Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What is the accepted ESB chest light sequence?

From
    Salem, Oregon

Re: What is the accepted ESB chest light sequence?

I know of at least 7 different sequences for the bottom display (including one off). I speculate that there are 10...Least that is what I am doing for on my board.
    Last edited by Seven; Jul 22, 2008 at 2:32 PM.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

On the Shackman lights: So we will be able to buy upgrade chips for our current light sets when they are available then??? How hard are these to install??? Is it something we could do ourselves, or will we have to ship the whole unit back to the Shackman??? Just curious.
    D

My new light boards are ready! The new design will allow you to have any sequence you want up to 20 'steps'. You can see the details about the board in my other thread.

Jon
    www.Fettronics.com

From
    Oklahoma City

You all can tell me if this has already been noticed (and maybe that is how some boards already are made), but doesn't it look like the top lights each are composed of four vertical light bands like IIII . Is that what everyone else is seeing?

From
    Palombia

I see that as well

Yes, they did use 4 rectangular LEDs for each of the top 5 light sections. That might have been the only type they had available back then.

My boards use 5 large rectangular LEDs for the top lights.

Jon
    www.Fettronics.com

From
    Las Vegas, NV

Seven said: View Post
    I know of at least 7 different sequences for the bottom display (including one off). I speculate that there are 10...Least that is what I am doing for on my board.
    Wow! I know of 4. I would love to hear about these additional sequences!

From
    Las Vegas, NV

Seven said: View Post
    Still waiting to hear about these...

Me too! Do tell (and show).

Jon
    www.Fettronics.com

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

This is a silly question but here goes.

I realize it looks like the fett chest lights are 5 sections. With a row of 5 above it.

Now are they still being made like this to be 'acurate' to the original board, or is there any reason its not being done on a 1 x 3 in LCD that could be programmed to do anything.

Im just curious, while making mine, I found a lot of options for screens, pics, and interfaces, but wanted to hear from you gurus first hand.

Thanks.
    m2

My board design has gone through a lot of phases before setting on using the Micro Processor, but I've always used 7 segment displays. The one thing to consider if you want to make your boards small but still programmable is knowing how many outputs you have available on your controller chip. The chip I use has 17 usable output pins, so 5 seven segment displays and 5 top lights take up all of those. This is using a 20 pin chip. I've seen 40 pin and higher, but I've never played around with them, as I'm not sure my PIC programmer handles them. If you're talking about controlling a grid of some sort, you're talking a lot more segments to control, which would probably mean using another type of controller chip to feed in to from the Micro Processor to output the pattern.
    I just like to keep it simple, I guess. The fewer the components, the less that can go wrong, right? Although, your idea is intriguing.

Another thing to consider is that LCDs aren't very bright, even with back lighting. Do you have some links to what you're considering?

Jon
    www.Fettronics.com

From
    Las Vegas, NV

Stormrider said: View Post
    I realize it looks like the fett chest lights are 5 sections. With a row of 5 above it.

Now are they still being made like this to be 'acurate' to the original board, or is there any reason its not being done on a 1 x 3 in LCD that could be programmed to do anything.

Im just curious, while making mine, I found a lot of options for screens, pics, and interfaces, but wanted to hear from you gurus first hand.
    As technology has improved, there are definitely better ways to make the display, but I think you would find that most members would argue to have it made as close to the same way as it was, even though the technology is a bit dated at this point. Take the little LEDs at the top. The way fettronics has made them is to use 5 large horizontaly oriented rectangular LEDs which makes sense and is logical. However, the original display has stacked sets of vertically oriented LEDs to create more or less the exact same light... This approach is more tedious and doesn't make as much sense as what Fettronics originally did, but logical or not, that is what people want because it is closer to the real deal.