Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 17, 2014, 10:00 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #26

Before.
    Feb 18, 2014, 12:34 AM - Re: SE Boba Build #27

Looks great man, really digging the build so far! And I will agree with catbread, I think the bit of bagginess in the before shot looks better to me.
    Feb 18, 2014, 9:25 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #28

I'll take it back to how it was. Also dawning on me that the 't-shirt sleeve' length may have been right all along. It's strange, looking down at the suit on my own arms and it looks way too baggy, but it looks fine in a photo. I think I'll hold off on making any final decisions until I have all the armour pieces made.
    Feb 18, 2014, 10:55 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #29

Yeah, you will get a much better view of how it is when it all comes together than you will now. I thought mine was a good bit too bulky until I got it all finished and took new pics.
  5. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Mar 4, 2014, 12:07 AM - Re: SE Boba Build #30

what size did you go with on scaling the helmet?
    Mar 4, 2014, 9:25 AM - Re: SE Boba Build #31

Since Fett is 5'10" and I'm 5'6", I'm scaling everything down by 95% (aside for the gauntlets which come to about 89% on account of my short arms and thin wrists) and everything seems to fit perfectly.
  7. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Mar 4, 2014, 7:20 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #32

Quote Jesuit24 said: View Post
    Since Fett is 5'10" and I'm 5'6", I'm scaling everything down by 95% (aside for the gauntlets which come to about 89% on account of my short arms and thin wrists) and everything seems to fit perfectly.
    Cool I'm around the same. It's weird because I have big shoulders but everything else is small so I'm having a tough time trying to figure out my helmet size. The regular size looks fine on me if you don't see the rest of my body lol. Thanks though.
    Apr 2, 2014, 10:31 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #33

I was a bit apprehensive about this update seeing as I went with a topical approach to painting, which leaves a lot to be desired for accuracy; some sections are the wrong size and some don't match up perfectly as it was all done freehand with reference material and stencils. I have a local source of Humbrol paints so that's the route I took. I know the colour of the back panels is off, but I only realised I'd mixed the wrong colour green in until I was halfway through the weathering. This was my first try at airbrushing and mixing the paints to the right consistency proved to be a more difficult than I imagined.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helmet #50.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	75693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helmet #51.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	75694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helmet #52.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	75695
    (Pictures are badly colour corrected in Photoshop, I'll post better ones once I've got the helmet sealed)

I have a jet pack roughed out in cardboard with the rocket looking in dire need of bondo and the gauntlets are almost ready to be painted.
  9. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Apr 2, 2014, 10:45 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #34

Doesnt look bad at all...
    Apr 5, 2014, 12:33 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #35

Thanks, I never expected it to hold a candle to the actual bucket, but this forum is amazing for spurring people on to do the best they can. I'm proud of what I was able to do with virtually no tools and no materials. Here's some better pictures:

Name:	Helmet #53.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	75764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helmet #54.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	75765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helmet #55.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	75766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helmet #56.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	75767

Name:	Helmet.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	75768

I've got a servo coming in the mail and once that arrives, I'll see if I can get it hooked up to the rangefinder and then I'll start considering fans. The only place I can conceivably put one though is at the lower front, but I'm concerned the fan noise will interfere with my mic. Speaking of which, I'm going to get an Aker voice amp soonish.

Regarding other parts of the build, I the gauntlets need hinges fiberglassed in place seeing as the epoxy resin alone isn't quite up to the task of keeping the hinges secure. The jetpack has mostly been assembled and the interior fiberglassed for strength. The rocket took some doing, but I managed an extremely rough cardboard version which has been resined and is awaiting bondo to smooth up my mistakes. In addition, the shin tools are in their resin stage. I only went with the squeegee and the anti security blade as this was the ROTJ setup and I'm planning on emulating the Jabba's palace version (From pictures I've seen, I don't think the SE studio version had ANY shin tools, but I don't want to leave those pockets empty).

Name:	Jet Pack #1.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	75769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shin Tools #1.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	75770
  11. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Apr 12, 2014, 6:10 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #36

I do not envy all that sanding lol!
    Apr 12, 2014, 6:14 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #37

The talent of the people on this forum boggles my mind. Excellent work, man!
    Apr 14, 2014, 10:17 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #38

Really good work... I chump and go the easy way out buying other artist's work!
    Apr 15, 2014, 1:12 AM - Re: SE Boba Build #39

great looking helmet. I assume you paint the inside and out with fiber glass resin then Bono over it? Do you use any of the woven of matted glass material on the inside?
    Apr 15, 2014, 2:49 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #40

I think you've done an excellent job especially on the paintwork.
    Apr 16, 2014, 12:06 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #41

Thanks all for the praise. Yes, first I fiberglassed the interior using mat and then I used the same resin to harden the exterior. It's the same process I used for the gauntlets, shin tools and soon the jet pack. I've bought some PVC sheets to tackle the armour plates. Also, I've more or less finished the gauntlets now.

Name:	Gauntlets #7.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	76106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauntlets #8.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	76107

I had to enable the flash for the scorched weathering to show up. Does anyone know where I could get 3D printed gauntlet rocket/darts? The reason I ask for 3D printed is because I'd like mine scaled down since the gauntlets are smaller than the actual ones.

