Subscribe
    Aug 28, 2006, 5:58 PM - Shoes, glorious shoes - A question #1

Looking to make some boots for my sons fett costume. I looked around on the board but most of the references for base shoes were a few years old. Has anyone who has made BF boots for younger or small fetts found a decent base? Most of the canvas shoes I have found online to serve as a base were lace up, which seems like a much harder way to go.
    Thanks!
    Aug 28, 2006, 11:52 PM - Re: Shoes, glorious shoes - A question #2

You could use TK409's method... Which is basically painting any old leather/pleather ankle boot.

Maybe you can find a generic pair of these? These are kind of on the pricey side for a kids costume, and would need some work on the soles.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/17535019/c/3.html
    Aug 29, 2006, 12:20 AM - Re: Shoes, glorious shoes - A question #3

Yeah, they look like an almost perfect start, but at $75 bucks it is a bit pricey for the base boot. I will probably hit WalMart or Target and see what they have, then go with TK409's approach (like you said). Just thought maybe someone had come across a cheap basketball shoe of something that made a good base. What is the the one that everyone keeps saying they get at Walmart, and do they make that in a really small size? He's only nine, but already in a small men's shoe...
    Aug 29, 2006, 12:43 AM - Re: Shoes, glorious shoes - A question #4

Not sure about the Walmart shoe. I bet you could find plenty of slip-ons there though. You may have to add material to them or something, but I'm sure you could swing a nice base from something they have.

In the meantime, I found a $40ish pair of kids boots that you might like:

http://www.softmoc.com/us/systemshow...8573%20TORONTO
    Aug 29, 2006, 12:57 PM - Re: Shoes, glorious shoes - A question #5

Wow, these are cool! Decent price too. Thank for the link. They look a lot like the Pimigi ones, but half the price.
    Aug 29, 2006, 2:00 PM - Re: Shoes, glorious shoes - A question #6

The top of the page there says that they've got free shipping too... If you get these for your son, I wanna see a progress thread.
    Aug 30, 2006, 7:34 AM - Re: Shoes, glorious shoes - A question #7

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=9834

see my thread on scratch built boots, make sue to scroll down to the see all the posts for the end results
    Aug 30, 2006, 11:54 AM - Re: Shoes, glorious shoes - A question #8

Thanks Ronin, your thread (and TK409's) was the inspiration for me to scratch build some. I couldn't believe how good they turned out! Is it easy to get in and out of them without the laces? Do they still stay on ok?
    Aug 31, 2006, 8:02 AM - Re: Shoes, glorious shoes - A question #9

Quote Bubba Fett said: View Post
    Thanks Ronin, your thread (and TK409's) was the inspiration for me to scratch build some. I couldn't believe how good they turned out! Is it easy to get in and out of them without the laces? Do they still stay on ok?
    i have altered them again since the phots to allow for exactly what you are asking. I have slit the boots straight done the back (from the top of the rear quarters to the bootom of the quarters, just above the heel). I then brought the coverings inside the boots to cover up where i cut. Then i have attached a velco seam to cover the slit. Hope this makes sense.

the velco seam is not really noticable from the back (heavily weathered )and the boots go on and off like a dream

I will try to get phots of what i mean.
    Aug 31, 2006, 1:08 PM - Re: Shoes, glorious shoes - A question #10

Cool, I will look forward to a couple of pics!