Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Stormcrow 85's WIP: Boba Fett - ESBSubscribe
    Oct 19, 2015, 6:43 PM - Stormcrow 85's WIP: Boba Fett - ESB #1

Alright I have given my introduction in the intro section, but wanted to post up some work that I have been doing. I have always wanted to make a costume, I decided that I would do Boba Fett as my first costume. In hindsight probably should have gone with something else that way I could see if I was any good at this. Some introduction to my project.

I have no formal training in sewing. My mother always sewed when I was growing up, and my wife has a sewing machine that she was given that she doesn't know how to use. I decided I could use this thing and make a costume. I leaned towards Obi-Wan, but my hair is to short, and I can't grow a beard. So I decided Lando Calrissian but figured some people might find that offensive (I am white, and thought it would be HILARIOUS). Anywho, I on a whim decided Boba Fett because he looks totally Bad-A!

I come from the car world and have been doing timelapses of my work on my car for several years. I decided that I would do it for this too. I have had a very easy couple of weeks because the wife has been out of town with the kiddos and I have been home alone after work. So below is my first video. I went yesterday and added an intro to several already made videos. I hope you enjoy. Only the first two videos have music over the time lapses the rest are just silent. The goal is to eventually add annotations over the top to show what I was doing.

Video 1:
    I started this project by looking online a TON to see about high resolution pictures of Boba Fett. I decided on the color and went out to buy fabric. I got home and realized I really needed a "flight suit" rather than just pants and a shirt so I made a flight suit from really no pattern, but just looking at one I had on hand. This video I made a bit to fast so I slowed down the next few videos as well as changed the camera angle.
    Last edited by Stormcrow85; May 21, 2016 at 10:44 PM. Reason: I wanted to see if I could correct typo in title
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Oct 19, 2015, 7:05 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #2

In Part 2 of my videos I continue making the flight suit.I had to do SO much seam ripping because I didn't do a good enough job separating the front and back of the garment as well as had to try and figure out what to do about the color. Here is where I made my first change from the movie. I didn't like the idea of a neck additional collar I would think that his flight suit should have the neck seal collar so I decided to add it to the flight suit rather than a separate piece. I added strips of batting to the collar and had to make it much tighter fitting because I have a pencil neck.

Attachment 93002Attachment 93001

The picture on the right shows before I added the collar, the picture of me on the left shows after I added the collar. The flight suit was almost done, but I still needed a collar and pockets (I still haven't added the shin pockets at the time of writing this)

Oct 19, 2015, 7:16 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #3

In video 3 which is quite a bit longer. I added the collar, as well as the pockets. I learned quite a bit, but still made some annoying rookie mistakes. Which included a TON of seam ripping. I also took in the pants and several areas much tighter than what they were I could have probably saved quite a bit of material if I would have done a better job making my legs smaller. I also wasted some material when I made the sleeves literally to small for me to fit my arm in (Which I had to laugh at, because my arms aren't that big). If I were to do this again I would keep the neck seal on the flight suit but I would do it in the white material so it would be more "movie accurate".

The video: It is quite long, it was a very long day.
    Last edited by Stormcrow85; Oct 19, 2015 at 8:35 PM.
    Oct 19, 2015, 8:46 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #4

So after the flight suit I went right to work on the flak vest. I used some pictures from the internet and drew a pattern on the material. It turned out almost perfect. The only problem is the front doesn't have a wide enough shoulder piece, but other than that I like it. Also I really wanted to make it zip from the side, but couldn't find a short enough zipper when I was out and about that day that fully separated. I still have to add the panel to cover the Zipper in the back, and a real pull string to it. I works how it is right now. I also didn't get any video of making the sleeves, but pretty much I made sleeves, doubled with batting for padding , then I positioned them in the sleeve until they pointed in the direction I wanted them and sewed them on. I hope you enjoy the video and pictures.

Here you can see the gap, that exists, but can also see the flight suit.

Here is a picture of the vest on with the little sleeves:

And here is the timelapse.
    Last edited by Stormcrow85; Oct 20, 2015 at 8:38 AM.
    Oct 20, 2015, 8:37 AM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #5

So the fun part started. I got some expanded PVC foam (sintra) from a sign shop (FastSigns) it was remnants and the young lady working the counter just gave it to me. I got enough there to do the chest, shoulder, and waist armor. I did not have enough to do the knees, back armor, or gauntlets (If I use it to even do those). I have since purchased a heat gun and lots of other little nick-nacks. This project is being done on the cheap, but it is really starting to nickle and dime me. I used the templates from this site, laid them out on the sheets and then started cutting it out with my dremel. I am on a business trip so the back drop of the next several videos is a hotel room, luckily it isn't tiny.

