This is where I'll collate my thoughts, frustrations, queries and demands as I put together my first Boba Fett costume. I'm planning on saving money wherever possible, if that means more work making things myself then so be it. If it's a homemade costume, I'll feel a lot more accomplished when I'm finished especially when I get to say 'I made that... out of cardboard'. I'm in the middle of making the helmet out of said cardboard. I'm following RafalFett's excellent templates and build thread and it's coming along quickly. The most expensive piece of the costume is the flight suit, vest and neck seal, which I don't realistically think I could make myself. I considered Bobamaker and Arkady but eventually chose empireprops (who I believe used to be cucblack) simply because it was the cheapest.
As for the helmet, this is where I'm at right now:
I made the smaller sections out of the back of an A3 drawing pad while I waited for the larger A2 pieces in the mail. A lot of it is very rough, which I intend to rectify when I get hold of a dremel to even up the edges. I bought a flashing LED metronome kit from Maplin and plan to add a tilt switch. The rangefinder stalk feels pretty flimsy as it is right now. I plan to resin the interior and then sand the exterior flat to get rid of the wobble and clean up the rough cuts.
I used spray adhesive to attach the templates to the card, making it easy to peel away when it wasn't needed, although when I ran out I used pritt stick which I applied a bit excessively. This resulted in the rough finish when I peeled it away. No matter; bondo solves all.
Despite a few rough patches, I'm pretty happy with the ears. Bondo needed in a couple of spots with a general sanding of the edges with a dremel being in order. The 0.5mm card was the front of the sketch pad I used, doubling it up for 1mm measurements.
Onto the helmet itself, I had a couple of sizing issues. The card structural insert was a little off, meaning I had to add and trim to match the dome base. I also had trouble sizing the inner and outer layers to the dome base/helmet base, but I think that was my fault in not adding another layer to the 330mm strip at the back. This resulted in the keyhole and visor matching the front and rear lines, but the ears being non-symmetrical. To fix this, I cut one ear off the outer layer and moved it back slightly to be more in line with the other one. I'm sure this means the ears will be slightly farther back that they should be, but I'm happy with how it looks and bondo will correct any ugliness from my cuts.
Next up, cutting out the cheeks. I'm also thinking about gluing the helmet base to the bottom and cutting a hole out like I'm to do with the dome base.
NECK SEAL - cucblack - complete
FLIGHT SUIT - cucblack - in progress
FLAK VEST - cucblack - complete
HELMET - RafalFett templates - complete
GAUNTLETS - WOF templates- in progress
SHIN TOOLS - Rafalfett templates - complete
JET PACK - WOF templates - in progress
JET PACK HARNESS - homemade - complete
ARMOUR - Rafalfett templates - complete
CAPE - homemade - planned
AMMO BELT - Strumfett templates - complete
POUCHES - WOF templates - planned
SPATS - WOF templates - planned
GIRTH BELT - homemade - complete
BRAIDS - katarra8 - planned
GLOVES - parade glove conversion - complete
BOOTS - chelsea boot conversion - in progress
BLASTER - Hasbro - in progress