Subscribe
    Apr 8, 2010, 3:15 PM - Any such thing as too many hobbies??? #1

My beautiful wife is a coorperate accountant and keeper of our combined purse strings (controls the money). I mentioned that I needed to buy another item for one of my hobies.
    She said, "You have too many hobies!"
    I immediately cringed as though she had he-byotch-man-slapped me.
    I quickly explained that that was like saying, "There is too much cheese on my pizza" or "We have too much money in the bank!"

I thought long and hard about it and broke down my major hobies:

Fett/Star Wars Costumes
    R/C Helos and Planes
    Video Games
    Golf
    Scuba Diving
    The Air Force (strange to be a hobie but when its the reserves, after 21 years its a hobie)
    Gun Collecting
    Hunting
    Fishing
    Sky Diving
    Skiing
    Boating
    Classic Muscle Car Restoration (we have 4 scaled down from 6)
    OU Football
    NFL Football
    Flying
    Biking
    and of course my 3 kids and two Great Danes

This is by no means a complete list but its what I enjoy.

My question to you, "Is there a such thing as too many hobies?"

Don't give me the usual answer that if it takes away from your family or at what price. Just the question of is there a such thing?

Gimme your $.02
    Apr 8, 2010, 4:03 PM - Re: Any such thing as too many hobies??? #2

"Sweetheart, you're right. I have too many hobbies, but you know what? I don't have enough mistresses!"

ZIIIIIIIIIIING!!
    Apr 8, 2010, 4:40 PM - Re: Any such thing as too many hobies??? #3

i think "too much" is defined as whether or not you feel overloaded by it.

if you find yourself regularly saying "i really want to go to that golf tournament, but i've got a troop that day" or "sorry, i can't go skydiving today, i've got an rc coptor meet", you might be splitting yourself too much.

another thing would be if you started to be bad at them all. like if you gave the kids the dog food and the great danes went skydiving.
    Apr 9, 2010, 8:58 AM - Re: Any such thing as too many hobies??? #4

Quote stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    i think "too much" is defined as whether or not you feel overloaded by it.

if you find yourself regularly saying "i really want to go to that golf tournament, but i've got a troop that day" or "sorry, i can't go skydiving today, i've got an rc coptor meet", you might be splitting yourself too much.

another thing would be if you started to be bad at them all. like if you gave the kids the dog food and the great danes went skydiving.

LOL!!! You guys are killing me! As I clean my monitor from the mouthful of Monster that just exploded from my mouth!
    Apr 12, 2010, 2:06 AM - Re: Any such thing as too many hobies??? #5

I personally don't think you can have too many hobbies. There is nothing saying you have to do them all at once... go trooping one day... fly the copter the next weekend... etc... Makes coming back to other hobbies more enjoyable since you don't do them daily or weekly. The issue I run into is all my hobbies are EXPENSIVE so it is money that stops me. Costuming, hockey, drums, cars, paintball, conventioning, gaming, 3d modeling (oddly enough the 3d modeling is the most expensive hobby... the software is NOT cheap! ha). To answer your question again... NO, never enough hobbies, if you are passionate about it, do it!

El1te
  6. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Apr 12, 2010, 8:34 AM - Re: Any such thing as too many hobies??? #6

I don't know about "too much" but one can definitely be spread too thin, making everything one is interested in suffer.
    Apr 12, 2010, 8:57 AM - Re: Any such thing as too many hobies??? #7

yes you have too many hobbies........Give up the OU football first and replace it with UT..............then concentrate on Fett, biking (road and mountain), guns and hunting ( add bows if you don't have that already). Keep the kids right before and included in the hobbies too.

Then if there is any time left over you can watch a romantic comedy with your wife.

edit and change your screen name to Bevo Fett
    Apr 19, 2010, 9:34 AM - Re: Any such thing as too many hobies??? #8

Quote Mullreel said: View Post
    yes you have too many hobbies........Give up the OU football first and replace it with UT..............then concentrate on Fett, biking (road and mountain), guns and hunting ( add bows if you don't have that already). Keep the kids right before and included in the hobbies too.

Then if there is any time left over you can watch a romantic comedy with your wife.

edit and change your screen name to Bevo Fett
    I could do all that but I am afraid my hobies would suffer after the full frontal labotomie. However, when I start drooling down my shirt and wearing adult diapers and was no longer able to spell university let alone actually attend one I would qualify as Fexas Alumni! Tuck'm!

BOOMER SOONER!!!
  9. Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Dec 24, 2011, 7:37 PM - Re: Any such thing as too many hobies??? #9

Old thread but caught my interest. Was married for 10 years. I got the same arguement from the ex. Everytime I wanted something for a current or new hobby I had to make room be selling off an old hobby. It worked for us till I sold my paraglider... I've missed that thing ever since.
  10. Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Dec 25, 2011, 2:32 AM - Re: Any such thing as too many hobbies??? #10

I am having to think about starting new hobby.
    I currently horse ride, collect replica medieval guns, re-enact the wars of the roses period, collect replica props and will soon start re-enacting the 1st World War and of course I am a dedicated freemason.
    I have been asked if I would like to join a jousting group, but that would mean around 8000 for armour amongst other things, not sure if I have the time though.

Craig
    Dec 25, 2011, 12:50 PM - #11

Too many hobbies...you can never have too many hobbies after the divorce papers are signed! Just kidding just kidding....