Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Jun 19, 2007, 2:53 PM - Some help on whether a jetpack can be constructed from my styrofoam #1

Hi, i need some comments from other Fett-goers on if I can construct the JP out of some construction-grade styrofoam. I have some pics here, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foam 1.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	18368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foam 2.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	18369  
  2. Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Jun 19, 2007, 2:54 PM - Re: Some help on whether a jetpack can be constructed from my styrofoam #2

oh, disregard the lawnmower in the bg, it was taken in my garage. And sorry if it's dark.
  3. I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    Jun 19, 2007, 4:43 PM - Re: Some help on whether a jetpack can be constructed from my styrofoam #3

I won't say it is impossible, but there is one very significant issue that is going to arise while cutting, trimming, etc. And that is that you are gonna get a lot of pieces chipping off. It will probably be difficult to get a smooth surface.

I'm not sure what you would be using this for, but if it's for trooping, you're gonna have a problem if somebody bumps into it.
  4. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Jun 19, 2007, 5:07 PM - Re: Some help on whether a jetpack can be constructed from my styrofoam #4

I would recommend using a "skin" of sintra or styrene to keep the material from being damaged.

5. Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Jun 20, 2007, 12:21 PM - Re: Some help on whether a jetpack can be constructed from my styrofoam #5

Allright, thanks for the help. I decided to instead to use another Fett's method that only cost him $30, but I cut out the styrofoam to use as a model to cut out my wooden backpiece.
    Jun 21, 2007, 3:19 AM - Re: Some help on whether a jetpack can be constructed from my styrofoam #6

you can always fiberglass over the foam I know someone who's made a set of armor that way and it turns out really well. I was going to make my JP that way but I'm fiberglassing over cardboard instead now following WoF's templates.

Forcebewitya.
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jun 21, 2007, 4:53 AM - Re: Some help on whether a jetpack can be constructed from my styrofoam #7

Wouldn't the chemicals in fiberglass/resin/whatnot dissolve the foam?
    Jun 22, 2007, 10:35 AM - Re: Some help on whether a jetpack can be constructed from my styrofoam #8

Polyester resin will eat this type of foam, so use an Epoxy resin or protect the foam before fiberglassing with water-based polycrylic (i.e. Minwax) , several coats. People have been using this foam for building rc planes, then some fiberglass them. I have seen them use water-based polycrylic (i.e. Minwax) with fiberglass cloth also. I was also planning on building a jet pack using the pink foam and then fiberglassing it.
    Here is a site I found. This guy is using pink foam and fiberglass to build things. http://www.fiberglassblades.com/Process_FF.html
    Falconfett