Subscribe
    Jun 11, 2009, 12:27 PM - another supernerd: when was the first reference to "palpatine" #1

As a kid, I knew that the emperor's name was Palpatine. But where was that first reference? When did they actually *call* him Palpatine for the first time?
    Jun 11, 2009, 12:42 PM - Re: another supernerd: when was the first reference to "palpatine" #2

I know some of the older westend (or was it Westcoast)??? sourcebooks for the RPG made mention of Palpatine...beyond that, I can't ever remember him as anything but the "Emperor" till the resurgence of SW interest in the early 90's with the "dark Empire" and Tim Zahn books. Definately didn't call him that in 83, but I was a pretty young kid at that time, and probably wouldn't have noticed anyway. I imagine that some of the original scripts or posibly the novel adaptations in the 80's made ref to palpy though.
    Jun 11, 2009, 1:14 PM - Re: another supernerd: when was the first reference to "palpatine" #3

I don't recall them ever calling him by name in Empire or ROTJ. Movie-wise, the first time they called him Palpatine was obviously Episode I.
    Jun 11, 2009, 1:32 PM - Re: another supernerd: when was the first reference to "palpatine" #4

I'm pretty sure it appears in the original Star Wars novelization circa 1977-78.
  5. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Jun 11, 2009, 4:19 PM - Re: another supernerd: when was the first reference to "palpatine" #5

It's in the PROLOGUE to the original noveliztion where the backstory was given explaining how the republic fell. The book first came out December of 76.
    Jun 11, 2009, 6:06 PM - Re: another supernerd: when was the first reference to "palpatine" #6

it's in the credits too isn't it?
    Jun 12, 2009, 6:12 AM - Re: another supernerd: when was the first reference to "palpatine" #7

Correct, Yodakiller...in the original novelization, in the prologue...

"Aided and abetted by* restless,* power-hungry* individuals* within* the government, and the* massive* organs* of* commerce,* the* ambitious* Senator Palpatine caused himself* to* be* elected* President* of* the* Republic.* He promised to reunite the disaffected among the* people* and* to* restore* the remembered glory of the Republic.
    **** Once secure in office he declared* himself* Emperor,* shutting* himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the* very* assistants* and boot-lickers he had ppointed to high office, and the cries *of* the* people for justice did not reach his ears."
    Jun 12, 2009, 10:49 AM - Re: another supernerd: when was the first reference to "palpatine" #8

thanks all! a star wars mystery solved!
  9. Jun 17, 2009, 10:44 PM - Re: another supernerd: when was the first reference to "palpatine" #9

Threads like this are fantastic. Little mysteries and history lessons, they're fascinating!
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Jun 18, 2009, 2:42 AM - Re: another supernerd: when was the first reference to "palpatine" #10

Quote tinstar5541 said: View Post

"Aided and abetted by* restless,* power-hungry* individuals* within* the government, and the* massive* organs* of* commerce,* the* ambitious* Senator Palpatine caused himself* to* be* elected* President* of* the* Republic.* He promised to reunite the disaffected among the* people* and* to* restore* the remembered glory of the Republic.
    **** Once secure in office he declared* himself* Emperor,* shutting* himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the* very* assistants* and boot-lickers he had ppointed to high office, and the cries *of* the* people for justice did not reach his ears."

Yes, very well done. Just to be thorough, that's paragraphs four and five on page one of the 1976 novelization.