Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

  1. #26
    I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA
    Posts
    5,520

    Re: tk7602's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    I'd say PM FettDad, he did a great job Rattlecanning his new BM Armour. When I painted my armour with rattlecan, I used Spruce Green, followed by misting and acrylic washes.

  2. #27

    Re: tk7602's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    i know i can't help with esb at all. closest i've come to that flavor is a couple of helmets.

  3. #28

    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    From
    United States
    Posts
    110

    Re: tk7602's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    Alrighty...I found the Summer Squash and Hunt Club green. The green is satin, which I'm not sure if it's supposed to be, but that's what I got.

  4. #29

    Re: tk7602's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    jpynk3 said: View Post
    Alrighty...I found the Summer Squash and Hunt Club green. The green is satin, which I'm not sure if it's supposed to be, but that's what I got.
    yeah, that's all it comes in. the dullcote at the end makes it all matte, no matter what paint you use

  5. #30

    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    From
    United States
    Posts
    110

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    I'm done with the layers, except for the shoulders. I still can't find that orange. I need to mist on black to tone down the colors, especially the yellow. Which black should I use for that? I'm pretty pumped at how well it's turning out. Thanks for the tutorial! It helped alot.

  6. #31

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    jpynk3 said: View Post
    I'm done with the layers, except for the shoulders. I still can't find that orange. I need to mist on black to tone down the colors, especially the yellow. Which black should I use for that? I'm pretty pumped at how well it's turning out. Thanks for the tutorial! It helped alot.
    in my opinion, black is black. i'd just use any really orange paint too... if you play with the mix of yellow and orange, you should be able to work with any commonly available orange paint.

  7. #32

    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    From
    United States
    Posts
    110

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    Now I know why you like Testors so much. That Dullcote works great! I still have to paint the shoulder bells and then I'm done.

  8. #33

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    jpynk3 said: View Post
    Now I know why you like Testors so much. That Dullcote works great! I still have to paint the shoulder bells and then I'm done.
    the dullcote is magic

  9. #34

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    ive been to 4 home depots and the rustoleum site and cant find true orange....are you sure thats the name or is it real orange or just orange

  10. #35
    cr4nky's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    From
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    639

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    I'm in the process of sourcing rattlecans here in Norway (you can't get Krylon or Rustoleum here), and it's a tedious process. I've found a few colors that work, but then I hit another snag... You don't get rattlecans in dull/matte finishes (other than clear, black and white). Is it the same with Krylon and Rustoleum? If so, what do you do to achieve a dull look to thre paint?

  11. #36

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    Son of the Baptist said: View Post
    ive been to 4 home depots and the rustoleum site and cant find true orange....are you sure thats the name or is it real orange or just orange
    that's what the label on my can says. i used what was available at the time. they may have changed products over time... who knows?

    i never intended this to be something where people would hunt to the ends of the earth to match what i did exactly. my guess is that orange is orange, and you could use whatever you can find.

    that's how i usually do my projects... i use what i can get at whatever place i am at the time

  12. #37

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    cr4nky said: View Post
    I'm in the process of sourcing rattlecans here in Norway (you can't get Krylon or Rustoleum here), and it's a tedious process. I've found a few colors that work, but then I hit another snag... You don't get rattlecans in dull/matte finishes (other than clear, black and white). Is it the same with Krylon and Rustoleum? If so, what do you do to achieve a dull look to thre paint?
    It's easy to miss in the first post, but that's covered...

    On the note of the "subtle weathering" that I didn't get into above - don't forget that you always want to use a matte clear coat to seal it all and dull down any gloss. Testor's Dullcote is my favorite, but anything should do. Be careful - clear coats can mess up the paint underneath if you don't carefully follow instructions, including letting all of the layers underneath cure properly.
    it doesn't matter if the paint is glossy, as long as you finish it all off with a matte clear paint that dulls it down. but be REALLY careful. i've had the clear coat ruin the paint underneath when i've painted too fast, mixed brands, etc...

    it's always good to test the reaction of paints on something other than your finished project.

    one thing i've done in the past is to have a piece of plastic that i paint along side the armor. when i go to paint the next layer, i'll do it on the plastic first to see if it reacts well. not fool proof, but helpful if you don't know for sure what's going to happen. and even then there can still be problems.