Parade gloves arrived today, so I'll need to dye them, then begin the arduous task of sewing on the white patches.
    Apr 16, 2014, 7:02 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #42

Great looking gauntlets! Toolguy301 has some 3d printed merch... Check in with him for that stuff..
    Apr 17, 2014, 1:56 AM - Re: SE Boba Build #43

Aprilstorm has also some great 3D projects. Here is the gauntlet rocket sell thread (with link to her Thingiverse page) ==> Fett gauntlet missile
    Apr 17, 2014, 3:51 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #44

I initially approached April through PM a while ago, but I never recieved a reply. It seems she hasn't been on the site for a while.
    Apr 17, 2014, 4:05 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #45

Wow great work Mr. thank you for posting your build
    Apr 18, 2014, 12:43 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #46

Hey, guys. I'd like a quick opinion if you don't mind. I'm back home for Easter and the PVC sheets have arrived, so the plan is to get all the armour cut out sharpish so I can easily take them back home after Easter, but first I was wondering how I did for sizing.

I ended up using Raf's templates rather than WoF's for the armour after the good experience I had with his helmet templates and I scaled it down by the same amount as the helmet. I'm not quite sure if I need to scale it down a touch more though so thoughts are welcome.

Name:	armour #1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	76171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armour #2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	76172
    Here's half of the paper stencils attached (and flipped). It looks proportionate, although my concern is with the side of the chest plate; it tucks rather sharply around my pec when form fitting (there's more of a curve to it than other chest plates I've seen) and if I simply didn't curve the PVC so much, it would jut out from the flak vest.
    I'm terrible at explaining things; I'm sure you've figured that out by now but hopefully that makes some sense.
    Apr 19, 2014, 1:36 AM - Re: SE Boba Build #47

The abdominal plate's height looks over dimensioned (you stretched it to fit the vest?), but as you said, the armor looks a bit big on you, so you should reduce the dimensions with 5-10% and do another test fit. I hope you won't use the flipped armor (to gain symmetry) as the whole suit is full of asymmetries, which gives that real look to it.

Keep us posted with your build. You are doing a great job!
    Apr 19, 2014, 10:40 AM - Re: SE Boba Build #48

I didn't mess with the proportions of the ab plate, I just reduced the scale to 95% as with the other pieces. I'm using an old copy of Adobe Acrobat to print the templates; maybe that's doing something it shouldn't. Don't worry, I won't be flipping the armour; I just couldn't be assed to print out all the pieces for a test fit.

So I did a couple more test fits. One in the 90% fit range and another in the 85%.

Name:	armour #3.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	76188
    90% feels neater although the chest plates still seem a little wide. I'd say the 85% chest plates are the right width, but there's a big gap between all the plates. So I took the smaller chest plates and put them with the larger pieces to get this:

Name:	armour #4.jpg 
Views:	99 
ID:	76189

The ab and chest plates, being different scales, will need distorting height-wise if I go with this option to make the gap between them more consistent, but the 90% option is still a possibility. What do you think?

EDIT: Now I'm even more indecisive. Since my flak vest comes down to my waist (I tuck it up past my belly button for pictures), I wondered if I was folding it in the wrong place. I took the 85% pieces and pushed them up to what I think the gap spacing would be and it looks much better, despite the large space at the bottom of the vest.

Name:	armour #5.jpg 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	76190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armour #6.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	76191
    So now I have three options, but I'm not sure which is best. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Jesuit24; Apr 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM.
    Apr 19, 2014, 10:55 AM - Re: SE Boba Build #49

Good work man. To even make a helmet is awesome enough! Thumbs up
  25. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Apr 19, 2014, 8:44 PM - Re: SE Boba Build #50

Quote Jesuit24 said: View Post
    I didn't mess with the proportions of the ab plate, I just reduced the scale to 95% as with the other pieces. I'm using an old copy of Adobe Acrobat to print the templates; maybe that's doing something it shouldn't. Don't worry, I won't be flipping the armour; I just couldn't be assed to print out all the pieces for a test fit.

So I did a couple more test fits. One in the 90% fit range and another in the 85%.

Name:	armour #3.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	76188
    90% feels neater although the chest plates still seem a little wide. I'd say the 85% chest plates are the right width, but there's a big gap between all the plates. So I took the smaller chest plates and put them with the larger pieces to get this:

Name:	armour #4.jpg 
Views:	99 
ID:	76189

The ab and chest plates, being different scales, will need distorting height-wise if I go with this option to make the gap between them more consistent, but the 90% option is still a possibility. What do you think?

EDIT: Now I'm even more indecisive. Since my flak vest comes down to my waist (I tuck it up past my belly button for pictures), I wondered if I was folding it in the wrong place. I took the 85% pieces and pushed them up to what I think the gap spacing would be and it looks much better, despite the large space at the bottom of the vest.

Name:	armour #5.jpg 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	76190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armour #6.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	76191
    So now I have three options, but I'm not sure which is best. Thoughts?
    Hard to say because I was using rafal fett templates at 93% and liked the way they laid out. Although once I had those it'd made my helmet look way too big so I made a new one scaled down slightly and everything seems to match up pretty well. You look a bit slimmer than me, but around the same size so I don't know maybe you wanna try that percentage?