great thread with pics too!
great thread with pics too!
Agreed,this is a very great thread,the pics really give you a sense of what to do,this will be my benchmark for my own gauntlets.
I have a question if i may ask, the curve templates, Im taking a guess that the inner part of the template is for the smaller end and the outer curve is for the larger end of the upp and lower shells with those templates respectivley?
Nice work Mr. im so time poor i cant wait to take this project on...
May I ask where s the link to this so I may give this a try? Your help would be much appreciated.
any chance a fella could get one of you master craftsmen to cast a set of these for him?
they look great
I looked at the left gauntlet blueprints, but did not see an "upper half" like I did on the right. What gives?
webchief came over and laid down some silicone on the infamous right gauntlet. nearly a year after assembly was complete, i'm almost ready to actually have a wearable right gauntlet!!!
Great job. I wish had the time, errr, skill...lol to do something like that.
looking great and the idea to use a sign is just amazing, I think Ill follow your example and go pick up a few when I eventually get around to my gauntlets
So we're finally wrapping this loooooooong project up!
While I was molding the right arm, I also made a new mold of my revised left arm. I fixed a couple of things that I didn't like in it, and this seemed like a great time to do it. I did NOT remold the flamethrower, since that was fine. No reason to replace perfectly good rubber! Note that the gauntlets aren't all wavy as the molds might make it appear... There is a lip over the top of the gauntlet, and that lip isn't trimmed straight.
I used plaster of paris for the mold jackets since it's cheap and dries fast. i'm painting in the resin anyway, so it's not like I have to slosh around heavy blocks. It's actually nice having a base with some weight to it... Makes it stay nice and still!
And here's the first pull of the right gaunt!
And a back shot:
They are only roughly trimmed here... I have to cut the openings properly before assembling.
I also need to make up the greeblies. I'm not bothering to make resin casts of plumbing items that can be easily purchased. That just seems silly.
Same with the little bar under the whipcord housing. Why make a cast of a dowel when I can just use a dowel?
Last edited by stormtrooperguy; May 30, 2009 at 5:48 PM.
Awesome work, my friend! Nice job!
very awesome! they look beautiful!
Today is Gauntlet Day!!!! WOO HOO!!!! Be over in a few hours! HAHAHAHA
WOW!!! Awesome work man!!! I remember reading this thread a year ago. The end result is great!!
So, I went over Brian's house last night and we knocked out a pair of guantlets for me in about an hour and a half. Amazing!
It was so fun to finally be able to cast something (I've never had the chance before) and to actually say that I made my own guantlets is a pretty cool feeling.
I want to thank Brian for his generosity, time, patience, skills and supplies. A true asset to TDH community.
Is it hard to make the molds? I live in an apartment, and I don't have much outdoor space, so I need to know if it's possible to do this given my location. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
"hard" is impossible to answer... it really depends on your skills and resources.
expensive is easy... i spent about $180 on silicone, $20 on plaster, and $40 on misc stuff... wood to make the boxes, clay to plug up holes, disposable brushes, gloves. so a bit over $200 to make the molds.
it's definitely much harder to make the original than it is to make the molds... heck, even webchief was able to brush the silicone on
there are TONS of tutorials, videos, guides, etc... online for making molds. there are links in the wiki here to some good ones.
it is expensive and messy, but fun.
as far as doing it in an apartment... there are no particular odors from it, so no worries there. but you'll want a good space to work where you can afford to spill some silicone. drop clothes are your friend.