Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jul 22, 2004, 9:44 PM - Sci-fire Chest Display.... #1

I just finished the chest display prototype. It is very small. It will be even smaller and thinner when the printed circuit boards arrive. Take a look. It is animated to match the ESB or ROTJ version.

2. Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Jul 22, 2004, 10:09 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #2

looks good...how much for the finished product?
  3. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Jul 22, 2004, 11:11 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #3

Looks pretty cool ... but what's "Sci-fire"? Is this something you developed, or something you bought that is programmable? Sorry, don't recall ever hearing about it and it looks interesting.

ATM
  4. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jul 23, 2004, 6:58 AM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #4

I think he means sci-fire.com They are the new kid on the block, offering some very cool rubber guns as well as a DP Dlx recast helmet.
    Jul 23, 2004, 9:05 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #5

price???
    Jul 26, 2004, 3:15 AM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #6

Working on price. Right now the prototype is a bit bigger than we had hoped. The printed circuit board will shrink the base a bit. We are putting in a 10 position pot to make the version of chest display selectable. Should work out well.
  7. Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Jul 26, 2004, 8:45 AM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #7

ballpark price?
    Jul 26, 2004, 8:24 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #8

The initial run will be between $70.00 to $90.00. Not quite sure because we haven't gotten pricing back from the PCB people. I really want to get a list of interested people and get a preorder going. I know I'm new to the "dented helmet" but this will be a top notch product. It will most likely allow a selectable ESB or ROTJ display. The largest benefits will be the small footprint, brightness, vacuum formed backshell and battery life. I don't know if anyone is interested in a unit like this but it's guaranteed quality.
    Jul 26, 2004, 9:51 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #9

I am probally intrested pending price and final pics.
    Jul 28, 2004, 1:55 AM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #10

The board is now in progress. The pricing will be $75.00 plus shipping. The display will be selectable via a 2 position micro selector. You will be able to display the ESB or ROTJ version at any given time. We produce movie props for a living. This is a piece of cake. The gentleman doing the electronics has many years of experience on many features such as The Fifth Element and Terminator 2 and 3. His background is in movie electronics. I guarantee that the quality is excellent or money will instantly be refunded.
    Jul 29, 2004, 1:38 AM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #11

Okay. Slight update to the display that I didn't mention. The entire display is wired. The message can be changed via programming. We can burn a new chip and send it to you for about $20 if you decide to customize the display. If by chance we all get the DVD release of Star Wars and find out that the display is completely different than what we have believed, it's a piece of cake. Also, with the selector on the display, you are capable of changing from ESB to ROTJ on the fly.
    Jul 29, 2004, 10:33 AM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #12

Anyway you could wire hese bad boys up to smaller batteries, IE the thin lithium kind? I would love to see a small, compact, all together unit.

Jul 29, 2004, 12:15 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #13

Sure, we could do that as long as the voltage will run the LEDs properly. I'll talk to the electronics guy about incorporating a battery clip instead of a 9v lead.
    Jul 29, 2004, 12:17 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #14

The only drawback to the Lithium type batteries is that the cost and availability is no where near the 9volt. I would appreciate feedback from others on this before I make any changes. What do you guys think?
    Jul 29, 2004, 1:37 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #15

Exactly what distinction are you making between the ESB and ROTJ display? As you might have read, there is not enough reference or evidence to show any differences, if any, between the ESB and ROTJ displays.

Just curious what you were basing your Jedi display on.

Jul 29, 2004, 2:20 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #16

At this point nothing other than a slighly different motion. The idea is that the capability is there so that when the DVDs come out, hopefully we will be able to correct the displays based on a clearer image or behind the scenes stuff. Regardless, we can add a custom display setting to the unit before shipping.
    Jul 29, 2004, 2:35 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #17

Ah, interesting idea!

Jul 29, 2004, 3:43 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #18

For now, I think the display will be set up with ESB and Don Post versions. We will change it when the time comes.
    Jul 29, 2004, 4:17 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #19

My only reasoning behind asking about a thiner type battery is mounting it on your armor...a watch battery is significantly less weight than a 9v.

20. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Jul 29, 2004, 7:47 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #20

My persnoal opinion is that going with a watch battery isn't worth what you give up with the 9V. You'd lose capacity, pay higher prices for the batteries, and only thing gained is space. In a project like this, where you're putting the circuit behind chest armor instead of something small like a blaster, the benefit of a smaller package isn't substantial.

Just for the sake of an example, for those that have seen my light set, the reason I made the second board on a cable was because of all the room in the chest area. The display could set in its required position, and the other board could balance it out under the other chest plate. It could have been reduced to a smaller board, but with all the room in the chest area, why? Hope that made sense (with regard to space savings of the battery that is).

ATM
    Jul 29, 2004, 9:52 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #21

Sure. The problem is the amount of current that a watch battery can provide and the life expectancy. The 9volt although bulky will probably run this unit for a good 6 to 8 hours. The watch battery will not provide enough juice to run this for more than a few minutes. I can use something like an L544 camera battery that is roughly 1/2 the length of a AAA battery but it also will not run the unit for more than 3 hours without losing power. Plus, the camera batteries are about $7.00 a pop. versus $7.00 a box of 9v. I am willing to make them however the majority of people want. I just want to make sure that you are all aware of the trade off.

Thanks for the questions. Keep them coming.

Best regards,

John
    Jul 29, 2004, 9:57 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #22

By-the-way, the units can be ready to ship within a couple weeks. The boards are almost done and I can turn out 40 units a week. If you are truly interested in a very solid state chest display, please let me know.

I know there are others who are making these same displays. I don't wish to snuff them out. I am just trying to make this into what I will want for my costume. I already know that I want a custom display pattern as well as a screen accurate. This unit will allow that.

Best regards,

John
  23. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Jul 29, 2004, 11:14 PM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #23

postmortem01 wrote:

I know there are others who are making these same displays. I don't wish to snuff them out. I am just trying to make this into what I will want for my costume. I already know that I want a custom display pattern as well as a screen accurate. This unit will allow that.

Best regards,

John
    Just to keep the waters clear, I wanted to emphasize what I said in my last post. The reason I mentioned my set was just for the sake of discussion, regarding the room in the chest area. I for one welcome others to build lights (for themselves or sale), that's why I offered my schematic for the DIYers.

Oh, and mine is micro-controlled, and upgradeable by replacing a chip as well. Maybe great minds think alike.

Good luck,

ATM
    Jul 30, 2004, 12:18 AM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #24

I've seen your display. It's a spectacular setup. I started this because I was talking about it to our electronics guy. He said he could make me one. I flipped him some cash and poof. He then asked me to see if there were others interested in the same thing. That's kind of how this whole thing came about. I'd actually like to colaborate on some really cool projects with some people. I have a great shop of guys that have all the talents to make very cool stuff. Check out my work website.

www.studioartandtechnology.com

You can see what the guys are capable of building.
  25. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Jul 30, 2004, 1:25 AM - Re: Sci-fire Chest Display.... #25

Very cool stuff.

ATM