Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Dec 28, 2013, 5:13 AM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #26

Looking great fella
  2. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Dec 28, 2013, 10:56 AM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #27

Hey guys thanks for the compliments. I am going to start working on a jetpack soon, and then onto the soft parts.
  3. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Jan 3, 2014, 6:28 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #28

T90, your helmet looks awesome, could I ask which templates you used because I really like the matching numbers or marks. That is a very professional looking job, thanks for all the pics. My son asked me to help him for a cos play in may and I have to get started.
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 4, 2014, 11:29 AM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #29

Thanks, I tried to send the link to another member that had asked earlier but it would appear tha the pep file I used is no longer available and has been taken offline.
  5. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 9, 2014, 11:14 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #30

Well its been a bit, and I started this part of the build very hesitantly. I am not sure why I was not looking forward to the jetpack, possibly has to do with the amount of parts, or maybe it had something to do with the fact I am tired of bondo and sanding and filling and sanding some more. Whatever the reason I was purposely avoiding the very necessary jetpack.

So, I downloaded WOF jetpack template, bought a half sheet of Sintra and started tracing patterns.

Cutting 1/8" SIntra with an Xacto knife is a chore to say the least, the fore arm pump and blisters on the sides of my knuckles will attest to that.

Diving in head first I cut the majority of the large and major pieces. Armed with some PVC cement and a heat gun I set to shaping and gluing the parts together. Have I mentioned I do not like using PVC cement, not even a little bit. The main body went together rather quickly, even though I had to custom bend the main tube that runs down the centre.

Next I had to do some improvising. I could not find a tube that would fit the top section, I looked high and low and could not find a piece of PVC to fit properly, enter the bottle of Scotch, as I sat and had a drink I looked at the cardboard tube that the bottle of Scotch was held in and it just happened to be a perfect match. Cut, glue and voila! A tube that fits awesome, not only does it fit the space perfectly I was also able to use the lid as the base for the missile! Life is good.

So lots of cutting, heating, shaping, gluing, swearing and sanding, I was nearing the finish line of the main build. Next I have to fill cracks, holes, divets etc and sand it all down.

Here you can see my make shift missile clamp, the weights along with the dowel kept everything in line as well as assisted in clamping the glued and drying pieces.

The thrusters are made from 2.25" wood balls that I found at Michaels craft store and the top cone I made from a kids foam sun visor folded to the proper shape then filled with a mix of rondo. Once the rondo was hardened I peeled the foam off and like magic I had a solid topper the right shape and size.

Total weight of the pack is 3 lbs 14oz, which I feel is fairly reasonable.
    Jan 10, 2014, 3:55 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #31

whos pep file did you use for the helmet? it looks great.
  7. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 10, 2014, 4:39 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #32

New weight! I found a shipping tube that fit the sides perfectly! No more heavy sched 40 PVC!

Temporarily velcroed the pack in place to test fit. I think it will do just fine.

8. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 12, 2014, 5:53 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #33

Jetpack painted, now to finish the thrusters.

Michaels Craft store is a Fetter's best friend.

9. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 20, 2014, 12:31 AM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #34

Well the new gauntlets are almost done. The missile keypad and dental expander are all Redkraytdragon's parts and are quite well done! The gauntlets are made of Sintra and from the WOF templates, the switches are Alco and all wired in and completed. I still need to complete the flamethrower and some painting but for the most part these pieces are done.

10. Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Jan 20, 2014, 7:21 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #35

Wow, this is turning out pretty awesome. What template did you use for the gauntlets? I've found a couple of ROTJ ones, but can't seem to find the ESB gauntlets. I will be doing more research on the differences tonight, if it's not too much I'll build from the ROTJ templates and improvise the rest.
    Jan 20, 2014, 9:43 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #36

Wow your build is coming along nicely. Great looking pack.
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 20, 2014, 10:04 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #37

Thanks very much guys! I can finally see the light at the end of the project, now that the majority of the hard parts are done and painted.

