Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 16, 2014, 10:56 PM - WIP: ESB Fett build #1

I've been working on this build for a few months now. Most of the time has been getting the parts together. I'm still waiting on a few items but the major components are all here. I'll try and get a list of everything that is going into the build soon. The last few weeks I have really been able to plug away at it and I have several parts that are near completion, such as the jetpack and the gauntlets. Right now I have begun painting my Fettpride V4 armor (Really nice sculpt and pull). As of now I have the base green (Humbrol 78) on over metallic silver and did some light weathering with dark green (Humbrol 76) as matte black. Still quite a ways to go but so far I'm happy with how it is turning out. Feedback is more than welcome. Enjoy.

First up is photos of progress on the armor. For attaching I have used the grommet method and decided on the bigger eye that is closer to screen size. I like the way it pulls the armor in good against the flak vest (Batninja's and it is fantastic) and I am happy I went this route. Backplate, cod and buttplate are all painted as well but no photos right now. Tomorrow I'm hoping to start laying down some yellow if all goes well.

MOW jetpack and gauntlets with JodoKast89 aluminum accessories (once again some fantastic pieces, beautiful craftsmanship)

May 17, 2014, 5:23 AM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #2

Looking good dude.....
    May 17, 2014, 5:42 AM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #3

Nice start. I like it.
    May 18, 2014, 6:53 AM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #4

Looks Sweet!
    May 18, 2014, 10:12 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #5

got some work done on the chest armor and im pretty happy with the results. didn't get to work on the shoulder bells or knees but that will be tomorrow. chest display is just temp attached to test it out. I still need to put a semi gloss finish on it to seal it good and protect it all. I'm thinking Krylon acrylic semi-gloss since I've heard good things and it doesn't yellow. Plus it will be easy on the paint. Gauntlets are just about done. I still need to put two dental files and a mini-light in right gauntlet but that will come soon. Left gauntlet is finished, unless I've overlooked anything.
    Enjoy.

May 19, 2014, 10:27 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #6

Small update today. Got some work done on the shoulder bells and the knees. Also, I reworked some of the weathering on my chest armor as I was happy with the original outcome after looking it over more. Found some better reference photos and went back to work. Much closer to screen accurate now I believe.

May 20, 2014, 1:16 AM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #7

Love the colours man. Looking tip top!
    May 22, 2014, 2:07 AM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #8

Today I finished all the armor and sealed it with a few coats of semi-gloss followed by a couple of coats of flat. Also did some test fitting with the jetpack and my harness system, which is a fan made replica of the screen used scuba harness. That harness is absolutely amazing. Light weight aluminum and I don't even notice the roughly 9 lb. jetpack on my back. I don't have the jetpack mounted in the photos I'm posting because I still need to have the harness slots sewn into my flak vest. As you all can see the build is nearing completion. Tomorrow I will either work on putting my shin tools into molds for casting or begin work on the helmet. I'll decide tomorrow. :mrgreen: The shin tools are made from actual found parts minus the Michell stylus brushes but I have cut to size two xacto scalpels that should be quite convincing. A few things left to do on the build besides the helmet and the shin tools before completion but all the major work will be complete.
    As always I appreciate any constructive feedback and if I have overlooked anything please don't hesitate to mention it.

May 22, 2014, 5:48 AM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #9

Great results.
    May 25, 2014, 11:05 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #10

Started work on the helmet today. Just prep work and adding bolts for the ear attachments. I also added in the ESB damage with my dremel. This is the Fettpride Premium in coldcast fiberglass from animefan. I have to say this is one very nice sculpt by Fettpride and cast by animefan. I'll be painting it using the topical method (first one I do not layered) after being inspired by superjedi's wonderful WIPs.

