WIP : An Irishmans' scratch-build ESB Boba Fett

steoconnor

Jr Hunter
Greetings all.

I've been lurking here for some months now, learning from you all and being dumbstruck by the talent I've seen. I must say I didn't think it was possible to build a Boba Fett from scratch but this community is just incredible for proving it can be done, and in so many ways.

So first things first. My budget isn't what you'd call generous, so I'm going to have to build everything by hand (save for a flightsuit and boots maybe). I also don't know how much time I will have over the coming year (which is my estimated timeframe for the build) but I will post every detail I can, in the hope that someone would like to learn from or correct me as I go along.

I don't think my tools, time or talent will allow me to produce something that will be 100% screen accurate either so I might have to upgrade as I journey on but I'll give it my best.
Also, I've never built or done anything like this before so bear with me as I stumble through it all.

So without further ado... let's begin...

To start with, I've purchased some 3mm Aluminium sheets (Aluminum to many of you :) ) to build my armour. A shout out to cyberpyrot for his teachings on how to work with this metal.

I used medium sized templates for this armour work. Traced onto cereal-box cardboard and then onto the aluminum.
I used a Jigsaw tool to cut the metal (I found out the hard way that I need to cut really close to the lines because I have to hand-file all the edges and this takes some time) :)
DSC_1369.JPG
DSC_1373.jpg

After looking at Cyberpyrots' videos and testing different hammers on the metal, I ended up using a rubber mallet which seems to have the added bonus of not marking the metal and giving a nice rounded shape to the metal when I need to add curves in places. Oh yeah I also got some tiny pieces of metal stuck under my skin (which I later had to remove with a sewing needle), so I eventually wore gloves :$
I also wore protective glasses for all the cutting and filing as those tools (especially the filing) do throw up a lot of fine metal pieces.

I started with the shoulders first. So here you can see them, alongside the other flat pieces (apologies for the light, I usually don't get to work till evening time).
DSC_1374.jpg

Then I progressed onto the other pieces once I learned to hit the metal in a straight line going down when trying to curve it (otherwise you end up with a skewed piece which doesn't look symmetrical).
I also learned that you need to check the metal every few hits to make sure your curve is progressing well.

Below: as you can see, my "workshop/garage" isn't very fancy :D
As with Cyberpyrots' metal work, I start hitting the metal from top to bottom in the straight line (between the wooden pieces you see below) to achieve a uniform curve. Then move the entire metal piece over to the left once I'm happy the curve is forming nicely).

DSC_1733.JPG
DSC_1732.jpg

I found it very hard to see how rounded the chest and abdominal pieces (and also the neck piece) from the actual Boba Fett references, but I'd welcome feedback once I have closer pictures posted.

DSC_1735.jpg

Don't mind the grey on the metal, it was a protective plastic on one side. I will peel this off in later shots...
DSC_1736.jpg

DSC_1740.jpg

So here is the roundness of the neck armour (perhaps when I make the flak vest and fit it I will be able to adjust to make it curve more accurately..)
DSC_1741.jpg

I drilled a few guide holes for the chest piece here and then hand filed the "tronics" boxes. Takes a while indeed.

DSC_1743.JPG

And here we have the fruits of my first labour... For me, this is a weeks work (an hour or 2 here and there). I now understand why this takes so long :D

DSC_1777.JPG

DSC_1780.JPG

More close-ups and progress to follow as the weeks and months progress.

Thanks so much for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how you feel I'm just starting out on my first cardboard Boba Fett lid build with my 7 year old son (a slower build since he want to have a go at everything bless him) wishing you all the best for the future development of your project I will follow this with interest

Awesome build bud. This make me so happy some one was able to use some of the methods I have used to make some homemade armor keep up the great work.

Thanks for the kind words cyberpyrot. I'm standing on the shoulders of giants here. You being one of them so far ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Man, that is beautiful stuff right there.

Nice job.

Very kind of you to say so Level3Fett. I'd love to leave it as is in all its shiny glory, but sadly it will have to be painted sometime :)

I know how you feel I'm just starting out on my first cardboard Boba Fett lid build with my 7 year old son (a slower build since he want to have a go at everything bless him) wishing you all the best for the future development of your project I will follow this with interest

I'll keep an eye out for your build thread Gaijin99. :) In years you'll look back with your kid and smile at it all I hope. I wanted to start with the helmet but I found the armour a tad easier to kick this off but would love to see your build regardless. Thanks for the comment and hope your kid gets great enjoyment from working on that with you (you never know... you may be sewing the seeds of a future Boba Fett maker there I'm sure) :p The very best of luck with it mate.

doesn't it feel god to have forged something so beautiful with your own hands.

Honestly it feels fantastic. If you told me six months ago I would begin making metal anything, (let alone real Boba Fett armour) I'd laugh it off. seeing others begin from scratch, then your video and build thread, ignited that fire mate. Can't thank you and others enough for the inspiration.

Honestly it feels fantastic. If you told me six months ago I would begin making metal anything, (let alone real Boba Fett armour) I'd laugh it off. seeing others begin from scratch, then your video and build thread, ignited that fire mate. Can't thank you and others enough for the inspiration.
You did an awesome job seeing what you did made all the videos and tutorials worthwhile. I was starting to think I would be the only person making this stuff with aluminum.

just saw this right now. you already told to start your suit but I missed it until now. looking really great! I m exited how this one will come out. good luck:)

damn dude thats dope

Thanks so much for that comment. I'll try do you and the other members proud :)

- - - Updated - - -

just saw this right now. you already told to start your suit but I missed it until now. looking really great! I m exited how this one will come out. good luck:)

Thank you alienbuilder. I might have a few questions for you shortly about how you did your fine work too. Apologies in advance for being an annoying person :D

So here is a little update/progress made and my learning along the way...

I cut a few more shapes from the paper/cardboard templates and began work on some of them...
Note, the reason for the dots along the folder line along the back armour here is when I do eventually set to bending the aluminium, that I know what path to take along the bend.

DSC_1817.JPG

Some rough cutting done...
Note: I extended beyond the guide lines for both the shoulder/neck armour piece and the back plate (the piece on the right, below) as I only get to make the cut once and I'm leaving some extra/overlap when it comes time to join the neck piece and the back armour
DSC_1823.jpg

I decided to tackle the code piece first...not the easiest of pieces...
So I trace the top cod piece (which is second from the left in the picture above) onto the main cod plate to give me an outline of where to begin shaping the lower area.

DSC_0001.JPG

And here it is sitting on top of the cod plate for reference...

DSC_0030.JPG

However, my rubber mallet wasn't up to the task this time, as I need to bend the metal in a very strict shape. Hmmm onto plan B now...
DSC_0013.JPG

So after looking on youtube I spot that you can achieve some better shaping of metal by weakening the back of it with a few well placed chisel marks (in this case I had a concrete chisel to hand)..
So I got to it... and this process pretty much starts the process for you...

DSC_0034.JPG

Ok pictures seem to behaving now so without further faffing...
I used a vice-grips (with a small piece of metal in between the teeth and the aluminium to then hand bend the metal piece by piece.
It looks ugly but the result should be ok in the end...

DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0037.JPG
DSC_0038.JPG
I check every now and then, how the curve is coming along... not too bad so far, so I keep going...

Increasing the curve more severely with each pass...

Until... nearly there.
DSC_0041.JPG

I'm happy-ish (for now)...
DSC_0044.jpg
DSC_0046.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back