As for the gauntlets I used the WOF templates and while they are for the ROTJ gauntlets, the differences between the ESB and ROTJ gauntlets are minor. The whipcord housing on the ESB is quite a bit shallower than the ROTJ version, and the flame thrower on the ESB is a completely different piece than on the ROTJ version. I left my whipcord housing a bit taller in case I want to make my ESB into a ROTJ sometime in the future, and I am working on the flamethrower now, hopefully I can complete it in the next few days so I can call the gauntlets done like dinner.

Again thanks for the compliments I can`t wait to get this complete and get some photos like Dathvorhees has for himself, that outfit looks fantastic!
  13. Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Jan 21, 2014, 3:14 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #38

Sweet, that's what I figured. This thread inspired me to get back on track with my Boba project. How did you get the paint to look as if it were chipped? I've seen the slightly soapy salt water paste method, and the paint chip solution stuff.
  14. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 21, 2014, 4:49 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #39

Chipped on the gauntlets or the pack or the helmet?
  15. Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Jan 22, 2014, 1:30 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #40

On the helmet.
    It turned out really well, I need to repaint mine soon.
  16. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 22, 2014, 4:08 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #41

I used the layering technique with masking fluid and some topical application on specific areas using a brushes, sponges, q tips and toothpicks.
  17. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 22, 2014, 10:44 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #42

So here are some flame thrower shots. It took some some sintra, some dowel, 3 pens, one dry erase marker, one cap from a tube of RTV silicon and one valve stem cap a few wood discs from any craft store and , some cutting, some gluing and some patience.

Now to work out some sort of light for the right gauntlet. I dont have a mini light, so I may need to Jerry rig some sort of bulb and switch set up.
  18. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 27, 2014, 7:39 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #43

Well I am nearing completion of the hard armour pieces. I need to get a few knee darts, a light for the right gauntlet a couple of greeblies here and there and a little bit more painting and weathering and I will be satisfied.
  19. Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Jan 29, 2014, 12:51 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #44

Sweet! All turned out really well, kudos!
  20. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Jan 29, 2014, 1:13 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #45

WOW! Incredible job!!
  21. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 29, 2014, 5:41 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #46

Thanks very much for the kudos guys!

I am pretty stoked right now, I will soon have in my hands a Fettronics V4 chest display! Not only that but I have ordered my flightsuit, vest, neckseal and pouches from Arkady.

I guess the last few pieces I will need to acquire over the next few months are

boots and toe spikes
    ammo belt
    girth belt
    scalp braids
    sidearm and holster
    ESB EE3
    Jetpack beacon and stabilizer

The list is getting smaller day to day which is quite exciting to see happen.

I have also decided to cut the whipcord housing off my right gauntlet and make it more to an ESB size, reattach and then refinish the gauntlet. A bit of work but everytime I see it lately I get frustrated and need to make it right.
    Jan 29, 2014, 9:16 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #47

Congrats on the decision to adjust the whipcord housing. It's always a tough decision between giving yourself extra work or leaving something bothersome alone.
  23. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 30, 2014, 2:06 AM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #48

Quote Jesuit24 said: View Post
    Congrats on the decision to adjust the whipcord housing. It's always a tough decision between giving yourself extra work or leaving something bothersome alone.
    Absolutely correct. It is now done and reattached. Far closer to the real deal than it was.

Edit with updated picture.
    Last edited by T90; Jan 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM.
  24. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jan 30, 2014, 9:56 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #49

And the last of the armour electronic parts showed up today, I was quite excited to see my Fettronics V4 chest display arrive. A tiny bit of trimming and some 2" Gorilla Tape later and voila, a functioning chest piece.

25. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Feb 8, 2014, 2:50 PM - Re: Scratch build ESB Boba WIP #50

So in working on some of the finer and smaller details I made up a hose harness that comes off the back of the flamethrower. I had some PVC airline from a fish tank air pump that looked about the right size. I then attached some barbs to a small piece of PVC that I had cut and shaped as a receiver for the airline. I added the same barbs to the back of the fuel cell block and just attached the pieces of hose to the appropriate barbs and clamped it all in place to see how it looks.

Of course it will need to be finish painted and attached, but it should do the job.

Edit

Painted and installed.

Last edited by T90; Feb 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM. Reason: Updated pic added