Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 7, 2008, 7:29 AM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #251

2. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Nov 7, 2008, 1:42 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #252

Wow, I m trying to build a Boba set for me, and this is a cool idea!
    Wondering if I could get hold of a similar trash can here ( Im from Spain).
    Gotta search
    Keep on rockin dude!
  3. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Nov 7, 2008, 1:47 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #253

You got a pretty cool set man
    So far one of the best home made armor
    keep on rockin
    Nov 7, 2008, 9:30 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #254

how does the paint hold up? does it weather and look better? great idea.....
    Nov 8, 2008, 7:22 AM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #255

Tutorials like this are making me more and more confident that I can get started on a new costume without breaking the bank.

Yet.
    Nov 8, 2008, 10:06 AM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #256

Quote Dark-GTI04 said: View Post
    Trash can armor ROCKS! I'm gonna have to try this method too. Everyone I've seen whose gone this route has done a great job.

Its the best thing to come out of a trash can since Oscar the Grouch!!
    Normally, I'd have argued Oscar was better, but not in this case. In this case, armor is better!
    Nov 8, 2008, 1:29 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #257

Sweet! Budget armor rocks.
    Nov 8, 2008, 3:19 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #258

I made my chest, back, shoulder bells, thigh, and cod armor out of trash cans. I'd say that it saved me a pretty penny overall and allowed more money to spend on helmet and gauntlets.
    Nov 8, 2008, 4:10 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #259

Budget fett so rocks. like the cheap guant rocket Idea. with enough work I bet i could make one that would still pass inspection or at least make one I could mold. Top,toilet middle and toothbrush holder Hmmm. with bondo sanding and a lot of work Hmm.
  10. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Nov 9, 2008, 3:47 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #260

I'm going to try this as soon as I have time... This will be my first try at armor, so my lack of experience (and lack of cash) will be well served by this method.
    How would you work the back plate? Off the top of my head, I would think you'd need to split the template and then piece it back together... It would also be great to see tutorials for doing the smaller armor bits the same way. I may just try it anyways, I'm sure it could work.
    Nov 10, 2008, 7:41 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #261

So I got a silly question. I made some TCA every thing went pretty good until I had to attach it the vest my wife was kind enough to make for me. I wanted to use snaps to attach it but I can not get any thing to stick to this stuff!!! In the end I ended up duct tapping snaps to the plates. This is only a temporary fix has any one had a similar problem? I would like to improve the quality of my kit.
    Nov 10, 2008, 8:52 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #262

Quote EvilM89 said: View Post
    I'm going to try this as soon as I have time... This will be my first try at armor, so my lack of experience (and lack of cash) will be well served by this method.
    How would you work the back plate? Off the top of my head, I would think you'd need to split the template and then piece it back together... It would also be great to see tutorials for doing the smaller armor bits the same way. I may just try it anyways, I'm sure it could work.

Look at my post here and my link on back plate. You don't need to cut it in two. Don't make it harder than it is!

Nov 12, 2008, 9:35 AM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #263

LOL--I'm a lady, Rupidupe--I'm gonna have to form the chestplates for it to be comfortable for me... hehe

I did try to place them as-is, but it just isn't going to work *shrug* those will probably be the last armor pieces I work on, right now, until I get something more easily shaped.

I do have a backplate all cut out and kept the shape of the can--works out nice, you're right!
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Nov 12, 2008, 4:45 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #264

This is one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a while. I have a sintra set I traded for but I'm thinking of doing this and trading the Sintra set for other stuff that would be more useful.
    Nov 12, 2008, 5:52 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #265

Quote DarthTaiter79 said: View Post
    LOL--I'm a lady, Rupidupe--I'm gonna have to form the chestplates for it to be comfortable for me... hehe

I did try to place them as-is, but it just isn't going to work *shrug* those will probably be the last armor pieces I work on, right now, until I get something more easily shaped.

I do have a backplate all cut out and kept the shape of the can--works out nice, you're right!
    Whoops! Many pardons m'lady. We should force members to have a blue or pink hue around their avatar.
    Nov 13, 2008, 3:10 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #266

Interesting and innovative idea here. Once I get some of the soft parts together, I'm definitely going to have to keep this thread in mind.
    Nov 14, 2008, 8:54 AM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #267

Quote Rupidupe said: View Post
    Whoops! Many pardons m'lady. We should force members to have a blue or pink hue around their avatar.
    No problem, Vod! I used to get that all the time

I'm glad this trash can idea was brought up here--I agree that this has been much fun, and it is working out quite well I'm going to be working more on my armor tonight!
    Nov 14, 2008, 4:13 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #268

I Love this idea i used it for my first attempt at a Custom mando but I cant get anything to adhere to the surface of the sterlite plastic I had to Duct Tape my snaps to it and they kept comming off. Any one else have this issue? What is a good way to fix it?

Uptown

Oh! I have already posted this question on here I feel like idiot :S
    Nov 14, 2008, 11:22 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #269

DarthTaiter when you get your chest plate working more "comfortable" can you post pics of how you do it, I gotta make armor for my boss (wife) and want it to obviously be more femenin (?SP) as she is only letting me make her armor to make me happy. Rupidupe, I forgot to thank you for the link to your backplate, so THX!
    Nov 16, 2008, 11:32 AM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #270

I have been tossing around the idea of purchasing some armor off flea bay but i am sold this is just the best idea i have seen. now question where can i get templates so i can create the armor. yes yes i'm a noob to the site. however my project fett is well on its way. i just wish i was not in iraq so i could finish it
    Nov 17, 2008, 9:09 AM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #271

Wish you well over there, Maddmudder! Thank you! Look for WizardofFlight (WOF)--he's got the templates in a thread, links at the beginning of the thread...I'll PM you

adonian--will do! I'm looking toward Sintra or possibly a type of foam mat that holds shape idea brought up by a fellow Merc.

Uptown--did you try a good type of super or Gorilla glue? Aside from those, I'm not sure what else would work for snaps. I haven't tried this yet, so I'm sure if someone else has, they'd have some good tricks to use.
  22. Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Nov 17, 2008, 11:26 AM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #272

I've been lurking on the boards for quite a long while doing research :-) Hopefully the (relative) simplicity and cheapness of building a trashcan suit will be the kick in the pants that I need to get me motivated to stop researching and start building!
    Nov 17, 2008, 6:45 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #273

Quote DarthTaiter79 said: View Post
    Wish you well over there, Maddmudder! Thank you! Look for WizardofFlight (WOF)--he's got the templates in a thread, links at the beginning of the thread...I'll PM you

adonian--will do! I'm looking toward Sintra or possibly a type of foam mat that holds shape idea brought up by a fellow Merc.

Uptown--did you try a good type of super or Gorilla glue? Aside from those, I'm not sure what else would work for snaps. I haven't tried this yet, so I'm sure if someone else has, they'd have some good tricks to use.
    I tried super glue, Industial hot glue, and two different kinds of epoxy I am going to try some CA glue I saw on a thread for gauntlets.
    Nov 18, 2008, 11:30 AM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #274

Quote Terok Vega said: View Post
    I've been lurking on the boards for quite a long while doing research :-) Hopefully the (relative) simplicity and cheapness of building a trashcan suit will be the kick in the pants that I need to get me motivated to stop researching and start building!
    It sure was for me!

Hope it works for ya, MrUptown
    Nov 18, 2008, 2:11 PM - Re: TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS* #275

I am about to get started on my set of trash can armor and I wanted to know if you can bend the trash can material with boiling water or a hair dryer? Thats the only things I have available, don't know where my heat gun is and I'm not buying another one.

Thanks