Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Subscribe
    Apr 25, 2014, 1:31 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #51

UPDATE

Ok, so hopefully none of you who have tried this experienced the same issues I have with audio. Do NOT purchase the cable that I suggested in my first recommendation.

I've spent quite a lot of time troubleshooting on my phone, Audrey's phone, different scenarios...heck, I even sent my phone into Apple for a replacement thinking the issue was my headphone jack.

I'm narrowing it down to the fact that my splitter is not compatible. I spoke with the Voice Synth crew and they recommend the following splitter:
    iPhone 1/8 inch electret condenser microphone and headphone adapter - 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to 3.5mm TRS Jacks

They have experienced the same audio issues that I have had, and told me that this has proven to work. Only problem is that it's 4x the amount...at $28. STILL, this is a much cheaper solution than a dedicated voice changer (with the option to have multiple voices for other costumes). Just goes to show that the quality of the material is key in this situation.

It should ship to me within 2-4 weeks. I will update with results then. In the meantime, I will continue to make a better sounding Boba
  2. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Apr 25, 2014, 3:50 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #52

.... oh crap. My StarTech splitter arrived last week. But, I'm still waiting on my Aker amp from China. Might still be time for the iPhone cable to ship in. OK, thanks for the head-up, DeathProof!
    Apr 25, 2014, 3:56 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #53

No prob. I had no issues returning my StarTech to my local FutureShop...didn't even need the receipt. Hah!
    May 7, 2014, 8:05 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #54

Ok! Got my new cables in from KVConnection. Gotta say, they work flawlessly. I will do a more thorough test when I have more time, but just wanted to confirm that this splitter is what you need, not the StarTech one.

iPhone 1/8 inch electret condenser microphone and headphone adapter - 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to 3.5mm TRS Jacks
  5. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    May 8, 2014, 11:34 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #55

Is your headset mic an electret/condenser style mic? Maybe that's the issue with your original splitter adapter. I'm going to be using a Shure headset mic. It's a dynamic mic so it doesn't need the 48 volt power feed to make it work. Sounds like this splitter provide the 48 V phantom power a condenser mic needs...
    May 8, 2014, 2:19 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #56

I use the mic headset that came with the Aker Amp system. I tried other mics with the StarTech - Apple Headset, Sennheister lav mic.....still had issues. Maybe your mic will have better results. If you aren't sure, talk to the folks at KVConnection to confirm that you mic will work. I am not much of a sound guy so I have had to rely on trial and error, and lots of tech support to figure this out
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    May 8, 2014, 11:14 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #57

I'm still waiting on my Aker amp. I'll give it a try tomorrow with some earbuds.
    May 11, 2014, 8:48 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #58

I've taken an Aker apart and the speaker is a bit big to place behind your armor. I had the same idea. It would be very easy to use the Aker as your amp, and just switch out the speaker to something thinner that would be comfortable under your armor. You would have to put the amp part elsewhere. Normally I keep my Aker in my left belt pouch and people don't know where it's coming from.
    May 27, 2014, 7:33 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #59

Final Update!

Ok guys and gals. Here is the last video (I promise) of me going through the Voice Synth setup.

http://youtu.be/X0pyGGEWeec

I touch base on how you can use the app while your phone is locked by tapping on the "background audio" button (only in full version). This allows you to save your battery! Also be sure to put your phone into airplane mode to prevent the receiving of calls and texts.

Again, the splitter I used is: iPhone 1/8 inch electret condenser microphone and headphone adapter - 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to 3.5mm TRS Jacks

Don't forget to set your phone volume to about 37-43% to avoid feedback.

If you want the files I created for Fett and Boushh, or if you have any other questions, send me a PM.

Have fun!
    May 27, 2014, 7:46 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #60

DeathProof, thanks for posting about this app. I'm awaiting my dual adapter but in the meantime I've created a great Fett voice, as well as a decent Vader and Boushh. Greedo should be fairly easy.

Oops, just read back a few posts. Looks like I'll be receiving the wrong adapter in the mail, but not from your supplier.

