TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS*

From
    Dayton, OH.

Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS*

thanks man!! opinions are always greatly appreciated. just don't know... i kinda feel i over did some of the weathering. oh well when i get it all finished i will know for sure on that lol.

From
    Hotevilla a small village in the Norther Part of Arizona

how did you get the dents in the armor?

awesome idea. i'm so sad i just bought sintra jango armor =(

From
    Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

i think that looks great and im definitely gonna try to build the body armor from the sterilite material! i might also experiment and see if i can do the same with a helmet!

Good idea, good looking armor!

From
    Hagerstown MD

as it's been said numerously already, great idea.

This is an absolutely amazing idea, And it's a huge help to my wallet in getting everything started!!! Thanks to everyone who thought of this and helped each other out!

From
    Mos Nooga, TN

A similar idea for the ladies is to buy a half-form, hollow, hanging, display mannequin. I bought a split-leg, upper-thigh to mid-neck mannequin on ebay for $6.50 + $13.80 shipping. I'm making my chest/ab/groin armor from the mannequin and I plan to use a trash can for back/legs/butt. I'm making a custom mando with a slightly different design. Hopefully I can throw some pics up soon.

From
    Upstate, NY

Has anyone tried this with two layers to make it look thicker? Just cut out two sets and glue them together?

From
    Mandalore,NC

yup works out nicely, ive done it before

From
    Branson MO

attention walmart shoppers:
    these are being replaced with a new wave of trash cans (and nothing oval shaped) - 2 of my local ones only had a few left in their clearance isles. I don't know if there's any other stores that sell them aside from wallyworld, but might want to get'em while they're hot.
    and if anyone wants to start comming up with a new alternative, I'd love to hear it...

From
    Georgia

I feel somewhat redundant saying this as everyone else has already said it for me twice, but, it is true - brilliant. Very well done.

From
    Bronson,FL

Wow amazing idea,might have to give it a try soon since I will be starting on a scratchbuilt helmet.

Truly inspired work. I would never have thought of using a trash can.

From
    New bedford,MA

Drago is right! The oval type trash cans seem to have been discontinued.Picked up last large one at local wallymart for 3 bucks with no lid and no smaller one to be found.But we have new stuff comin in soon I will keep an eye out for something similar or something that has close contours.

Here's mine

Does anyone know if these trash cans have been discontinued? My local Walmart had them before but now I am having a hell of a time finding them again.

From
    Long Island

Target/Home Depot./Lowe's all of these places carry plastic bins. Whether they're for Laundry, Garbage, or storage.

I've been working on some armour for my four year old son over the last week or two but I wanted to wait until I had something to show before I made my first post, so here is the overhead view:

..and angled view (shows the layered effect better, I think):

So I just want to say thanks to the OP for coming up with this excellent idea and inspiring me to get off my *** and actually have a go, and also WoF for the templates and Apollo for his weathering tutorial. Next task - make the vest from the material shown in the picture and then tackle the backplate and cod..

I am going to be Boba for halloween this year, and I was going to drop like 200 for this armor. You have saved me loads of money with this post. You are amazing!!!

From
    Cheyenne, WY

I just recently discovered this site and group while I was looking for a good way to make some armor for myself and a friend. I was going to use fiberglass because I have used it in the past but when I saw this trash can method I had to give it a shot!

This is the first armor I have ever made. I wasn't able to find the exact same trash cans but I got one that was pretty close. I used the boil method to shape the parts to better fit my body. I used a lighter to clean up any of those plastic spurs you get from snapping it out. I used krylon spray paints, aluminum for the undercoat and ultra flat brown for the top. Its not supposed to be like Boba's armor just some thing for me to goof off in. This forum is so helpful with having the plans for the armor and great ideas like this, thanks for putting it out there for everyone to use!!

OrionPax9

Alright, no luck at Wal Mart or Target. Anybody find any alternatives for people putting together budget Fett suits?

From
    Cheyenne, WY

I found a light brown or tan trash can that was semi-round kinda rectangular at walmart, but I was able to cut out all of my pieces from it and after boiling it fit just fine.

From
    knoxville,tn

hi all, i'm really new to the whole armor making process, however i happen to be pretty crafty...since these trash cans are no longer in stock anywhere i have looked, is there an acceptable substitute for them? also...has anyone been accepted into the 501st with this type of armor???
    i read this entire thread and it really has driven me to FINALLY create my Fett costume...hell, ive been watching s/w, esb, etc since i was bout 6 and im 26 now, and have always loved boba fett...
    one other question i have is, would it be easy to create feminine armor from a trash can???
    thanks for any insight you can provide me with

wow, that's so simple.