Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Apr 11, 2014, 9:32 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #26

For that kind of money, I'm all in! I wonder if the app would work on an older iPhone or iPod? That way you don't have to worry about the incoming call thing. You could probably block incoming calls or texts too, just for a troop. Even set the ringtones and alerts to vibrate only.
    Apr 11, 2014, 9:44 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #27

Yeah, I'm sure you can disable your carrier, or go in some kinda "airplane mode" where you don't receive calls/texts. To save battery, I would also dim the screen down.
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Apr 11, 2014, 12:16 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #28

Good call. PM incoming.
    Apr 12, 2014, 6:14 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #29

Quote Deatheroof said: View Post
    Some might even say...most impressive....

har har har
    Dammit. I can't believe I missed this oopportunity! Seriously the Vortex 2 is awesome especially as it's impossible to create that deep kind of reverb without something like it. Not sure whether I'd stretch that far for the other characters. It was very expensive.
    Apr 12, 2014, 8:25 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #30

Any more thoughts on this?...have the hyperdyne labs sound board,which suck$ ***** complete waste of money has never worked right almost think micro$oft made it....
    Apr 12, 2014, 9:03 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #31

Try my solution and see if you like it. I'll make another video with a helmet on so you can hear it better just from the amp.

I can email you the preset so all you have to do is install the preset after you purchase the app. Will require some tweaking with your own voice to how you like it.
  7. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Apr 13, 2014, 2:30 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #32

Quote DeathProof said: View Post
    Hey guys!

Here's a quick video on the voice changer that I've been playing around with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7cOJ0GyYso

Supplies

1. Aker 1505 Amp (with supplied microphone, speaker and male to male cable)
    2. iPhone 4s
    3. Voice Synth App from the App Store
    4. 4-pin to 3-Pin audio mic/headphone splitter

The audio sample in the video isn't the greatest - recorded on an iPad, plus my own voice kinda overpowered the speaker and I didn't want to get feedback.

Things to REMEMBER: You MUST connect both the speaker and microphone cables BEFORE you plug in the splitter to your phone. Otherwise the speaker works without the mic (for some odd reason). Also I have not found a way for this to work with the phone locked. I'm debating putting some type of protector over the phone to avoid buttons being pushed while in my pouch. Finally, ...if you receive a call while using this...well...maybe you should set your ringtone to the Imperial March or something

Other voice changers can be oodles of dollars. The splitter was $8, the app was $5. Not a bad deal.

IF you are interested in this.....GUESS WHAT....I can EXPORT the presets that I made and EMAIL them to you! You just need the Voice Synth app to install them!

Let me know what you think!
    This is pretty awesome. I just bought an aker the other and just been practicing my boba voice haha, but might look into seeing if they have something for android.
    Apr 13, 2014, 1:44 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #33

I have been looking at what Aaron came up with but don't have an iphone. My phone is an android found a couple of apps called Robovox Pro ($1.99) & Phantom I/O ($.99) that I am going to try that looks like it will possibly work in the same manner. Both look like they have different adjustments but not sure about saving presets though. I have to get the splitter to see how this works.
    Apr 13, 2014, 9:57 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #34

Hey everyone!!

New video uploaded with new sound test :: http://youtu.be/pSd2rLoeyEg

NoGoodToMeDead requested a video with a helmet on so you get a better idea of what it sounds like when I'm further away from the camera.

I had some huge issues today just as I was trying to record this. For some reason Voice Control just wanted to keep playing music. Also had issues where audio was cutting out. It was driving me nuts. I unplugged cables, turned everything off and on, etc. As far as troubleshooting goes, it wasn't the mic/speaker/cables, but the phone. I put the phone into 'airplane mode' and also in 'do not disturb.' I also set my all my alerts to silence. This way I shouldn't get any text noises. Didn't test that yet, but I'll get my partner to text me the next time I do a sound check. I'd hate for anything to go off while on a troop.

Hope this is a better representation of the preset that I made. Again, I was looking for a little distortion, and not to use too much of a raspy voice so I wouldn't 'lose' my voice.

....after watching the video I was laughing pretty hard....my normal and raspy voice really didn't have much difference....

If anyone else attempts this, please post your results as I am interested in troubleshooting other problems that might come up.

If you don't have an iDevice of some sort, I'm sure you'll find something similar on android devices. You just need an app that allows you to edit a live sound feed. If you do find something, let's see what you come up with!
    Apr 13, 2014, 10:04 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #35

That's great Aaron! Really sounded cool as the Boushh voice. Impressed with that you didn't spend rediculous money on it too. Does the phone cause it to time out after you turn it on?
    Apr 13, 2014, 10:05 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #36

Quote toolguy301 said: View Post
    I have been looking at what Aaron came up with but don't have an iphone. My phone is an android found a couple of apps called Robovox Pro ($1.99) & Phantom I/O ($.99) that I am going to try that looks like it will possibly work in the same manner. Both look like they have different adjustments but not sure about saving presets though. I have to get the splitter to see how this works.
    As an android user, I'd like to hear what you come up with.
    Apr 13, 2014, 11:12 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #37

Quote syllander said: View Post
    That's great Aaron! Really sounded cool as the Boushh voice. Impressed with that you didn't spend rediculous money on it too. Does the phone cause it to time out after you turn it on?
    Put your phone's auto lock off. Again, this is for the iPhone...so I'm not sure what features android users have.
    Apr 13, 2014, 11:19 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #38

Well I ordered the splitters & should hopefully have them this week. I played around with the 2 android apps that I had found, using just the free versions today & they both have promise, but need to play with them with the external amp, which will be an Aker 1506. So hopefully will have an Android alternative. The only problem I see at this time is that the screen will have to be on all the time which I am not sure how that will be for the battery, but will have to see & will post the results. Thanks again to Aaron for doing the initial leg work on this.
    Apr 14, 2014, 1:02 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #39

I will do some tests on battery length. But if the screen is dimmed, it will last much longer. I was just fooling around with the screen dimmed all the way and over 40 minutes I only lost 3% battery.

