TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS*

From
    winters, california

Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS*

thats a great idea! im about to start my first costume and i think im going to try your method. it looks fantastic. wish me luck.

From
    Carlisle, PA

awesome idea!!! I'm thinking about trying this for my first set. I'm looking to do a budget fett for conventions and such and overtime upgrading piece by piece until I'm happy with it for 501st approval. This would be an excellent starting point!

From
    gainsville GA

wow thanks for this post. I'm new to the whole building your own armor idea so this really helps me get off the ground for my suit

Dragon-con 2010 here I come!

Definitely have to try this when I get mine up and running. Thanks for sharing!

From
    Louisville, KY

I was in Meijer today, and I found a stack of three to five of the original garbage cans used, so either these have been around there a long time, or they're just hard to find.

From
    In the heat of Avondale Az

Nice Thread!!

How do you get the templates to fit out on a printable sheet? I think they're going to be a bit too large.

From
    Marion, Ohio

Been surfing the topics around here for awhile till I came upon this and had to register. Brilliant idea.

This is going to be my winter project as well as customizing my Jango helm. I was going to try sintra but I think I'll give this a go first. Time to make a list and gather materials.

I'll be starting my own trashcan armor today. Going to Kmart to look for the right size and material trashcans.

What was used to initially cut out the rough shapes before scoring them with a knife to get them in proper shape?

Could a dremel be used as well? To smooth out rough edges? Are regular scissors not strong enough to cut through the trashcan material? And what is a good way to heat the plastic to mold it to shape (as for the back plate over the shoulders? Hot water?

Thanks!!!

dude thats brilliant!

From
    Corbin, Ky

Stevexe said: View Post

What was used to initially cut out the rough shapes before scoring them with a knife to get them in proper shape?

Could a dremel be used as well? To smooth out rough edges? Are regular scissors not strong enough to cut through the trashcan material? And what is a good way to heat the plastic to mold it to shape (as for the back plate over the shoulders? Hot water?

Thanks!!!
    I used a pair of tin snips to cut out the basic shapes and then all you should have to do is 'score' the actual armor plate edges with an exacto knife and then they will 'snap' off leaving a clean edge.

This is my "trashcan armor" that I made in one day for this simple halloween costume. What i was looking to make wasn't 501st quality, just something that looked and felt good, and was sturday enough to party with!
    I cut out the armor templates and traced the shapes to the trashcan. Then I used an exacto-knife to cut the shapes out and sandpaper to smooth the edges.
    I spray painted all of the plates yellow first, then after they had dried, green on top but scraped some of the green away while it was still wet. (the weathering i did is not screen acurate at all).
    The emblem on the right chest and the left shoulder were found online and i printed them out, then glued them on with a combination of white elmer's glue and water, then brushed the glue over them to seal them on the armor better.
    The helmet was bought online

From
    Chicago, IL

Very impressive! Making me want to try this out myself to see what results I can get

From
    Houston,TX 77062

WOW , i'm going to walmart tomorrow and getting me some cans and supplies.

really awesome armor every one but i do have a question couldnt you add (superglue) like 1-2 additional layers to each part or the armor and the bondo the side to get rid of the seams to have thicker looking armor?

Makes me want to go trash can hunting right now ...simply awesome.

From
    Pasco, WA

I live behind a Wal-Mart, I'm thinking I'm gonna grab a can or two and a pair of snips tonight.

How durable is armor made out of a trash can? I'm making metal armor for air-soft, but this looks like it would be almost better if I made some for my buddies.

i have to say this is with out a doubt the most trashiest idea anyone has ever had and i love it LMAO

has any one experminted with trying this with other arourments such as the jet pack or the back side of the bobba?

did any one find any bins that can be used for making armor that are available in the uk ?

From
    Tsawwassen

Stevexe, your suit doesn't look bad at all! Great job on the trashcan armor!

dang thats smart!!!! if i wanted to make the plates thicker, would it be good to use cardboard? man i cant get over how awesome that turned out.

You sit are a genius. Lol I seriously thought that it was gonna be hard to start making a Fett armor...but here is the pinnacle of woah... great work.
    ~Xaayer the Grey Knight

From
    Utah

I loved this idea since I first ran across the thread. All of the armor pics have looked great. I started mine a couple weeks ago, but it has been slow going. The project is easy and fun (if anyone is a little scared to try). I've just been busy. Hopefully I can get a few pics up soon.
    Great job you guys!!