Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. TR3171
    Dec 2, 2002, 11:36 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #26

I purchased a fog machine for halloween, what about rigging something like that up? I am not sure entirely how it works but I think it has to do with heating the fog juice, Im not sure

Greg
  2. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Dec 2, 2002, 11:37 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #27

What about R134a freon? Its automotive refrigerant, Ozone friendly, comes in 12 oz. cans and runs roughly 5-7 bucks a can. It will blow a good white smoke and make a pretty loud & noticeable whoosh sound too.
  3. death to windu
    Dec 4, 2002, 11:36 AM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #28

I remember reading in an old HAUNTED ATTRACTION magazine that there was a company coming out with a battery operated fog machine. It was small enough to be worn on your person. It was intended to be used in haunted houses or any cool Halloween costume. Every where you went there would be a cloud of fog with you. This would be perfect for a jet pack. I will go thru my older issues and get the company name and number and post it here. It may take a couple of days due to the fact that we are in the process of moving. But as soon as I get the info I will post it ASAP.
  4. Member Since
    May 2002
    Dec 14, 2002, 7:52 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #29

Dec 14, 2002, 8:11 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #30

Man, that is perfect. TK826 wasn't kidding though.

Compact battery-powered fogger: $995.00
    Wireless remote control: $299.00
    Concentrated fog fluid: 8oz $15.00, 32oz $35.00
    Hose adapter: $59.00
    Y-splitter: $5.00
    Tubing: 2' $9.00

Grand total: $1,382.00-$1,402.00

Out of my price range, but man would that be sweet.8)
    Dec 14, 2002, 8:17 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #31

Hey Fettish, just bring your jet pack to me and I'll light it on fire for you! That should make plenty of smoke!!
    Dec 14, 2002, 8:29 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #32

Sorry man, fiberglass resin isn't flammable although I'm sure the RotJ paintjob would make some cool multi-colored flames.
    Dec 14, 2002, 9:03 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #33

OH, I'll figure out a way to get it going man, trust me!!!
  9. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Dec 15, 2002, 7:02 AM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #34

Now this might be interesting. I am most interested in this because there is no fire involved and also no electronics so it should be fairly safe...

Anyone want to start looking into this more seriously? I know I am! Perhaps we could rig up a unit that holds the cans and with the press of a button the can valve stem could be depressed letting out some freon. Sounds pretty simple and very cool!!!

BoJangleFett wrote:

What about R134a freon? Its automotive refrigerant, Ozone friendly, comes in 12 oz. cans and runs roughly 5-7 bucks a can. It will blow a good white smoke and make a pretty loud & noticeable whoosh sound too.
    Dec 15, 2002, 8:29 AM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #35

Actually 134a refridgerant isn't "ozone friendly" any more than R22/R12/R502 etc. when released into the atmosphere.I work with HVAC at my work and have some working knowledge of refridgerants."Reclaiming" refridgerants is the law and is the deliberate practice of not releasing them into the atmosphere.Releasing them also isn't the smartest thing to do if you've ever been burned by ANY refridgerant I guarantee it's the last time you want it to happen.While the effect would be had for the jet pack it isn't safe,or very consious of the environment to do so,and is just like pouring antifreeze down your drain,or sewer.Sorry to be a poopy head,but it just isn't the right thing to do,and is also dangerous.

Steve
  11. Ego
    Dec 15, 2002, 8:30 AM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #36

Aren't there some sort of environmental issues with releasing freon into the air??

Jer
    Dec 15, 2002, 8:40 AM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #37

Absolutely! There are penalties to be had if a facility,...even a home is "leaking" more than 10lbs. a year from what I had found out.I had a leak at home,and was talking with my boss about it asking some questions to the legalities of "re-filling" vs. fixing it.There are some areas that make it hard to police,or enforce,but nonetheless it IS illegal to knowingly release ANY refridgerant into the atmosphere.

Steve
  13. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Dec 15, 2002, 9:06 AM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #38

Wow Blaster, things have gotten a bit tougher with the freon rules lately. I'm glad I read this. My last job was installing/retrofitting/recovering freon, ect. up until 1995 when I worked at a Ford. Now I sell the stuff on the retail side and the info given to us by the vendors now seem to be outdated by a long shot. Thanks for the info.

B.T.W. I'm changing my mind from R134a to...um...canned COOL WHIP! I'm sure it's ozone friendly and sure to be a hit at all the Dairy Queens!
    Dec 15, 2002, 3:47 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #39

It became mandatory to reclaim after June 1994.We used to just crack open valves and let it just spew out until that time since it was alot easier than reclaiming the stuff.Unfortunately as I said the government can't police such laws to the average Joe,but the moral issue is at hand.I'd hate for any of you guys to get in trouble for lack of knowledge Oh,and canned "Cool Whip" isn't any better for the atmosphere, ......basically anything in a spray can isn't good for it.

