Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    May 2012
    Aug 31, 2012, 5:17 AM - Soft Parts Weathering Paint? #1

I would be interested to know brand, type and colors members are using to weather flight suits and pouches in particular. I have noticed Rustoleum and Krylon mentioned while also finding something called Simply Spray Fabric Paint on Internet searches though did not see noted in any threads. This would be for esb from LSFU. Thanks.
    Aug 31, 2012, 2:26 PM - Re: Soft Parts Weathering Paint? #2

Most of the weathering done on my suit is with Ceramcoat black acrylic paint (and some brown) as well. I watered down the paint (about 8:1, I believe) and then applied it using a spraybottle for most of the suit. On specific areas, I used the same mixture and sponge-brushed it on. I don't have a lot of progress shots, but you can see how it looks currently in my build thread here. I plan on doing another weathering pass (nothing big, just some brown dirtying up) and then lock it in with a light acrylic topcoat.
    Aug 31, 2012, 3:32 PM - Re: Soft Parts Weathering Paint? #3

Is that safe for cotton twill fabric? I was thinking of weathering my jumpsuit with watered down fabric dyes so it stays soft and washes well unless acrylic is harmless.

Is acrylic ok to use with fabric?
    Aug 31, 2012, 4:15 PM - Re: Soft Parts Weathering Paint? #4

I've used Createx acrylics. They're sold in arts and craft type stores like Michael's.
    They come in pretty basic colors, but they can be mixed to get different shades.
    They're airbrush ready right out of the bottle, and they can be sealed after they
    dry by ironing your item.

I mixed a couple different muddy brown and grayish brown shades and sprayed
    them on my flightsuit.
  5. Member Since
    May 2012
    Aug 31, 2012, 7:48 PM - Re: Soft Parts Weathering Paint? #5

Thanks guys...I am very tempted to try this product, but seems a bit too easy I assume something is wrong. Looking at this video it seems like you could quickly get decent results using a can of black and maybe shade(s) of brown. No mixing, auto-sets, permanent, washable, leaves item soft and comes in continuous spray aerosol can with what looks like very fine mist wide dispersion held from distance. Deceiving? Maybe I will test this on pair of cheap white pants to see what happens before I damage LSFU's good work as I have a while to wait and test anyway.

Videos - Simply Spray
  6. Aug 31, 2012, 10:13 PM - Re: Soft Parts Weathering Paint? #6

i use krylon black primer. Just misting it from a distance. Doesn't stiffen the fabric and looks natural.
    Sep 1, 2012, 1:17 AM - Re: Soft Parts Weathering Paint? #7

I just used fabric dyes miked with water. I tried the spray bottle idea, but the misting wasn't fine enough and I ended up with "droplets" making spots, so I reverted to using sponges and brushes... Get them wet with the dye/water solution, dab most of it off on an old T shirt, then apply to your soft parts.

I'd stick to using black and dark brown.. I tried a lighter brown to add more depth to the grime, but it just ended up looking grass-stain green.
  8. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Sep 1, 2012, 6:01 AM - Re: Soft Parts Weathering Paint? #8

Quote superjedi said: View Post
    I've used Createx acrylics. They're sold in arts and craft type stores like Michael's.
    They come in pretty basic colors, but they can be mixed to get different shades.
    They're airbrush ready right out of the bottle, and they can be sealed after they
    dry by ironing your item.

I mixed a couple different muddy brown and grayish brown shades and sprayed
    them on my flightsuit.
    Wow, I never knew about ironing them.... I'd re-weather my jumpsuit after every time I had to wash the darn thing.