Subscribe
    May 24, 2011, 12:01 AM - What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #1

After a number of events with my fiberglass jetpack I've come to realize that 8lbs isn't a lot at first...but after 6 hours, you feel it.

I'm curious how you guys survive and what you prefer your jetpack to be made of.

Also, do you know anyone making vac-formed jetpacks these days?
  2. I helped at SDCC '08 Fett Seven's Avatar
    May 24, 2011, 12:29 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #2

I've made a few jet packs myself, and am always trying to construct the lightest and strongest. The fiberglass pack I produce with a mix of plastic resin parts(rocket, thrusters) weighs in at 6 lbs. Trying different build processes with lighter materials. If someone really spent the time, one could make a strong 4 lbs pack.
    Have not seem a vac form pack that keeps the detail of a fiberglass or rotocast pack.
    May 24, 2011, 12:31 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #3

No way is your pack 6 pounds it feels way lighter than that and if it is it's the lightest 6 pounds i have ever picked up.
  4. I helped at SDCC '08 Fett Seven's Avatar
    May 24, 2011, 12:44 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #4

Quote deadland said: View Post
    No way is your pack 6 pounds it feels way lighter than that and if it is it's the lightest 6 pounds i have ever picked up.
    Just the "base" of the pack striped down, yes I agree is light. But when you add everything on, rocket,thrusters,caps, screws for back panel, and paint, it adds up.
    Used the shipping scale at work to weigh my last pack and I was surprised the scale read 6 lbs.
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 Fett Seven's Avatar
    May 24, 2011, 12:52 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #5

Now that I think about it, I did try a lighter weight fiberglass mat on the later builds, so Deadland you are probably right.
    May 24, 2011, 1:47 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #6

Haha I look FORWARD to the day that I have my Fett done and can wear that little rocket pack, it is nothing compared to the Sandtrooper back pack that I troop with all the time now. I built it strong as hell but it's also heavy, the Fett is going to be like a vacation lol.
    May 24, 2011, 6:00 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #7

8 lbs. wow. How about the inflatiable jet pack..

Just kidding !!!
    May 24, 2011, 8:53 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #8

It will be interesting once I change my harness around to see how much that changes my back
  9. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 24, 2011, 9:58 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #9

After carrying 50+ lb rucks the 8 pounds isnt bad at all...especially with a metal framed harness
    May 24, 2011, 10:27 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #10

THAT has been the toughest physical part for me. I can take the heat, the standing, the walking, dehydration, etc... I've got a bad back as it is, and after 3 hours it's a KILLER. My shoulders and back, scream for a day. I've had 3 different vendors of JetPack, and they all put a strain on you, regardless. I currently have a BFUK and which comes in around 7 pounds. I love it. I've actually tried on a hollow, smaller, lighter, plastic version, from that "south american vendor" which weighed about 2 pounds. It was like heaven wearing it, but it would NEVER hold up for trooping. It was too light, and brittle, and it would most likely get smashed to bits in a troop. The heavier fiberglass versions are more accurate, and can take the pounding of a troop.
  11. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 24, 2011, 10:47 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #11

Like I was saying the metal framed harness will distribute some of the wieght better than a strapped harness setup
  12. I helped at SDCC '08 Fett Seven's Avatar
    May 25, 2011, 12:15 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #12

OK, I pulled some test parts out. What I mean by test parts is, new resin(dark gray) casted by hand slushing the resin in the mold to form a hollow part. The white pack is fiberglass laid in a lighter glass mat. The white add on parts are a standard plastic casting resin. The gray parts are casted a new resin I'm trying out. To add strength to the hollow rocket I added rigid expanding foam, not the Home Depot stuff but the industrial strength type. Using my bathroom scale, this kit adds 4.4 lbs to my weight. Still have to account for glue/epoxy, paint, harness hooks, aluminum beacon and or lighting kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ex pacl 002.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	53363  
    May 25, 2011, 6:50 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #13

FETTSEVEN!!!! AMAZZINNGGG!!! You are on the cutting edge! Combining the comfort of vac-formed with the strength of fiberglass! Keep the info coming!
    May 25, 2011, 6:50 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #14

Quote Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Like I was saying the metal framed harness will distribute some of the wieght better than a strapped harness setup
    I thought you were talking about carrying a 50 pound pack in the service. Was your 50 lb jetpack scratch built?
    Jun 1, 2011, 10:40 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #15

You know what's funny? My 8 lb or whatever it is MOW pack KILLS my shoulders and neck compared to my 50+ lbs Ghostbusters proton pack! No joke.

I'm assuming it's because of the Alice Pack frame I have attached to my proton pack. It distributes the weight much better. I guess that I need to break down and get the metal frame for my jetpack harness and hope that helps matters.
    Jun 1, 2011, 11:54 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #16

I am a devote subscriber to the vac formed body.

In my opinion, the pack does not have sufficient detail to warrant having a fiberglass body. Plastic with some hollow resin detail bits works wonderfully.

I have a BradleyFett Boba and my own vac formed Pre Vizsla pack. At some point I might make my own Boba kit, but no time soon.
    Jun 1, 2011, 3:01 PM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #17

Quote stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    I am a devote subscriber to the vac formed body.

In my opinion, the pack does not have sufficient detail to warrant having a fiberglass body. Plastic with some hollow resin detail bits works wonderfully.

I have a BradleyFett Boba and my own vac formed Pre Vizsla pack. At some point I might make my own Boba kit, but no time soon.
    I wish you would do a kit. It's interesting how there is so much opportunity but no one trying...
    Jun 20, 2011, 3:50 PM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #18

Can someone (MOW) just cast this thing in foam already??? LOL

I adjusted and modded my Fettdad harness with a 2 inch elastic belt on the bottom part of the harness and adjusted the length of the straps and it (the MOW version) still sucks after a few hours. It is alot more comfortable now than it was though.

Come on MOW, CAST IN FOAM!!!!!!!!!
    Jun 20, 2011, 8:42 PM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #19

Quote jon_meadowbrook said: View Post
    I wish you would do a kit. It's interesting how there is so much opportunity but no one trying...
    Jetpacks are a pain. My Clone Wars one is 3 plastic parts and 6 resin parts. It takes a long time to make a kit... Boba would be even more.
    Jun 21, 2011, 9:06 AM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #20

Soon I'll get a jetpack and the truth which is not to settle. MOW I had in mind, but what I recomendais resistance, light weight ..... etc.
  21. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Mar 12, 2012, 12:35 PM - Re: What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing? #21

I know I'm resurrecting the dead here, but I hate to create a new post on the same topic, when there's already good information here.

I've got a home-built bondo & lightweight wood Jetpack (unsure of creator). I'm unsure of the weight but it's pretty rugged. In general, I don't like fiberglass due to how brittle it is... especially on external parts that get flung around, such as the jetpack. I'll probably stick with this one for now, since I can't drop $300 on a jetpack.

I'm thinking about a MOW jetpack for the machined design look, the possible lighter weight, and higher durability (due to the resin exterior)

Does anyone else have another resin-style lightweight jetpack recommendation? One that is fairly strong (flex is fine, as long as it doesn't permanently stay that way or isn't effected by the hot sun) and lightweight with minimal fiberglass to chip/break?

I see that "Resistance" is a recommended jetpack also, but I'm not sure where to get this or how much it costs.