Currently doing some trouble shooting regarding the auto music starting. Apparently if I move around the phone too harsh, hits something, placed on table too hard....my iPod music starts or Siri will activate. This is not ALL the time, and it's only within the Voice Synth app. I'm writing them an email to ask if they know what's going on. Quite frustrating.

I did read some emails saying that sometimes music can start when you plug in your headset - it's an auto iPhone thingy. This is not the case.
    Apr 14, 2014, 1:39 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #40

Great job DP, that's a nice low cost option for a voice changer.
    Apr 14, 2014, 5:15 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #41

BWAAHAHAHAHAHA! "He's no good to me dead." Awesome! Thanks for the vid!
  17. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Apr 14, 2014, 9:34 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #42

My Aker amp is on its way, and Amazon is hopefully going to ship my splitter jack today. Can't wait to try this out!
    Apr 14, 2014, 2:43 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #43

Brief update!

Qneo (Voice Synth App Developer) got back to me regarding my questions about locking the phone and the music/siri autostart issue.

First of all, good news on the locking front. There is a function called 'Background Audio' that you need to engage. Unfortunately this is only available for the "PRO" version of the app...so you gotta fork over another $5, making the app a $10 total purchase. I will do this tonight and test.

Secondly, the music auto start, he claims, is because of the 4pin iPhone jack that auto starts the music when a cable is inserted. I explained to him that it doesn't always happen, and sometimes happens mid-speech within the Voice Synth app.

He said there may be an issue with the splitter that I have, or the 4pin iPhone jack may be loose. I will go to the Apple store this weekend to see what they think.

I noticed in my search that android users share the same issue with the music auto start, but saw more hope for them in turning it off.

More news/testing to come.
    Apr 14, 2014, 3:58 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #44

Ok. So, my audio issue might be an Apple issue. After doing some reading, I've heard a lot of people have had headphone jack issues that caused voice control and music to randomly play and go crazy. Hopefully none of you experience this - it's very frustrating. I will be going to an Apple store this weekend to get the jack replaced.

Here is the Apple thread:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=60&tstart=0
  20. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Apr 15, 2014, 6:11 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #45

Boushh was on point! That was impressive.

I think the Boba needs more gravel to the voice rather than depth. Not sure if you can adjust that though. If there is a Christian Bale setting you could use that at an extremely low setting.
    Apr 15, 2014, 9:43 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #46

This is a great and cheap way to go. Thanks for sharing all your work on this, DeathProof. It's a really cool development. I just moved into the 20th century and got myself an iPhone so I may have to try this out.
    Apr 16, 2014, 12:46 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #47

Quote locitus said: View Post
    I will be using my rom/FX. It's normally used by stomtroopers. You can turn off the clicks, but keep any distortion.
    Ditto. Play with the bandwidth/distortion, disregard the static-burst mode and channel a lil' Clint Eastwood from the spaghetti westerns!

Rom/FX will plug into most amplifier/speakers with no problem.
    Apr 16, 2014, 12:52 AM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #48

Quote Lostsaint said: View Post
    I think the Boba needs more gravel to the voice rather than depth. Not sure if you can adjust that though.
    I agree. I've played with the distortion, but if I add too much it gets to the point where what I say is unrecognizable. I'm happy with what I have right now, but I agree it needs a bit more of that rock 'n' roll smoker of 30 years kinda thing. I will keep tweaking.
  24. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Apr 18, 2014, 7:23 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #49

I was playing around with my setup today a little, was having a bit of fun. I did play with a voice changer on the android market. I didn't have to tweak so much since my voice is already deeper, but the thing that was weird was if it was recorded it sounded pretty darn close to Boba. I tested in front of my roommate and he said that out of the amp it just sounded like my voice just amplified. I mean I heard myself, but figured it was the same kind of deal on how you hear what you sound like in your head and then you sound different in a recording. If any of that makes sense heh. So I think I might have to tweak a little more or move my amp further away? I'm not sure really cause I don't want people talking to my crotch or having it blast so loud it's ridiculous.
    Apr 18, 2014, 9:42 PM - Re: What are you guys using for a voice changer? #50

I haven't done a field test yet, but I imagine my amp is going to be pretty loud. Unless you're in a very quiet room, a lot of ambient noise (street, crowds, etc.) is going to cut through your amp.

What you should do to test is record a section of dialogue, and tweak that particular section until you're happy. Then when you go live, you don't need to worry about how it sounds, because when your helmet is on, your own voice will not be heard - but you will know how it sounds out the amp. Be sure to have your mic nice and close, and your amp loud enough to cut the ambient noise.