I guess I should start out by introducing myself. My name's Matt. I'm a student currently majoring in music theory and composition. I actually used to frequent some Star Wars forums when I was younger (namely the SW replica props forum) under the SN of potato2 and later darthtater. Ever since I was 8 years old, I've wanted a Fett costume. I've been going through this huge nostalgia trip over the past year or 2, you know, getting back in touch with my inner child. I suppose it was a number of factors that lead to me "rediscovering" the things I loved so much as a child. It was actually watching A New Hope in a history of film music class that reignited my love of Star Wars. Seeing that movie again, after not having scene it for years, really brought me back to my childhood and reminded me just how awesome Star Wars is. To be honest, the prequels left me less than thrilled and by the time of Revenge of the Sith my interests had drifted elsewhere.
But now I'm totally back into Star Wars and it's time for me to fulfill one of my childhood dreams. I'm going to make a ROTJ Boba Fett costume. I've actually already started putting things together and I think it's coming along nicely.
Since I am a student, I suppose this is more or less a budget suit. I definitely can't afford to spend $3,000+ on a suit at this point, so I'm making most of the pieces from scratch. I've been constructing the gauntlets out of for sale signs, bondo, and super glue using WoF's blueprints (which are totally AWESOME. This guy deserves all of the praise he gets and then some). I've got the right one pretty much put together, it just needs the greeblies and some paint. The left one still needs the flame thrower and greeblies.
I've been working on the chest armor as well, again, using WoF's blueprints. I decided to pursue the trash can route. I used a heat gun to apply most of the dents. I did the damage on the collar armor with a Dremel. I've gotten the basic painting done, using the colors from Stormtrooperguy's rattlecan list. I still need the emblem on the right breast plate and then I get to weather everything. I tell you, that masking fluid is awesome stuff. I can't get over how awesome the chipped paint looks.
I know that it's almost sacrilege, but I'm modifying a Rubies Jango bucket, at least for my first go around. I know it's on the small side, but at 5'6", I'm sort of a small dude. Plus, I enjoy the challenge. I've Dremeled out the dent and removed the ear piece/ range finder for modifications. I just ordered a T-Visor.com visor. I plan on using Stormtrooperguy's rattlecan list to paint the bucket as well.
My uncle actually had an old Dickie's jumpsuit just laying around the house that he donated to my cause. Determined to use my creativity to the max, and also to keep the spending to a minimum, I've actually used just this 1 jumpsuit to fashion all of the extra pockets and the doubled sleeve. I used a seam ripper to remove the breast and butt pockets plus all of the other extra miscellaneous doodads. Out of this fabric I constructed the thigh pockets, again using WoFs patterns. I removed the collar and used that fabric to fashion the shin pockets. For the double sleeve, my aunt helped me mark the short sleeve. I cut the sleeves off and she hemmed up the aftermath. I then took the newly severed sleeves and fabric-glued them to a white undershirt. I simply put on the undershirt/ long sleeve thingy before I slip on the newly-shortsleeved jumpsuit. The effect is stunning and it only took 1 jumpsuit's worth of material to make. I still have to do some top stitching on the sleeves to get the ribbed look, and I have yet to attach the flaps for the thigh pockets. I've been leaving the suit out in the sun to hopefully sun bleach, but if that doesn't work I plan on dusting the suit with some light grey or khaki spray paint to get it to the right shade.
I've attached some picture of my progress. Sorry for the crummy quality. My Sony Cybershot got stepped on so I'm using my phone for the time being. Please feel free to comment/ critique.