Oh well, I'll order the better one tomorrow.
    Last edited by Timmer; May 27, 2014 at 7:52 PM.
    May 27, 2014, 8:08 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #61

Glad it worked for you, Timmer! I'd be interested in hearing your voice samples!

If you ordered the wrong splitter, give it a try...It might just work. Stranger things have happened If it doesn't, it was very easy to return.

I edited my earlier post so hopefully no one else gets the cheaper one
    Last edited by DeathProof; May 28, 2014 at 12:40 AM.
    May 27, 2014, 9:43 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #62

That's really nice and can't beat the price...
  13. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    May 28, 2014, 12:31 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #63

I'm using the DeathProof's voice synth settings with an Aker amp, a Shure dynamic headset microphone (because I already had one around and the StarTech is cheaper), and the StarTech splitter originally recommended. The original splitter works with dynamic microphones, like my Shure mic. However, I'm pretty sure the Aker headset mic that comes with the amp is a condenser microphone. They need to draw power from whatever they are plugged into, hence the special adapter.

With all the app settings (background audio, etc) demonstrated by Deathproof activated, it's one low-cost kick-butt setup!! Highly recommended!!
    May 28, 2014, 4:43 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #64

Glad to hear the splitter works on a better microphone! I tested it on three others and I guess none of them were dynamic. Good to know!!
    May 28, 2014, 6:54 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #65

I'll have to try out a new mic then.

Thanks for for the tip!
  16. Member Since
    May 2014
    Jun 11, 2014, 12:30 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #66

After doing some reading, I placed an order for the recommended adapter. I have a variety of different microphones I could use, but I'll just use my Aker mic. Let's just hope my phone is compatible. It listed very similar models, and my model listed OEM headset compatibility with ones listed on the adapter.

I haven't seen much experimenting on the Android side of the house though. I downloaded RoboVox (mentioned earlier in thread), but need the adapter to really play around. Has anyone else had any luck with RoboVox or similar app? No need to reinvent the wheel lol.

Thanks!
  17. Member Since
    May 2014
    Jun 14, 2014, 10:24 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #67

Well... Robovox for Android is pretty good. On the fly processing for live conversion and the ability to save/name your own presets. I don't know how close I came to Boba, but the R-Dalek effect seems close to me. I also tried the app Phantom I/O. No where near the options of Robovox and was easily getting more feedback compared to Robovox (figure that one out lol).

For some reason, the adapter did wreak a little havoc with my phone. A simple reboot and it was back to normal.

If anyone knows of any other Android app, let me know and I'll give it a whirl.
    Jun 15, 2014, 6:07 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #68

Well, I've received the updated adapter and it works really well with the Aker headset mic. Since it sounds a bit different coming out of the Aker then it does the phone, I'm going to redo my sounds. I'm pretty happy with its quality.

Some tips for those using the Voice Synth app. When using the equalizer, you want to raise the upper mids, and decrease the low mids and bass, Make the high end just clear enough so that you can be understood.

Don't use delay or reverb, it will muddy up your voice. Use auto clip to make your voice distorted, but don't go crazy.

Ill see if I can post something up with pics or video.

Anyone one know how long the iPhone battery life is while running voice synth?
    Jun 15, 2014, 2:38 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #69

I haven't tested it fully, but my phone only went down 5% over 3 hours when locked. I would think it be fine for longer troops. Looking forward to your videos + settings!
    Jun 15, 2014, 3:28 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #70

That's really good!

By locked, do you mean using the number security code?
    Jun 15, 2014, 5:04 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #71

I mean, the screen is off (black). If you have a password, that's really up to you.
  22. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jun 20, 2014, 10:28 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #72

Has anyone found an Android App that would effectively alter their voice in real time?
  23. Member Since
    May 2014
    Jun 20, 2014, 2:46 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #73

Quote T90 said: View Post
    Has anyone found an Android App that would effectively alter their voice in real time?
    Give Robovox a shot. It was recommended earlier in the thread. I've been playing around with it and find it rather easy to use.

I'm 'hoping' someone posts what voice they use. I'm still trying to find that right sound for Boba. I like R-Dalec, but apparently, according to friends, my sense of hearing is pretty messed up lolol.