Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 24, 2009, 1:39 AM - Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #1

Just got these sexy babies in today, and I have to say WOW. They are so beautiful and amazing! BobaMaker, does splendid work I have to say. I am currently upgrading all of my armor on my Fett, little by little, when I get the time and the money.
    The first pics are my new sweet armor, and the last are my current Fett, as he is today. I bought this Fett as a whole on eBay many years ago, and have been tweaking just recently. The jetpack was ESB green which I just got around to painting ROTJ. The side pouches were heavily weathered, I washed them and found out that they were actually ESB blue, only coated with some khaki dust that washed out completely (gonna fix soon). Will be working on the gauntlets first.....as soon as I can get some reference pics in the galleries that is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	38890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	38891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0080.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	38892  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0082.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	38893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	38894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	38896  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	38895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	43424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	43423  

Last edited by Sachiel9; Apr 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM.
    Dec 24, 2009, 8:45 AM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker #2

nice upgrade!!! i love BM's stuff, i have some of his armor!! super nice, ready to paint right out of the box.
  3. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Dec 24, 2009, 8:59 AM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker #3

Definately nice stuff Sachiel9.

Can you let us know what the body armor made of ? Thanks
    Dec 24, 2009, 2:10 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker #4

my old body armor is sintra. The BM armor is fiberglass.
    Jan 8, 2010, 7:47 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker #5

Update!
    Been working on the gauntlets and am almost done, post pics soon! Ran into a snag with the chest armor though. I didn't realize that I should have dull coated the silver before the yellow, because when it came time to pull the masking off after the green, the yellow came right off. Plus, I wasn't happy with the Line Striping Yellow and the Hunt Club Green as recommended by some of the other members. My green looked way darker than all of the pics I have seen by people who have used the same paint. I'm going to the store to pick up some Zinc Chromate and US Med. Green and will bust out my airbrush when it gets a little warmer outside, or I get a heater in my garage.
    Jan 21, 2010, 1:40 AM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker #6

Well, school and work have kept me occupied, but here is what I have so far. These are the first pair of gauntlets that I have ever painted, tell me what you think. I still have some work to do on them - a switch on the left along with the missile, and the hoses on the right.
    Cheers

Jan 21, 2010, 12:16 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker #7

Nice work! Man, you need to do something about that mannequin, though. Boba doesn't stand with his hips cocked to the side!
    Jan 21, 2010, 4:36 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker #8

yeah, I'm working on getting a new mannequin. That was the best I could get at the time.
  9. Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Jan 21, 2010, 5:22 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker #9

Quote TJDFett said: View Post
    Nice work! Man, you need to do something about that mannequin, though. Boba doesn't stand with his hips cocked to the side!
    HAHAHAHAHA
  10. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jan 21, 2010, 6:39 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker #10

This got me on the path of talking to DAZ about getting a set of armor...
    Apr 28, 2010, 5:50 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker #11

Update!
    Finally got around to work on the armor! Here's some work in progress. This is my first time painting the armor, and I think it's coming along. Almost done weathering, then some clear coat
  12. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Apr 28, 2010, 6:05 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker #12

looks great! more please
    Apr 29, 2010, 8:51 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker #13

So, this started with upgrading my old armor with DAZ's amazing works of art, and eventually turned into an overall revamp of my costume. I would like to extend my thanks to some of the members that have helped me out.

Thank you: Serenity for all of the awesome aluminum parts
    Fettdad for the jetpack harness and the sweet CaBoots
    slave1pilot who is currently giving my MR helmet a dent relocation and general sprucing up
    woodman for a set of bada** wookie braids
    tk409 for spats, ammo pouches, and chest display

I think that's everyone, if I forgot I greatly apologize. Hopefully I will have the whole costume put together soon. I'll be posting some more progress pics soon.
    Last edited by Sachiel9; May 1, 2010 at 2:37 PM.
    May 5, 2010, 5:13 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #14

More work done, here are my shoulders and knees. I used weathering powders I found at the hobby store to give it the aged look. They actually work really well, there's a bunch of rust colors and some grimy ones. A bit more weathering, then I'm going to put down a coat or two of clear coat, then some final weathering.

May 5, 2010, 8:45 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #15

that looks great. what color did you use for the shoulders and knees.
    May 5, 2010, 9:22 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #16

Here are the colors I used for the shoulders and knees, both Floquil/PollyScale model railroad colors
    ATSF Catwhisker Yellow
    UP Amor Yellow
    Then I used light, medium, and dark rust weathering dust.

The armor is Testors Zinc Chromate followed by Pollysclale US Med Green
    May 18, 2010, 6:47 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #17

Here we go some more progress on my Boba Fett!!! Let me know what you guys think. Most of the armor is pretty much done, just a few minor weathering details and I think it will be ok. I took these pics in my entertainment room in my attic, there's not really any natural light plus it was a dark rainy day. I hate taking pics with the flash on; there will be better, more color accurate pics when I am complete

here is how I attached my vest, bolts and grommets

Mostly finished armor, the flash really washes out a lot of the color. I went by MoM, AoSW, BobaMaker, and some other reference pics, pulling out all of the little things that I liked about each one

Awesome wookie braids courtesy of woodman

And the dirty jetpack
  18. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 18, 2010, 7:41 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #18

what kind of grommets did you use?
    May 18, 2010, 10:18 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #19

I used Stanley 3/8" grommets, found at Lowe's, with 1/4" screws attached to my armor with JB Weld. There was a picture in the gallery where Boba's vest and armor were not attached and it looked like a about the same size grommet was peeking through. I'll find the picture when the gallery is back up and running. It really works for me, I really didn't want to use that many screws. It fits pretty snug and flush, and so far have not had any problems
  20. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 18, 2010, 10:38 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #20

Cool thanks might have to check out lowes for grommets
    May 19, 2010, 11:58 AM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #21

That is one wicked setup that you have going there looks great I cannot wait to be at the point that you are with my costume. Keep up the great work.
    May 21, 2010, 7:31 AM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #22

Excellent paint job! Great build with some beautiful lookin armor. Thanks for sharing!!
    May 26, 2010, 3:04 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #23

Well, here it is! Just got my bucket back from slave1pilot today, man am I impressed. He did such a great job touching up my MR helmet. Thanks again Nathan! Took some pics in my three season porch today. It is really really hot today and wow does Boba get sweaty Just have a few more things to tweak and it will be ready for trooping. Hope you guys like.

24. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 26, 2010, 4:03 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #24

Your wearing it very well bud...I really cant wait to go home and get to put all my stuff Ive been buying over the last six months and suit up
    Jun 3, 2010, 7:04 PM - Re: Upgrading old armor with BobaMaker, Full Boba Makeover #25

Gonna buy a new visor and fix the pinch, its really driving me nuts. Also, going to post some before and after pics of my bucket, slave1pilot did a great job on touching it up and I want to show it off......more to come soon!