Pictures:
    Template testing on vest, I wish I would have tested the collar I didn't think about it, but I did almost everything else.

Laying out the templates

And Cut out!

Video:
    Oct 20, 2015, 6:52 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #6

After I cut out the pieces I noticed there was quite a bit of sanding that needed to be done to clean up the edges. I also used that opportunity to bevel the edges as well on the corners. There isn't much to say about the process. I got some cheap sandpaper from Harbor Freight when I picked up the heat gun, and the whole time wished I was at home where I have an orbital sander I could have used to make short work of the pieces, but when you are 500 miles from home and in a hotel room you make due.

The before picture of the edges of the shoulder pad:

This is after I got done sanding:

The video:
    Oct 22, 2015, 9:26 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #7

After I cut the armor out I started shaping it. It wasn't that hard to shape the chest, stomach, and shoulder pads. The collar and cod piece were not as easy, but I think all turned out well. After I shaped the pieces I added pock marks and large dents to the items.

Here are some photos of the newly shaped pieces.

Video:
  9. Oct 23, 2015, 9:23 AM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #8

Its one thing when someone posts still pics of their progress but when you see a video or 6 about the whole design and construction it puts it all into perspective about how much effort and skill can go in to making a Fett outfit. Bravo Sir nice work.
    Oct 23, 2015, 10:17 AM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #9

This is incrediby awesome work bud! Like Silverstalker said, showing all the steps really shows how much work goes into making these things. Sometimes justifying for some the cost and wait time of someone having something like this made for them.

Some constructive criticizim for you...not negating anything you did, because its fantastic! So, 2 things...1 you are actually correct about the neckseal being attached to the collar. That is how the flightsuit was in the film. However it should be the same material as the vest, and not the blue color. The other thing is the pocket flaps should just be diagonal, without the notch you put one em..though i like that look and may steal that for a custom mando ..oh and you need to add the shin tool pockets, but you may already know that.

But like i said, this is great work, and awesome you posted video of the whole process. I really wanted to do this when i was making my jetpack, but it took to much extra time to set up a camera, remove it from the shop for sanding, and re-setting it up.
    Oct 23, 2015, 1:14 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #10

I recommend you make your COD piece from three pieces, Main strip, front plate, and bottom cusp. By separating the bottom cusp you will be able to achieve a better profile

forgive the focus

img_20150809_212853-jpg
    Oct 23, 2015, 5:32 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #11

Thank you all for the comments. I am going to go out today and try and find some burgundy dye for the belt I am making. The first belt I made was WAY to small I measured once then cut 14 times (Not the way to do that just so you all know, measure each one).

Quote Silverstalker said: View Post
    Its one thing when someone posts still pics of their progress but when you see a video or 6 about the whole design and construction it puts it all into perspective about how much effort and skill can go in to making a Fett outfit. Bravo Sir nice work.
    I most certainly underestimated the amount of work that goes into a build like this. The only reason I got so far is because my wife and kids were out of town for fall break, but I had to stay for work. Then work sent me out of town for 10 days. I just got home today. So progress will slow. Also it takes me a while to make videos, but I want to keep this somewhat orderly so I didn't just do a complete data dump I am several more days into the project.

Quote Darth Voorhees said: View Post
    This is incrediby awesome work bud! Like Silverstalker said, showing all the steps really shows how much work goes into making these things. Sometimes justifying for some the cost and wait time of someone having something like this made for them.

Some constructive criticizim for you...not negating anything you did, because its fantastic! So, 2 things...1 you are actually correct about the neckseal being attached to the collar. That is how the flightsuit was in the film. However it should be the same material as the vest, and not the blue color. The other thing is the pocket flaps should just be diagonal, without the notch you put one em..though i like that look and may steal that for a custom mando ..oh and you need to add the shin tool pockets, but you may already know that.

But like i said, this is great work, and awesome you posted video of the whole process. I really wanted to do this when i was making my jetpack, but it took to much extra time to set up a camera, remove it from the shop for sanding, and re-setting it up.
    I realized after I made the collar that I should have done it in the vest material. I wanted to wait to finish the vest before I cut the collar off. Great catch on the pockets. I thought it was squared at the top too. it isn't. I could fix it, but I am going to keep it as it will help me make the pockets more functional. as that is where I plan on storing stuff like my wallet. The shin pockets will hopefully get made I had to abandon all sewing for the last 10 days as I have been out of town. I am back now and will be makign them probably this weekend, along with the correct color of collar.
    Quote Malkavian said: View Post
    I recommend you make your COD piece from three pieces, Main strip, front plate, and bottom cusp. By separating the bottom cusp you will be able to achieve a better profile

forgive the focus
    That is awesome. I am way to far past to cut it off and start again, but thank you for the tip. I also should have spent more time with the bondo smoothing to be honest I got a little excited, and therefore impatient.
    Oct 24, 2015, 8:52 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #12

Malkavian. Here is the reason why it was no good getting the advice about the three pieces. This cod piece work was done almost a week ago, I am just getting around to writing the post.

