4

uhhh.....yeah, I think you better go in right away!!!
    D
  5. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    May 26, 2008, 1:35 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #5

Brown recluse bites are very dangerous.
    The bites cause necrosis and can grow to as large as 10 inches in diameter

Get thee to a physician
    May 26, 2008, 1:35 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #6

Hate those things!

Had a Marine and a Soldier get bit. At first they were ok, one guy had to go to the hospital the other didnt need to. But it its that bad id say GO! That venom can start to kill off the skin around the bitten area. Then the doc has to cut out the bad skin.
    May 26, 2008, 1:43 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #7

Butterbean,
    Have you had abdominal pain?
    I strongly suggest you go to a local ER to seek treatment.If it is a spider bite you dont need to wait.You cause more damage by waiting.
    I have not been biten by one but I have done research for wilderness survial first aid training.
    Their vemon can cause "flesh rotten"(tissue decay) problems.I am asuming you have cleaned the wound with cool water and soap once you noticed you were biten.If you did that that should have helped with cleaning any vemon from the tissue but your blood stream could be in danger.
    I read it was three weeks but did you happen to get a good look at the spider so you can describe it to the doctors to make sure it was a brown recluse.I know it is a strech to suggest that you saved the spider.
    My prayers are with you...good luck withthis
    May 26, 2008, 1:48 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #8

I've not been bitten by a brown recluse but I have been bitten by a spider, the bite went necrotic within two days and five years on I still have the scar. Go to the doctor now. I tried to fix it on my own for a month and all I ended up with was a huge hole in my leg. Get it fixed sweetheart.
    May 26, 2008, 1:53 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #9

Dear god. Don't like the looks of that leg....I did not see the spider. I have not had a fever or anything and I would think that would be a symptom. I have just felt...off...for a few days. Here is the bite, it does'nt look like much but it is quite tender.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bite 2.jpg 
Views:	9750 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	24806  
  10. formerly LOPERO Scoutleader's Avatar
    May 26, 2008, 1:58 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #10

Yes it is not that bad but still the vemon(if any) might be in your blood stream which is causing the feeling bad syptoms.
    I still say ride to the ER and have them look at it.If it is a insurance issue(lack of)keeping I understand wanting to wait.I have been there before.It might not be nothing but atleast make your wife feel better.
    Last edited by Star Wars Chick; May 27, 2008 at 8:05 PM. Reason: Language- please keep it family friendly
    May 26, 2008, 2:32 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #11

That is more than likely a brown recluse bite.....to the doctor you should go
  12. 99centTaco is offline 99centTaco
    May 26, 2008, 2:37 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #12

I've seen them in person...go to hosptial..NOW!!!
    May 26, 2008, 2:44 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #13

It's best to go to the ER only to find out that you've over reacted... as the alternative is far worse.
    May 26, 2008, 2:52 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #14

I'd go get it checked out.
    My wife was bitten on the leg by a spider a few years ago. We were never 100% sure it was a brown recluse, but the doc thought it was likely. She still has a thumbnail size scar on her thigh to this day.
    Spiders. . . blech!
    May 26, 2008, 2:55 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #15

Jayme, I've seen what they can do. Get the the Hospital ASAP. Hope you get better soon.
  16. May 26, 2008, 2:57 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #16

friend of mine had his wisdom teeth removed and the dentist gave him some painkillers which made him very groggy, he fell asleep and one bit him on the forehead, he had a rotten spot the size of a half dollar when it was all over and done, go to the hospital.
    May 26, 2008, 3:52 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #17

GO NOW!! That round red area around the bite wound does not look too good.
    May 26, 2008, 4:17 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #18

Thanks everyone! I'm going to the doc first thing in the morning. I'll let you know the results. There's no doubt it's a spider that got me, I just hope it was not the B. recluse. We have some other nasty looking wolf spiders and such in the house now that the weather has broke.

The good news is now I can scale walls and go after that S.O.B. Green Goblin!
    (just trying to lighten things up a bit, I hate going to the doctor)
    May 26, 2008, 4:29 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #19

Those blisters also look like 'shingles'. They usually form around ones midsection and are extremely tender to the touch. They are usually brought on by stress and can have other physiological symptoms. I've had them before and the 'off' feeling you are having could be a risidual effect. Nevertheless, you do need to see a doctor ASAP.
    May 26, 2008, 6:51 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #20

Go to a doctor who knows about these things ASAP. This thing can be necrotic! See the pictures above! I was in south america 10 years ago and was bitten, not by spiders but by ticks. I returned home after about 2 months and had this red ring around the bite. When I called the doctors, they said they couldn't do anything unless I had taken the tick with me. They were not experts in exotic diseases they said..! So, no diagnosis.. and who knows how those tick bites work. Wish I had kept the tick and gone to a doctor immediately.
    May 26, 2008, 7:20 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #21

brown recuse spider bites start killing the tissue as soon as they bite you. the the affected area will start very small, then will continue to radiate in a circular manner. the only way to stop it is to cut out the affected area. the longer you wait, the more you have to get cut out!!! that doesnt look like a brown recluese bite but do not take the wait
    and see approach. most poisonous spiders attack the nervous system. and trust me you dont want to go through that!
  22. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    May 26, 2008, 8:13 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #22

I was bitten at night by a spider. I was told it was most likely a brown recluse (as they were very common in the area) but will never know for sure. As with flo fett, the bite went necrotic and a huge "plug" of dead tissue eventually fell out. I still have a scar from it. As everyone has said... go get it looked at asap.
    May 26, 2008, 10:10 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #23

As everyone else said, get to a doctor.
    May 27, 2008, 3:15 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #24

Did some research and went to the doctor. Due to the fact I have killed several around my basement, I was more that likely bitten by a HOBO SPIDER. Nasty thing. The headaches and flu like symptoms are right on track with the bite. The doctor did not seem to concerned and he said necrosis was not spreading. Got two antibiotic scripts and and there is nothing more to do at this point. If you get a chance, google the HOBO SPIDER. Pretty interesting.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE AND WELL WISHES.
    May 27, 2008, 3:48 PM - Re: Anyone ever been bitten by a brown recluse? #25

Wow, glad it wasn't a brown recluse!

We have both hobo spiders and the giant house spider around here which both leave nasty bites. I've been to the clinic on several occasions because of them. Since I moved into a house a few months back, I've caught more than my fair share of them. The worst is when I'm in the rec-room watching a movie and I see one book it across the floor in the dim light. Freaks the heck out of me and yes, I scream like a wee girl when I see one!
    Last edited by Star Wars Chick; May 27, 2008 at 8:07 PM. Reason: Language- Keep it family friendly please.