I've just finished making a resin US Buckle and Belt for a guy as he couldn't get hold of the real deal. I'm really pleased with the results. The buckle is decorative (doesn't actually work) but once attached to the belt and is being worn it will look just like the real thing. Here's how I made it:
- I made a mould of my original buckle and took a resin copy.
- I sprayed the buckle in a coat of very fine grade modelling primer then applied a very thin coat of automotive silver.
- Next, I lightly weathered the buckle with a black acrylic wash.
- Then I used a layer of Pewter 'Rub N Buff' followed by a lighter layer of Silver Rub N Buff. This gave it a nice metallic look and feel.
- I then dremelled two holes on the reverse and embedded a couple of small bolts into it using epoxy filler. The buckle is now complete.
- For the belt I used a good quality 2 inch black webbing and added the two 'eyelets' in the centre.
- I then added the Velcro strips on the ends of the belt.
The Velcro belt could attach to your jet pack if you wanted to actually make it a little more authentic, but once the belt is fastened it will look just like it's attached to your jet pack anyway as the back of the belt will be hidden underneath your jet pack.