Ammo belt history

Ammo belt history

I dont know if has been discussed in the forum, but I'm guessing it has already been talked about. I'm just in the middle of building my ammo belt, and I have noticed looking at the pre pro belt that the belt looks painted. Especially as the concept developed through the pre pros to the ESB, the belt seemed to change colour. What I can make out the belt used is actually white from the Supertrooper stage as you can see white flecks but what I cant work out is how they painted it without painting the stitching? Maybe they reproduced the process. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts?

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Re: Ammo belt history

Super trooper belt was white, painted brown for the films...its been discussed somewhere. Good eye

From
    Newport News, VA

Depends what they used to paint/stain/color it brown, and what kind of thread was used
    for the stitching. Some dyes or stains don't adhere very well to synthetic materials.
    If they used synthetic thread to do the stitching on the pouches, the dye simply may not
    have been absorbed by the thread.

Here's my belt weathering thread where I kind of did the reverse of what they did. I used
    some white shoe polish to simulate where the brown dye cracked and split, showing the
    original color.
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/w...mo-belt-26602/

Thanks for replies, the colours of the belt were baffling me on which colour to go for! Its difficult to work out what the original colours were under the different lighting conditions. They tend to relect different shades, the natural lighting is a useful gauge. Superjedi, youve nailed the colours and the texture is just right. What are your thoughts on real leather vs synthetic? Also, looking at the ESB fett it looks like its been glossed a bit with shoe polish?

From
    Boerne, Texas, United States

Don't forget that the belt was vinyl as well.

From
    Newport News, VA

Baronsfield, just to be clear, I didn't make that belt. That's a superb leather belt I
    purchased from member 99centTaco several years ago. He did all the leather dying
    and assembly. I just weathered it.

There are some pretty realistic leather-look vinyls out there that would be perfectly
    suited to doing an ammo belt. Before I upgraded to my Taco belt, my first one was vinyl.
    It looked great and even had a little leather texture to it.

I'm glad I started this thread! Plenty of info. It would be tempting to start with white and try to recreate the process, probably too difficult though!