Subscribe
    Jan 14, 2004, 9:45 AM - Searching for the perfect scope for ROTJ rifle #1

Has anyone identified the actual scope on the ROTJ rifle? Are they still made? If not, is there a modern-world equivalent?

I've been using an $8 Wal-Mart scope with my current rifle, but am ordering that sweet fiberglass version, and wanted it to be more accurate.

Are there any decent closeups of the mounting?

2. Appolo_50
    Jan 14, 2004, 11:29 AM - Re: Searching for the perfect scope for ROTJ rifle #2

Alot of people use the cheap tasco ones from wal-mart but I think someone said (and you experts correct me if Im wrong) that the real scope was a ASI 4x20?

Hope that helps
    Jan 14, 2004, 11:35 AM - Re: Searching for the perfect scope for ROTJ rifle #3

The real scope is definitely a 4x20, however I am not sure that anyone has been able to find a definite brand/model.

I believe Lord Sandy from the RPF found the ASI 4x20 scope, and it's a very good match for the scope. However, I don't believe ASI is the only manufacturer of the correct scope. There maybe other manufacturers who produce a similar, if not identical scope. Unfortunatelty, I haven't been able to find either.

4. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Jan 14, 2004, 7:03 PM - Re: Searching for the perfect scope for ROTJ rifle #4

Yes, Lordsandy has found an ASI 4x20 scope that does look like the ROTJ scope and there is a definate possibility that it is. However, as was stated above, these scopes were made by several manufacturers throughout the years and I find it hard to say that the ASI is the only scope it could be.

Basically, the differences in the 4X20 seem to be the screw on end bell shape, placement of the adjusting knobs, knob covers, and clamps. You just have to keep your eyes open for the right type.
    Jan 29, 2004, 10:31 AM - Re: Searching for the perfect scope for ROTJ rifle #5

I found a Tasco version of the 4x20. The body looks the same, but the mounts are a little different. The Tasco is 10.5" in length.

(reversed image)

(from the MoM exhibit)

How close am I?

Jan 29, 2004, 6:37 PM - Re: Searching for the perfect scope for ROTJ rifle #6

I had bought many cheap scopes off of e-bay for a few bucks here and there thinking I could piece one together ... but I found a similar scope that you did The good thing about getting all those old crappy junk scopes was I found mounts that are closer to the originals You could probably look for some mounts on e-bay
    Jan 29, 2004, 7:00 PM - Re: Searching for the perfect scope for ROTJ rifle #7

Hey Batninja!

What's your source for that scope? If you can tell us
    Jan 30, 2004, 2:15 AM - Re: Searching for the perfect scope for ROTJ rifle #8

I saw that the tutorial on Obi-Wan's site used a Tasco 4x20 scope, so I searched www.tasco.com. I found the model RF4X20WAD, and did a search through Google.

I found this site:
    http://www.procura.com/rf4x20wad.html

Procura sells them for $5.63! Can't beat that. I'll still have to find the correct mounts...

9. Member Since
    Aug 2003
    Jan 30, 2004, 2:26 PM - Re: Searching for the perfect scope for ROTJ rifle #9

I found a scope on ebay but unfortunatelly the seller couldn't post pictures. He did his best to describe it and it sounded about right according to the dimensions he gave.

The markings on it are:

"A.S.I 4 X 20 COATED IMAGE MOVING JAPAN"

It should be here in a day or 2. Fingers crossed its the correct one

Even if it isn't I'm sure its a close match and for $7 it can't be bad!

Jan 30, 2004, 6:47 PM - Re: Searching for the perfect scope for ROTJ rifle #10

I picked up some of these on Ebay a year or so ago but don't have any left. It looks real close especially with a little modification.

It is a Russian made TS4x20WA by Zenit.

Jan 30, 2004, 8:54 PM - Re: Searching for the perfect scope for ROTJ rifle #11

I might be able to fabricate the mounts with .040 styrene and a Dremel. As long as the base holds okay, no one would be able to tell the difference after they're painted.

Jan 30, 2004, 10:15 PM - Re: Searching for the perfect scope for ROTJ rifle #12

Batninja, you might be able to use tin from a can or maybe some aluminum. Either would hold up a bit better than styrene.