  13. #38
    cr4nky's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    From
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    639

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    It's easy to miss in the first post, but that's covered...
    Saw it now, thanks. I've got some spare ABS and sintra to test everything out on before I go for it. So we'll see how it works out.

    Thanks for a good guide though!

    UPDATE:

    I tried a dull clearcote, and it seems to work. Not entirely happy with the finish though, so I might see if I can find the one from Tamiya or Testors. At least this way, I might not have to get an airbrush after all (not yet at least:-)

    Thanks again!
    Last edited by cr4nky; Nov 27, 2008 at 3:05 PM.

  14. #39

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    Those colors are great! I love the weatering on the gauntlets, nice job

    But the webbed belt below the ammo pouches seems a bit...too red? But other than that, the ensamble looks amazing.

  15. #40
    BH Reaper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    From
    Australia
    Posts
    308

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    It's hard to use your colour schemes as we don't get these paint brands in Oz. I'll upload some finished work so you guys can have a look for me.

  16. #41
    babyfett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2006
    From
    RIVERBANK CA
    Posts
    52

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    very nice can work stormtrooper guy.

  17. #42

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    Looks Awesome ! I will be useing this thred for ref. THX

  18. #43

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    So, there's a pic of the PrePro Fett that the right chest and center piece appears to be blue. Has anyone noticed this, and is that accurate? I'm doing a PrePro and was thinking of adding this touch.

    Can anyone enlighten me on that?

  19. #44

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    BobaJeff said: View Post
    So, there's a pic of the PrePro Fett that the right chest and center piece appears to be blue. Has anyone noticed this, and is that accurate? I'm doing a PrePro and was thinking of adding this touch.

    Can anyone enlighten me on that?
    you'd probably have better luck asking in a new thread than in an rotj paint colors thread... folks that know the pre-pro suit may not look here because they don't care about rotj.

  20. #45

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    Very informative. Thank you for the info.

    Chris

  21. #46
    Joesprops's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    From
    California
    Posts
    21

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    Thanks for the awsome post, this will really help me when I get to painting my gauntlets.

  22. #47

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    very nice

  23. #48
    Foxbatkllr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2003
    From
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    2,566

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    Ban this guy for spamming and don't support his business.

  24. #49
    Artek's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2009
    From
    ha why ee
    Posts
    217

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    great info ^^

  25. #50
    Skjoldhammar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    From
    Trondheim, Norway
    Posts
    164

    Re: stormtrooperguy's rotj armor rattlecan colors

    cr4nky said: View Post
    I'm in the process of sourcing rattlecans here in Norway (you can't get Krylon or Rustoleum here), and it's a tedious process. I've found a few colors that work, but then I hit another snag... You don't get rattlecans in dull/matte finishes (other than clear, black and white). Is it the same with Krylon and Rustoleum? If so, what do you do to achieve a dull look to thre paint?
    Have you found any aswers to this yet? I might have some tips if you havent found any yet.

Similar Threads

  1. stormtrooperguy's rotj helmet rattlecan colors
    By stormtrooperguy in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 10:48 AM
  2. Question: Iron Man Rattlecan Colors
    By Tod 'buir in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun 18, 2010, 1:18 PM
  3. ROTJ Gauntlet Build (Stormtrooperguy molds)
    By webchief in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Sep 19, 2009, 3:42 PM
  4. ROTJ Rattlecan armor colors
    By Kwally89 in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 29, 2009, 10:40 PM
  5. Preferred Rattlecan colors ESB Armor?
    By Timmer in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jan 26, 2009, 4:54 PM
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •