So after an extremely frustrating day in the shop I figured I would make a thread detailing my progress on my ROTJ Boba Fett costume. I started this back in November, but have just recently started some of the "heavy lifting" within the past month and a half. Any advice or constructive criticism would be highly encouraged. Thanks!
It's a hodge podge of different sources and materials; Boba Maker, Pepakura, trash can armor, rattle can paints, MOW, animefan, ALL of Rafal's templates, etc.
So for the past week I've been working on getting the helmet done. I purchased an animefan Boba bucket a while back and it is absolutely great for the money. The trimming and prep work didn't take more than a night and I got out of it without any sort of problems or setbacks. I mounted the visor using the chicago screws + rubber grommet method and I'm very pleased with the result.
Next, I drilled holes for the ear piece that covers the rangefinder, epoxied 1 - 1/4 bolts to the ear piece, and attached the earpiece and rangefinder via bolts and rubber grommets. I am still unsure whether or not I will be making the rangefinder functional or not, but I wanted the option there, so I made sure it had the full range of movement.
As I have somewhat limited funds and shop tools I decided to go with the rattlecan route for painting. I am using a combination of Rafal's painting templates and stormtrooperguy's rattlecan paint tutorial and reference photos. So far I have the back panels, the visor and red trim, and the keyholes done. I used a large amount of layering and masking and layering and masking. I used a handful of difference methods for applying the spray paint. It may be a little over weathered, but overall I'm quite pleased with it. After all, I'm not so much going for 100% movie accuracy, I'm just going for movie quality. I'm more or less using the more noticeable details as "landmarks" and doing it all by eye, so it's certainly not as movie-accurate as it could be.
Here are the back panels and keyholes
The visor is where the frustration began tonight. It seemed like everything I was doing was going wrong- my masking wasn't effective so I started from square one, then I accidentally painted the silver parts with gray only to realize "something doesn't look right"... I just about had a melt down when I realized what I'd done... but then 3rd time's the charm- I decided I'd lay down the red via spray, and brush the silver and metal colors on by hand. I'm extremely pleased with how the visor came out... AFTER 3 tries.
I'll post up the armor soon. The shoulder bells, chest plate and center diamond, and abdominal plate are all finished and just need a little weathering before I call them complete.
Thanks for looking,