Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Weathering Technique

From
    Norwich UK

Re: Weathering Technique

crazy4BobaFett said: View Post
    J-
    That looks like it is a BM's vest. We all tend to make ourselves nuts over this stuff don't we? LOL

lol we do. Mind you I really like this vest as it is so comfortable. I am going to try a little light grey dye and see what results I get

i do something similar to that charcoal method, but with graphite, for a more grey color.

there are art pencils that are all graphite (no wood), and are GREAT for that.

scrape it with a razor, then rub it in.

Just the same for a flak vest, scrape and rub in. It should work just fine with your vest, unless it's something like nylon, which might have a hard time taking the weathering.

Phil

That graphite pencil idea is GREAT! I have a ton of those (im an artist) I'll use charcoal and graphite then. *bows* You guys/gals rock!

El1te

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

journeymanprotector said: View Post
    I've always had plenty of luck weathering with charcoal. You can get them in many colors, but I use black a lot.

Take the black charcoal (mine are like squared sticks of chalk) drag an x-acto knife along it, allowing the flakes and shavings to land on the piece you're weathering. Then rub it in. Lots of flakes and small area for darker patches, few flakes over larger area for light weathering.

It works great on painted plastic or material. Sadly I didn't take any pictures of it on my Fett suit, but here's an example on my Scout:

Plus it can wash out with a little work.

Phil
    Hey Phil! Armour looks great! I used charcoal on my Fett boots too, it worked extremely well. You also have to tell me how you weathered the ESB cape you gave me a while back, you did a really good job with it!

From
    Cincinnati, OH

I know what you guys mean about being nervous to weather your stuff. I have a pair of Chang boots that I got on ebay that I spent waaaaayyy too much for a few years ago that are still in perfect, out of the box clean condition. I just have a hard time bringing myself to "ruin" $300+ boots! That's why I'm saving that part for last.

Account Deactivated

never_ending_fett said: View Post
    I know what you guys mean about being nervous to weather your stuff. I have a pair of Chang boots that I got on ebay that I spent waaaaayyy too much for a few years ago that are still in perfect, out of the box clean condition. I just have a hard time bringing myself to "ruin" $300+ boots! That's why I'm saving that part for last.
    If it's any consolation,
    a pair sold on ebay recently for $425
    so, you got a cheap pair , go ahead & ruin 'em