Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Feb 12, 2014, 3:42 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #51

So a few comments mentioned the right shoulder bell was a bit too orange, and I agree looking at photos it was too orange. So I got home from work this AM and went to work, repainted the right bell and came up with this.

2. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Feb 17, 2014, 5:41 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #52

Ammo belt waiting to get sewn.

3. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Feb 17, 2014, 7:41 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #53

Everything is looking great! Love the weathering on the shoulders!!
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Feb 18, 2014, 4:38 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #54

So the girth belt did show up yesterday, and its a perfect fit. I have about 4-5 inches of nylon webbing tying the ends together and its a tiny bit loose.

I ended up taking some reference pictures printed as well as what I had on my phone to the Home Depot paint match cards. I finally settled on a colour by Behr called Cinnabark, it is a deep enough brown without being chocolate, and has just a hint of a rust red in the background.
    Edit: It is hard to see the red/rust tones in this picture.
  5. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Feb 20, 2014, 5:20 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #55

So here is my first attempt at sewing. I made this ammo belt as per instructions from Batninja posted here ages ago. The step by step is quite easy to follow, I found really the hardest part was matching the colour of the leather/pleather/vinyl/ naugahyde. The pleather I found had a deep chocolate with hint of deep green tone in the background. so I picked up a can of Krylon plastic paint in Espresso colour and lightly misted the pleather to allow the deep rich brown to show through with a more milk chocolate brown misted over top. I think it turned out ok. And this was my first sewing experience.... I am not a seamstress I give full credit to those men and women that have mastered their machines and are able to use them as an extension of their own fingers..

Now that I have the ammo belt and girth belt side by side I see that the girth needs a tiny bit of colour modification, and of course weathering on both.

6. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Feb 20, 2014, 10:22 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #56

Great job on the belt.
    Feb 22, 2014, 12:06 AM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #57

Every thing is coming out great

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Mar 6, 2014, 8:20 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #58

So I have been staring at my helmet for a while now and contemplating if I was going to attempt the thumbprint. Today I grew a pair and tossed a glob of white paint on the helmet, hit it with the heat gun to dry the edges a bit and then smeared it off. I think it worked out ok.

I can't wait to get the flight suit and gear so I can attach the armour pieces and then then work on the small bits.
  9. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Mar 20, 2014, 4:55 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #59

So I am so pleased, a special package arrived in the mail today, my flightsuit, vest and pouches arrived from Arkady and they fit very well!

I temporarily taped the armour to the suit, taped the pouches to the ammo belt and tried everything on. I am quite pleased with how it fits and looks.

Please be gentle, I am not nor will I ever be an ectomorphic Fett, being an endo-meso ex-bodybuilder I have a large frame that no matter how hard I try will never go away, so forever I will just have to be a bigger bounty hunter, and I am ok with that.

All that is left to get is some boots, gloves, braids and the EE3 and I will be complete.

Now the part I am sad about, weathering this beautiful flight suit.
    Mar 24, 2014, 3:43 AM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #60

Good work mate the shoulder armour looks kick arse! Its ok if your a bigger Fett, the others prob curl in the squat rack!
    Mar 24, 2014, 4:15 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #61

The girth belt is on too high, it needs to be around the waistband of the cod and buttplate.
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Mar 24, 2014, 4:55 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #62

You bet, I had another look and made the change. In the process of making the suit dirty now.
  13. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Apr 5, 2014, 11:21 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #63

Suit is dirty, pack is taped on, as is armour for the time being. Need to find gloves, boots and hopefully SR gets the stocks for the EE3s soon, then I can start working on the small details.

Apr 17, 2014, 11:39 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #64

Looking good mate keep up the awesome work! The great thing about this constume is that it is NEVER ending!
    Apr 17, 2014, 11:45 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #65

That looks great! What method did you use to dirty up the flight suit?
  16. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Apr 24, 2014, 4:55 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #66

Hi bcurtis, I used many different items to dirty up the suit, started with grabbing some coal and smashed it to powder and then rubbed it into the suit at locations where I figured a person would rub their hands or grab their pockets often. Then I used some flat black Tremclad and stood back about 3 feet and lightly misted certain areas, then proceeded to use acrylic paints in brown, camel/sand and dark grey to spray on areas of the suit while it was wet. I continued washing and varying these techniques until I was happy with the results. I still would like to darken the lower legs some more, but plan on continuing with the light applications until I am satisfied.

