Subscribe
    Dec 4, 2012, 5:39 AM - Airbrush recommendation? #1

Going to start on my ROTJ Boba and was wondering what a good airbrush kit might be, I'm willing to spend approx $100, also, will an airbrush produce a better result than just regular hobby acrylic paints, or even your everyday type canned spray paints?

-Ajay
  2. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Dec 5, 2012, 11:57 AM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #2

Can't recommend airbrush but after getting a compressor that only goes 25psi I will recommend you get one with a broader range
    Dec 5, 2012, 12:28 PM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #3

My cousin is an artist by trade in NYC and has been in art all her life. She swears by Thayer & Chandler and actually gave me an older one many years ago. They are not very well - known but they have been in business over 90 years and make a very reliable product. Here is a search for them over on Amazon or you can buy right from their site. The T61-3 Vega 2000 is only $50 over on the Zon but their highest model goes up to about $90.
    Dec 5, 2012, 12:37 PM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #4

Just spoke with her and the Iwata HiLine Series and the Paasche Talon are a couple more she recommends for the kind of stuff we would be doing with it.
    Last edited by zihyer; Dec 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
  5. Dec 5, 2012, 1:42 PM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #5

You may want to ask SpideyFett or Superjedi. They have been using airbrushes for some time and I would trust their recommendation.
    Dec 5, 2012, 2:10 PM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #6

Love my iwata. I only got it because I already had a compresser. Think I paid $150 for just the airbrush gun and hose.
    Dec 5, 2012, 2:56 PM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #7

Awesome info, thanks everyone.
    Dec 5, 2012, 4:38 PM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #8

I have a Pasche as recommended by deadland and really like it. I think I paid $50 on ebay brand new. My only recommendation would be to clean it after every use religiously! Good luck.
  9. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM - Airbrush recommendation? #9

What about compressors? Anyone have any recommendations for airbrush compressors that won't break the bank, but still do a good job? Thanks!
    Dec 30, 2012, 3:00 PM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #10

Quote ZacMuleer said: View Post
    What about compressors? Anyone have any recommendations for airbrush compressors that won't break the bank, but still do a good job? Thanks!
    I got one of these and it's been good to me. I've also seen it mentioned by model painters on youtube say it's good and fairly cheap. New Powerful Airbrush Air Compressor w 3 5L Tank Air Regulator Filter Free Hose | eBay
    Dec 30, 2012, 6:09 PM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #11

I use a full size dewalt compressor with holding tank . Not much more than a nice air bush only compressor. You'll need a regulator and a dryer/ moister collector . Good thing is u can run nice tools off of it. Air up tires, blow off bench , etc bad is its a lot louder still best option IMO

Dec 30, 2012, 11:32 PM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #12

Like dlzx9r I run a larger compressor than the hobby "airbrush" compressor. Mine is a portable pancake compressor. In addition to the above advantages mentioned, a compressor with a tank means that your air flow will not be prone to pulsing which can happen if you are working directly from the compressor with no tank to act as a buffer. Since it is portable I keep it in my basement and run an air hose to the garage or upstairs work room when I am using it and it keeps the noise level nil when I am working. It can scare my wife pretty good if she is watching TV though. :P
    Dec 31, 2012, 4:45 AM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #13

I live in an apartment so using a full size compressor and tank setup would not be possible. If you have the space, yes, you get more bang for your buck. If not, then getting a purpose built compressor with a low noise level a better route.
    Dec 31, 2012, 9:59 AM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #14

Quote locitus said: View Post
    I live in an apartment so using a full size compressor and tank setup would not be possible. If you have the space, yes, you get more bang for your buck. If not, then getting a purpose built compressor with a low noise level a better route.
    Absolutely. Everybody's situation is different.
    Dec 31, 2012, 10:42 AM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #15

True that I was running mine at 2 am this morning wife got up a little po'd better that a neighbor calling the cops. Lol.
  16. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jan 2, 2013, 11:45 AM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #16

LOL - thanks. I'm trying to decide between the TC-20 with or without the tank. Right now, I'm in an apartment, but will be moving within a year to a house, so maybe the one with the tank will be better in the long run.
  17. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jan 2, 2013, 11:53 AM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #17

I guess, then, the question would be, how common a problem is the pulsating from the TC-20 (without the tank) on small projects like armor or helmets? Locitus, is yours with the tank as well?

Would anyone recommend the no-tank option?
    Jan 2, 2013, 12:00 PM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #18

Quote ZacMuleer said: View Post
    I guess, then, the question would be, how common a problem is the pulsating from the TC-20 (without the tank) on small projects like armor or helmets? Locitus, is yours with the tank as well?

Would anyone recommend the no-tank option?
    I have the one with a tank, and generally from what I've read it's always best to go with a tank. It might not be a huge problem with pulsation, but then again it's better to be safe than sorry.
  19. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Jan 5, 2013, 1:57 PM - Re: Airbrush recommendation? #19

I have an Iwata SmartJet Studio compressor, and the 'pulsing' on these modern tankless airbrush compressors is no big deal. I get a smooth, consistent coat on my model projects every time. I'll admit that I kind of broke the bank when I bought it... $400 CDN with shipping from an online art store in the US.