Subscribe
  1. Dec 11, 2014, 3:29 PM - Trooping, Traveling, and TSA #1

    Browsing through the forums, I have not been able to find a discussion specifically related to traveling with costumes. Though I would personally benefit from everyone's thoughts on trooping out of state, I'm sure many others would like to hear your suggestions as well.



    What are your thoughts on traveling with your costumes, specifically Boba Fett? Have you encountered complications when dealing with TSA? What is the best way to pack and travel with your costume items on an airplane?

    With Anaheim around the corner, this seems to be an applicable subject. Let me know what you guys think.
  2. DeathProof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    947
    Dec 11, 2014, 4:17 PM - Re: Trooping, Traveling, and TSA #2

    There are a couple threads regarding this topic:

    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/t...ghlight=travel

    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f28/h...ghlight=travel

    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/t...ghlight=travel


    I don't think there is a definitive answer on what is best when it comes to travelling on a plane. Anything could happen - luggage gets lost, parts get broken from mishandling, security confiscates your blaster, etc. I'm still debating whether or not I am going to bring my kit to Celebration 7, and if I do, someone from my local garrison will be driving it down. I've lost luggage and packages before in the mail. This isn't one I'd want to lose
  3. Dec 11, 2014, 6:26 PM - Re: Trooping, Traveling, and TSA #3

    Quote DeathProof said: View Post
    There are a couple threads regarding this topic:

    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/t...ghlight=travel

    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f28/h...ghlight=travel

    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/t...ghlight=travel


    I don't think there is a definitive answer on what is best when it comes to travelling on a plane. Anything could happen - luggage gets lost, parts get broken from mishandling, security confiscates your blaster, etc. I'm still debating whether or not I am going to bring my kit to Celebration 7, and if I do, someone from my local garrison will be driving it down. I've lost luggage and packages before in the mail. This isn't one I'd want to lose
    Thanks for the links. That is definitely a concern of mine. Most likely I will have to pack everything up in a checked bag.
  4. DeathProof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    947
    Dec 11, 2014, 7:23 PM - Re: Trooping, Traveling, and TSA #4

    I would definitely grab a solid tote of some kind...even for regular storage between troops. Be very careful even if you're checking it. If there is a way that you can bring it with you up to the point of them putting it into cargo on the plane I would do that. Would make me feel better knowing that it wasn't mishandled. I did that with a computer one time that I took on the plane - had it with me until we boarded.

    I can't say anything about bringing a blaster. Being in Canada, our gun laws are pretty tight - we aren't even allowed replicas. Regardless of country, having a fake gun at an airport is probably not the best idea. Granted, some people have had success with no issues. I just don't think the risk is worth it.
  5. Dec 11, 2014, 8:46 PM - Re: Trooping, Traveling, and TSA #5

    Quote DeathProof said: View Post
    I would definitely grab a solid tote of some kind...even for regular storage between troops. Be very careful even if you're checking it. If there is a way that you can bring it with you up to the point of them putting it into cargo on the plane I would do that. Would make me feel better knowing that it wasn't mishandled. I did that with a computer one time that I took on the plane - had it with me until we boarded.

    I can't say anything about bringing a blaster. Being in Canada, our gun laws are pretty tight - we aren't even allowed replicas. Regardless of country, having a fake gun at an airport is probably not the best idea. Granted, some people have had success with no issues. I just don't think the risk is worth it.
    The Pelican cases seem promisingly. I will probably look into those. According to the TSA website, firearm replicas are allowed in checked luggage. It looks like you should verify with your specific airline, though.
  6. DeathProof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    947
    Dec 11, 2014, 9:03 PM - Re: Trooping, Traveling, and TSA #6

    Pelicans are nice...but very expensive. They normally come with foam that you can customize. This is the one I got from Walmart for $25: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/plano-st.../6000001843077. Put in some cheap foam padding and you're good to go.
  7. Dec 11, 2014, 9:08 PM - Re: Trooping, Traveling, and TSA #7

    Quote DeathProof said: View Post
    Pelicans are nice...but very expensive. They normally come with foam that you can customize. This is the one I got from Walmart for $25: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/plano-st.../6000001843077. Put in some cheap foam padding and you're good to go.
    Does that have wheels and a handle for traveling on foot?
  8. DeathProof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    947
    Dec 11, 2014, 10:18 PM - Re: Trooping, Traveling, and TSA #8

    It has wheels and a 'small' handle. You may want to rig something longer or telescoping.
  9. Dec 11, 2014, 11:13 PM - Re: Trooping, Traveling, and TSA #9

    Quote DeathProof said: View Post
    It has wheels and a 'small' handle. You may want to rig something longer or telescoping.
    Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

Similar Threads

  1. Traveling with your Fett costume
    By T90 in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec 16, 2014, 8:27 PM
  2. trooping
    By dlzx9r in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jun 9, 2011, 7:01 PM
  3. Traveling - best way to pack
    By drache in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug 16, 2010, 7:44 PM
  4. traveling with your gear help
    By Bountyone in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 10, 2008, 9:58 AM
  5. Helmet Box for traveling
    By asok in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Aug 18, 2003, 11:17 PM