Searched, but maybe I'm missing it - what screws to attach spikes to boots?

kevnaminute

Hunter
Picked up a set of Jodokast's metal spikes and MOW 2014 boots. Was wondering how everyone goes about doing this? Will screws do the job or will I need to use glue as well?

Thanks guys.

Screws are a definitely mandatory for the install, but I would put a light coat of JB Weld on for stability. I find when I walk, the spikes see a lot of action, so they need to be secured. Small screws are fine :)

OK Brother here's what i'm doing but please understand this is just one method.

Start with some boots
IMG_a.JPG
Add some hardware and supply's
IMG_a1.JPGIMG_b.JPG
I found some aluminum nails that i grind down to make into pins or studs.
IMG_c.JPGIMG_c1.JPG
next i screw in 2 drywall screws into the front of each boot.
IMG_d.JPG
Fit your spikes as close to the boot and as even as possible. once the fitting is correct i add J.B.weld to the inside of the spike plate and a dab on the screws.
IMG_e.JPG
now i push in the studs
IMG_4397.JPG
At this point i like to fill in all the gaps with white bathroom calking
IMG_f.JPGIMG_4402.JPG
and when the dust clears they should look like these. again just my method.
IMG_g.JPG
Ok Brother hope that helps.

(=Syper=)

the "nails" remind me of the rounded type used for metal floor trim, like where carpet meets wood or linoleum flooring. Good idea w/ the JB weld.

I just did my spikes last week. Jodokast89's spikes are a perfect fit for the MOW boots, so all I needed were screws and a healthy amount of gorilla glue to fill in any tiny gaps that remained. After that, they just needed a little weathering and they were ready to roll (stroll?).

As others mentioned, the spikes can get knocked and start to come unscrewed. Some superglue (or JB weld, as others have said) will hold the screws in place... otherwise when the spikes get knocked, the screw will just spin and make it infuriatingly difficult to realign the spike.

To minimize the likelihood that the spikes will get knocked, try to mount them as high as you can on the front surface of the sole. Then they'll be less prone to knocking against the ground when you push off with your toes as you walk. In my pic, you can see the one on the right is mounted flush with the top of the sole, but the one on the left is down a little lower, so it hits occasionally when I walk. I'll have to fix that at some point...

spikes.jpg

On mine i took the spikes off the plate and put Smooth-on metal set epoxy in the holes on the spikes and a tiny bit on the spike surface that touches the plate, and screwed them back on. Wiped away any excess after that and let it set up.

I used small wood screws with a touch of superglue, and just screwed them on to the boot, keeping the plate in line with the top edge of the sole. I put a dab of the metalset epoxy on the plate ends to keep it from tilting up and down and thats it. I did that for both pairs of boots i have and they never came loose or moved.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back