Weathering..How to?

From
    Tatooine

Weathering..How to?

Ok I know there are a LOT of ways to do this.. one way is to run over the flight suit with my car.. or throw it in a trash can and shake..

But seriously.. I'd like to get ideas on how you guys weathered your flight suits and vest.. what did you use?

I kinda like the desert sand dirt that Boba gets on tatooine.. but not too much.. The light brown looks kinda good with the blue/grey flightsuit of the ROTJ fett.

I've seen weathering jobs that look too much.. black is not a good color to use though

I wan't the suit to look used,beaten and weathered, but not too much as to look like it "was just" weathered with haste..

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Re: Weathering..How to?

there is black and brown and khaki colors on the flight suit for the weathering... great pics of the suit
    Boba Fett Return of the Jedi Costume - The Dented Helmet Gallery
    Boba Fett Return of the Jedi Costume - Jabba - The Dented Helmet Gallery

From
    North Texas

I used spray paints. I got several earth tones and I would apply a light misting of a few colors then I washed it, dried it and repeated. I wasn't doing a Boba yet I was doing a custom but the process is the same.

Good pics to make the point F4R
    It always amazes me to see those pics and just how filthy the kit is in the movie. And we all know that it photographs cleaner than it looks in real life.

From
    Tatooine

I used spray paints
    Good idea! I could use an airbrush.. How about textile paints? I might not be able to get a matte finish on textile..

Thanks F4R for the reference pics!

From
    North Texas

I didn't worry about the finish since it all kinda becomes matte on the fabric. Most of the spray paints that I used were either satin or flat though.

Just start off away from the fabric and mist it. Then you can move closer to the material as you get the feel for the coverage. Also remember to open pockets and watch the folds in the fabric to keep from making crisp lines.

From
    Tatooine

Thanks for the tip on opening the pockets! I would have overlooked that.. I'll post pics as soon as Im done I just hope I don't overdo it.. it'll be a pain if I make a mistake..

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

go slow and you will be fine sir

From
    Northeast U.S.A

Rustoleum makes these camoflage spray paints. They are matte and very "earthy"... They come in tan, green, brown, black and I'm sure some more too. I've had success with these. I found them easily at Home Depot.

From
    Tatooine

Again..thanks for all the tips! I'll post my flight suit once i'm done

From
    Newport News, VA

I airbrushed some weathering onto my flightsuit with Createx fabric paints. They come in a ready-to-airbrush consistency right out of the bottle.
    I got some gray, brown, red, and black, and mixed up a few different dirty looking shades.
    I went heavier on the lower parts of the legs and places where clothing would tend to get dirtiest, such as the elbows.
    The Createx paints spray really nice and after they dry, you heat-set them with an iron to make them permanent. They're acrylics too, so no problem with fumes. I hung my flightsuit on a hanger over the shower curtain rod and airbrushed it in the bathroom with the exhaust fan on!

From
    Tatooine

Great tip bro! I'll be looking at some textile paints later.. when the paint dried was it matte? Or did it come out a bit shiny? The good thing about textile paints is it's permanent. I really like the brownish color that the rotj/tatooine gives out.