The cod piece shaping could have been accomplished better another way. But live and learn. I built up the buttons using two layers of pvc sheet. If I were doing it again I would have done the intelligent thing and put another layer of Bondo before painting. As I have said before, I have a bad record with patience I just want to get this done so I move too quick sometimes. I still haven't fully decided how I am going to mount all of these things to the flight suit. If anyone has any suggestions I am leaning towards velcro, or snaps. I think velcro would be easier, but I don't know if everything will stay put. Don't want to loose the pieces while I am walking away. The pictures above make it seem like I did the cod piece work at the same time. I actually did it a day or so later.

I know the videos are getting longer, but I am doing a bit more explaining in the beginning.

Video:

14. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Oct 24, 2015, 10:27 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #13

If I may ask. It looks like you used the WoF templates, did you select your size and print to fit the page? I'm building a suit for my 7yr old and eventually will upgrade him, but I'm going with a "cheap" build so I can get the hang of it.
    Oct 25, 2015, 2:07 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #14

Quote BennaBuildsBoba said: View Post
    If I may ask. It looks like you used the WoF templates, did you select your size and print to fit the page? I'm building a suit for my 7yr old and eventually will upgrade him, but I'm going with a "cheap" build so I can get the hang of it.
    I went to the template page and selected the pre-sized template based on how big I am. The WoF templates can be sized by changing the scaling feature in Adobe. The way I would suggest doing it is print out a test page or two using different scaling on certain parts (Shoulder, collar, stomach) if those are close then the rest should probably follow suit. So perhaps measure your child and yourself in the torso and scale the templates appropriately.

Good luck!
    Oct 25, 2015, 2:14 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #15

Alright here is my first Girth Belt failure. I didn't standardize the lengths and I didn't attach them to a D-Ring. I have since made another, but the dye did not stick at all. I didn't think this was going to be the hard part. I should have the paint video up in the next few days as well. I will discuss the painting there.

I used TK409 website as a suggestion to make the girth belt, but I didn't get pure cotton rope I instead got a polyester cotton blend. I tried dyeing it but didn't have a stove to keep it hot, so the dye didn't stick, also when I got it all put together it was about 3-4 inches to short. So I will be re-making the belt. This was not a hard project but unfortunately it was a HUGE waste of my time.

I also made the color strip for canvas ESB cape. I still need to sew it all together which won't take much time at all. No pictures this time only a video of my failure.

Video:
  17. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Oct 27, 2015, 11:15 AM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #16

Quote Stormcrow85 said: View Post
    I went to the template page and selected the pre-sized template based on how big I am. The WoF templates can be sized by changing the scaling feature in Adobe. The way I would suggest doing it is print out a test page or two using different scaling on certain parts (Shoulder, collar, stomach) if those are close then the rest should probably follow suit. So perhaps measure your child and yourself in the torso and scale the templates appropriately.

Good luck!
    Thank you! It took some time to get them a little smaller, but I think we got the right size. I'm making it out of foam it seems to be more forgiving and if I mess it up I have more! I'm kind of hooked now and I want to build one for myself. Mom and son Boba?
    Oct 27, 2015, 12:35 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #17

I still haven't fully decided how I am going to mount all of these things to the flight suit. If anyone has any suggestions I am leaning towards velcro, or snaps. I think velcro would be easier, but I don't know if everything will stay put. Don't want to loose the pieces while I am walking away.
    I haven't attached my plates to the flak vest yet but I was leaning toward magnets. I know a guy from the 501 who used Velcro and has no problems. I don't know if its the Velcro I bought, but from past projects I find the Velcro attraction is stronger than the backing glue so whenever I remove stuff it just peals the Velcro off. Obviously sewing the Velcro into the clothes prevents one side from pealing but the armour sides still peals.
  19. Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Oct 27, 2015, 7:45 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any awards) #18

If you use super glue on your velcro they won't peel off
    Oct 27, 2015, 10:20 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any awards) #19

Thank you for the tips Malkavian and xanthis. I am leaning towards velcro as well for this build these pieces aren't very heavy. I have done quite a bit more but it is getting to be harder separating out the projects. I might have to go to just a this is what I did today type video rather than separating it all out into different pictures as I have been working on several parts at once.