Jun 10, 2014, 6:17 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #11

Paints are all in so I have gotten back to working on my bucket. I am starting on the back panels first. After prep and priming I airbrushed on concrete to both back panels then masked off those areas before airbrushing on the bluish-green. It's still more blue than green but it's close to the reference photos I am going by and once I do more spot airbrushing and weathering should be a close match. From here on I will be hand painting the details. Using graphite paper I traced on the silver damage then applied with 5/0 and 2/0 brushes. I'll be hitting it with steel wool once it cures a bit and then any touch ups before moving onto the darker gray damage. I'm using a combination of Humbrol and Floquil paints. Following Superjedi's paint threads along with some personal advice from him I am quite happy so far with the process. Not only are the results using the topical application far superior to the layered method, but I also love using my brushes much more for this type of detailed project. Enjoy the photos.

Jun 10, 2014, 8:47 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #12

That looks tip top man! What did you apply the masking fluid with?
    Jun 10, 2014, 9:10 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #13

Thanks for the compliment. I use a silicone sculpting/color shaper fine tipped. It works great and the masking fluid doesn't stick to it much at all. Here's a photo of one.

Jun 10, 2014, 11:16 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #14

Perfect! I was wondering how to get those nice fine lines with the fluid.
    Jun 11, 2014, 6:08 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #15

Well last night I got back into my shop and was in a groove until 1:30 am. Then today I finished up the remaining details on both back panels. As of now they are both complete until I get to the weathering stage. After that right panel things should go a little smoother, lol. It's a minefield of details. Well, enjoy the latest photos until the next update.

Jun 11, 2014, 8:35 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #16

Very nice. I'm impressed with your brush work.
    Jun 11, 2014, 11:51 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #17

Thanks Robert, I appreciate the compliment. I'm enjoying the brush painting much more than the layered method. Just find I have much more control over what I'm painting.
  18. Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Jun 12, 2014, 10:56 AM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #18

Really awesome, I'm also trying to paint my armor with humbrols 76 and 78.
    I was wondering if for the shoulders you used a humbrol color? I find it hard to cover silver-11 with humbrol 154.
    Jun 12, 2014, 1:59 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #19

Hey vador68, I did use Humbrol for my shoulder bells also. I used yellow No. 154 and Orange No. 82 following the image I'll post from Jigglenomicon's thread on Humbrol colors. For the silver on my armor though, I used silver Rustoleum spray.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBN3_3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	865.9 KB 
ID:	77709
    Jun 12, 2014, 11:39 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #20

Made some good progress on the dome today starting on the cat scratch and front damage areas. Not sure how much time I'll have this weekend to work on it and may even work on something else. Should step away for a bit so I don't get burned out lol.

21. Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Jun 13, 2014, 3:52 AM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #21

Thank you so much for the picture, I did not know this picture. It will help me for my paint job I started.
    I will follow your work with interest, good luck for the helmet.
    Jun 14, 2014, 7:15 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #22

Plans fell through for today so I was able to do some more work on the dome. Right side and rear are done until I get to super detailing and weathering. Next I'll move to either the dent or kill stripes, leaving the top for last.

Jun 14, 2014, 9:35 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #23

Quote Ghostrider said: View Post
    ... It's still more blue than green but it's close to the reference photos I am going by and once I do more spot airbrushing and weathering should be a close match...
    I'm starting to see this now that the green of the dome is down. What colour did you use for the back panels? Will you re-mask and make it more green? Which reference shots are you going by? All the damage and details are looking great!
    Jun 14, 2014, 10:26 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #24

It is a bit more blue than I wanted but will be an easy fix. I'm using Humbrol green 76 and blue 96. I'll play around with the mix before I rework it. I've been using the photos in the gallery mostly the two I'll link, also the photos I've taken show all the colors a bit darker than they actually are, possibly from the LED lights I'm working under. I do appreciate the feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-08.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	374.8 KB 
ID:	77769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-07a.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	866.6 KB 
ID:	77770
    Jun 14, 2014, 11:33 PM - Re: WIP: ESB Fett build #25

Geez Louise dude this is amazing!!