In the meantime I received my knee darts from Dakota at Machincraft Replicas, and they are fantastic! I painted them up and installed them this AM, unfortunately put a small crack in the one side of the knee, which luckily is easily repaired. I am quite happy with how the completed knees have turned out.

Next up I am still on the hunt for an EE3.
  17. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    May 15, 2014, 6:52 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #67

So I have done a bit of work since my last post.

Biggest project of all which I was dreading almost as much as the EE3 was the ESB sidearm.

I found and used the Aprilstorm 3D model of the Pulce 40. Since the printer was unable to do it in one large piece I had it made in 3 parts. Each of the pieces was filled with high density low expansion foam. As the foam was setting I attached the nozzle to the main body of the barrel by cutting a piece of 1/4" wood dowel which runs the entire length of the nozzle and main blaster body, and is set solidly in the foam. The grip was ABS welded to the main barrel. The whole thing was primed, sanded, primed again and then painted.

The holster was made out of Sintra by comparing visual references around the web and here on TDH. The rubber straps are not exact, I was not able to find the ribbed rubber so I used what I had available to me. Anyhow here is the final product.

May 15, 2014, 7:16 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #68

Can't believe the holster is sintra. Very nice!
    May 15, 2014, 7:18 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #69

Nice. Everything is coming together. Any more pics of the sidearm? Looks good.
  20. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    May 15, 2014, 8:42 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #70

Thanks, yes, it is all Sintra

Here is a pic of the blaster out of the holster.

May 16, 2014, 3:46 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #71

Nice job on that holster mister.
  22. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jul 6, 2014, 4:50 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #72

Well it has been a while since I have updated my pictures or this thread. I have been working on my costume while I have not been working at my real job and mountain biking... lots and lots of mountain biking

Anyhow, I can no longer honestly call this a scratch build, I have purchased many pieces for this costume and the latest pieces from Imperial Outpost Armoury (Redkraytdragon) are no exception. While I tried very hard to form the back armour, I was unable to get rid of the large shoulder gaps that I had, so I contacted our good friend RKD and asked him for one of his vacuum formed back plates and collar pieces.... one thing led to another and I ended up with a chest set as well as the back plate and collar piece.

Once I received the parts from IOA , I knew immediately what a difference to the overall feel of the costume a 3D vacuum formed piece made. While my heated and hand bent pieces of PVC would have worked, they did not give the depth and feel that the vac formed pieces did.

I would like to say as well that RKD is an amazing and talented man, that makes top notch pieces and has amazing customer service!

Once the trimming and light sanding was done on the pieces I set out to paint a new set of armour pieces, I am happy with the results and once the paint has dried a few days I will do a bit of weathering.

Jul 8, 2014, 1:21 AM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #73

Looking great Trevor! You got that painted up quick! Moving along nicely on it Looking forward to seeing more of your progress
    Jul 12, 2014, 10:37 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #74

That's what happens when you start this project. Your eye for detail improves, you start seeing the things that aren't quite right and want to update. It never ends. Looking good.
  25. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Aug 17, 2014, 11:51 AM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #75

So here we are, 10 months in and 95% complete. The final piece will soon be here and his hands will be holding his signature blaster.

I made a PVC skeleton and had my wife duct tape me. When I was cut free of the duct tape mummy proceeded to install the skeleton and stuff the body statue with crumpled newspaper, dressed my body double, made a few little changes here and there to weathering and such and then the new statue got posed.

I would definitely recommend making a mannequin to anyone that plans on wearing their suit and is still in the process of building their Fett. It allows you to see it from different points of view and make changes according to your artistic eye.