In today's video I added the battle damage using a heat gun and just a sharpie to dent the pieces. It was not that difficult and it was the last step before painting. I have since painted and repainted the pieces several times as I went WAY overboard on the amount of "weathering" I applied to the armor.

The denting technique was not difficult the heat gun and pressing the piece to me worked wonderfully. The battle damage is done with masking fluid I first bought from hobby lobby for $15 then found at Walmart for $7.50 so I took back the hobby lobby stuff. You can see in the video I already have the primer, silver, and yellow coats of paint. If you look closely I did the masking video after I did the de-masking video. I think it worked out pretty well. But I had to tone it down ALOT. I figure the paint video should have probably come firs, but I will finish that one in a couple days because I still haven't finished all the painting.

Pictures:

Video:

21. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Oct 27, 2015, 11:23 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any screeaccuracy awa #20

Thank you!
    Oct 27, 2015, 11:42 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any awards) #21

Love the videos. Good work friend!
    Oct 28, 2015, 7:25 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any awards) #22

One of the last videos before I go to the new format which is more of a project journal less of an organized by exact portion of the costume. If you all don't like the new format please let me know and I can see about swapping back to that. It can get tedious working on multiple projects making sure I separate the videos before I put them together.

The masking worked well. Too well. The armor came out looking leopard print so I had quite a bit of repainting to do to tone it down.

I used the masking fluid as well as a primer, silver, yellow, then green all having two coats of paint each. This update is pretty self explanatory. Photobucket App is being a pain I will update with pictures later. Tonight i go pick up some vinyl decals. The pictures will show that there is too much battle damage.

The pictures:

The Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdE_4J11hDg
    Last edited by Stormcrow85; Oct 28, 2015 at 10:04 PM.
    Oct 29, 2015, 6:59 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any awards) #23

So as briefly mentioned in the original girth belt post. I trashed it and made another one. I don't really have any pictures but I laid out a board added some screws and then put D-hooks on each end and ran a rope between the two, then I sewed them together. I still have to run the straps between the D-Rings and I plan on doing that tonight.

I did not buy polyester specific dye, because none of the local stores carried it in the color I needed. I then dyed the belt for 1 hour at 180* F, let it dry over night and it still rinsed right out and turned the belt Pink. Feeling somewhat defeated about the dying process. I will be painting the belt, and hoping for the best.

In the video I:

Make the belt and dye the belt. I hope you enjoy.

Video:
    Oct 30, 2015, 9:50 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any awards) #24

I am sure you all have noticed that I have a lot of painted armor, but no painting videos. I was still attempting to keep the painting separate then make a video. I did most of the painting over several days it turned out pretty well. If I were going to do it again I would have probably bought 2 cans of silver paint so I could put on the second coat a bit thicker. Other than that I think it turned out really well. Enjoy.

I had painted the rust color primer on.

Then On to the yellow. Because the Cod piece was taking a bit more time. I had to paint that about a day behind everything else.

Then as I showed a few posts ago I did my masking and then did my painting of green.

Video: No intro this time I am working with new software and need to get back to the project so I am not going to make an intro for this one (Maybe later)
    Oct 31, 2015, 1:20 PM - Re: Costume Project Boba Fett - ESB (Though I doubt I will win any awards) #25

So no real intro to this video either. This video has several parts as well.

Part 1: Cutting out (roughly) the template for the back plate. I did this so I could go back to the sign shop to see if they had a big enough piece. They did and once again they gave it to me for free.

Part 2: Removing leopard print battle damage. This is not the last time I would remove pock marks from the armor I made. I looked at reference photos in order to remove some of the marks. It still wasn't enough.

Part 3. I cut out the armor templates. from the paper for the inner and outer skins for the gauntlets. Those gauntlets are very confusing. I did a TON of measuring, checking, measuring, cutting and I still didn't end up with a products I liked. I also cut the back plate and the gauntlet shapes from the PVC foam. Once I cut the shapes I set the back plate aside until I get home and can work on it there. The gauntlets I started to try and shape.

Part 4: Gauntlets
    I made several mistakes when it came to the gauntlets:
    1. I didn't have an oven so I had to form it little by little
    2. I didn't glue the pieces together before I tried shaping the whole thing so the outer radius was messed up (Also the template even warns against this, I just don't heed warnings some times)
    3. I made the gauntlets WAY too thick
    4. I did not have anything but my arm to form them too which gave me very inconsistent lines at the edges.
    The moral of the story is read, heed, and plan better than I do.

You can see that throughout the video I really fight the material. It was a frustrating day that got me to rethink the way I am doing the gauntlets. It was a good learning experience on what I will not be doing in the future.
    Pictures:

Video:
    Last edited by Stormcrow85; Oct 31, 2015 at 1:26 PM.