Steve
    Dec 15, 2002, 4:35 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #40

Back to the drawing board.
  16. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Dec 15, 2002, 11:31 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #41

Okay....talk about back to the blackboard...how about 2 blackboard erasers, hold 'em each in one hand and smack 'em together! Now you got some FX smoke happening!
    This is going to sound sillier but I think it may stand a possible chance, maybe. Remember train sets that had smoke coming out of the smoke stack? I know the scale of one of those train sets is smaller than the Jet Pack exhaust funnels and possibly won't put out the quantity of smoke expected. I don't know how those trains put out the smoke and I wonder can it be done safely on a little bit larger scale? If so, maybe rig it up to each exhaust nozzle with a hidden computer fan to help blow it out. Maybe, or maybe not?
    Dec 16, 2002, 8:08 AM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #42

I believe those trains actually heat up the smoker liquid that is put in it, but only gives off a puff puff puff as it goes....i think most here will want a WOOOOSSSHHHHHH of smoke....
    Dec 16, 2002, 12:03 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #43

The older Lionel trains used "smoke pellets",and put out minimal smoke in the "O" scale trains.
  19. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Dec 16, 2002, 11:40 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #44

Boy, this gets tougher as this thread gets longer. I'm about to give up and go for the "Damaged electronic sparkling effect" that was caused by the Reek in AOTC. That way, if anybody ask, I can use the old "No it doesn't work...Mine is screen accurate!" I have thought of at least 3 other ideas that would possibly work but all of them risk the safety issue.
    Dec 23, 2002, 5:44 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #45

I thought of another way but it would take some work to fashion it in. If you have ever seen those miniture water gardens (like for table tops) they have a little fogger that makes a really cool smoke affect that looks like dry ice. It works off of the water I believe, so you would need 1) a power source (maybe a small battery in the pack and 2) some type of reseviour in the pack. I think the little device is like 30 bucks and I'm sure you could find em on Ebay or somewhere online. Lasts for a long time too, and would look like a cool idle smoke.
    Dec 23, 2002, 5:49 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #46

here we go, this is what I am talking about...

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=820

or

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1675

with colored lights and more fog.

Dec 23, 2002, 6:29 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #47

What about those "keyboard dusters" in a can.The compressed air kind.If it's inverted it fogs just like cracking a can of freon open.Since it's designed to be dispersed and into what becomes the "atmosphere" it really doesn't matter whether it's held right side up,where you get air,or up side down where you get a cold forced air fog to give a wicked jet pack effect

Whatta ya' think ? ? ?

Of course a homemade rig would have to be customized and have 2 cans in a pack.Perhaps a can on either side,and some freon gauge hoses (when inverted that stuff is COLD) hooked up to the bare can tops and going to the thrusters.A button to press,and release the thrust.It would be alot of work,but certainly a crowd pleaser at Celebration III !

So who's gonna do it first? My pack is already sealed and being painted so I'm out

Steve

23. Appolo_50
    Dec 23, 2002, 6:45 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #48

Since I have not started the jet pack yet I am going to try to customize the pack a little so that I can put the smoke in a can into it. I plan on having 1 can in each Fuel tank? cylinder thing on each side of the jet pack. the tops will screw off and the can will fit in upside down so that when the top is screwed back on it will press the top of the can down to release the fog. the jet pack nozzles and the rods that connect them to the pack will be hollowed out so that the fog can escape through them. Thats pretty much my plan on how I am going to tackle it. If anyone else tries this keep me posted on how it works
    Dec 31, 2002, 10:09 AM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #49

Migrate wrote:

Hey guys, I think I may have struck gold on this one. There was a post last December about some Fetts wanting to rig their 'packs to emit some kind of exhaust.

Well...after an "exhausting" search of my own, I believe I have found something that will work.

I work in the production industry (TV commercials, mainly) and a product we were using on a shoot just yesterday screamed out to me.

It's called "Fantasy X" but is commonly known as "Fog-in-a-Can".

If someone can tell me how to post pics, I'll slap up an image. But for now, just go to - http://www.slclasers.com/Pages/SLCWEBCAT14.html

It's completely oderless and harmless. It just lets out a stream of white fog that quickly dissapates, along with a "whoosh" sound, that is common to all aerosol dispensers.

It would be very easy to rig up a couple of cans of this upside down in your jet pack and activate it with a small wire (similar to a bicycle's caliper brake wire) or even an electric servo with an RF transmitter.

Anyway, I was considering keeping this little gem to myself, but I thought sharing it would be better for all of us in the long-run.

Check it out and tell me what you think!

Fett ya later.

What ever happend to this idea? It sounds like it would work?

Here's another link to online vendor.

http://www.studiodepot.com/store/ind...2-1202&id=6935

here are some nozzels

http://www.imscanada.com/drying.htm

Dec 31, 2002, 1:02 PM - Re: SMOKING JETPACK EXHAUST! #50

http://www.citcfx.com/prod_fantasyfx.htm

Heres a good sight about the product. check out the adobe info.