Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

RussRep\'s aluminum gauntlet missle project NEW PICS

Ego

Re: Aluminum gauntlet missle

Well, for what it's worth, I was doing some work with someone here on the board on an machined missile and . . . . I had to let the project go as there wasn't a toolshop that would touch it for any less than $500CDN. Which . . . . I think you'll agree, is just way too much.

I guess I'll just stick with resin!

From
    UK

Hi guys i can do the missile spot on but there is a but!! I cant seem to find the materail for the long ribbed length . I,m going to machine 1 this week with out the rib on it . I can machine the ribbed piece but the price will go up!!
    Russ.

Russ, did you see how Darth Steven was making his? The ribs are milled from the same piece along with the body.

http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...c=5525&forum=4

From
    UK

Thats the only problem i have at the mo is milling out the ribs it takes time !! And time is money lol. So i am looking at a way of doing them as cheap as poss. Hopefully i will have a sample done next week.
    Russ.

From
    UK

Hi guys just a quick up date i will start machining the missile this week!!!!!!!
    Russ.

From
    UK

Hi all well finished machining the end of the missile to day i will start the rest next week heres some pics of how its coming on.
    Speak to you soon.

Thanks.
    Russ.

reidemiller

Re: UP DATE. RussRep's aluminum gauntlet missle project

Lookin GREAT so far!
    I'm interested in one.
    My brother is still working on his blueprints (he's been on vacation with the Family), but it looks like we might not need them.
    Could the ribs be done as seperate individual pieces and
    then just glued on (by purchaser)?
    More like a kit?
    I wouldn't have a problem with it especially if it would make the machining process easier and the finished product cost less.
    I mean, after its assembled and painted and weathered, would you really be able to tell?
    Thanks for listening.
    Robert E.

From
    UK

Hi mate ,
    well i will be machining the ribbed middle section. I have worked out an easy way of machining the ribs. As you can see i am doing 6 i will be keping 1 for my self but the 5 will be offerd on the board. If i get a lot of interest i will do a run of 10-20 if people want them. I will post some more pics hopefully next week. But the missiles will be finished in 2 weeks!!!!
    Russ.

From
    Puerto Rico

Do you have a price for the first five yet?

From
    UK

Hi mate not yet i will as soon as i have them finished. I will do a price that will included shipping as well. Soon as they are done i will post the pics.
    Russ.

I'm interested, just need to know the price to tell you for sure. Thanks

From
    Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

You have my interest for this, too, Russ

Looking VERY nice! This is the one piece on my suit that is NOT metal! So I NEED one like this and I question if my machinest frined wants to invest the time to make me one. Count me 'interested'... in two possibly!

From
    UK

No problem i am working on these this week. So as soon as i have some more parts of it finished i will post the pics.
    Russ.

From
    Ft. Wayne, IN

One point that needs to be considered is that one particular missile design may not be a good fit with a particular gauntlet design. In other words, russrep's missile may look great on an FP gauntlet, but not on an MB gauntlet. Of course, this is an example only--I have no idea how a particular missile looks on a particular gauntlet.

Comments?

From
    Chicago, IL

wow! put me down on that list!!!

From
    Wiesbaden, Germany

Hammerhead wrote:

One point that needs to be considered is that one particular missile design may not be a good fit with a particular gauntlet design. In other words, russrep's missile may look great on an FP gauntlet, but not on an MB gauntlet. Of course, this is an example only--I have no idea how a particular missile looks on a particular gauntlet.

Comments?
    I'm with Hammerhead. Personally, I have RA gauntlets. The "slot" where the missle attaches is different from gaunt to gaunt. With resin, it's easy to sand a little or add a little to make it fit right. With metal, if it don't fit, you are out a lot of scratch or you have to cut and drastically mod the gauntlets, which some may not be willing to do. Plus, how much do they weigh?

Wes

From
    South Devon UK

ive got russes alu darts and they dont weigh much.... and look realy good.

i designed the templates for him and the ribbed part will have 2 treaded slots for screws, so the alu missle will be fixed the gaunt by screws.

Russ - are you making the front cone part in brass or alu?

cheers

neil
    uk-scout
    WWW.UK-SCOUT.CO.UK
    ukbikerscout@hotmail.com

From
    UK

Hi Neil the cone will be machined from Brass or copper prob brass as its easier to machine. I will drill the 2 holes that Neil is talking about 4mm thread on Neils plans . I will make that the last stage of the job just in case some people want a different taped hole. Any questions or if i have missed some thing please email me cambareng@hotmail.com
    Russ.

From
    Ft. Wayne, IN

Jango_Wes makes a good point, in terms of the fit of the missile in the gauntlet "cradle." However, the overall appearance needs to be considered as well. An RA, MB or FP gauntlet may each have slightly varying overall length or other geometric characterstics that may make each of appear more or less "accurate" when paired with a particular missile.

Am I making sense? I don't want to bring this project screeching to a halt, or put fear into anyone that these metal missiles won't work with any of the available gauntlets. I am just suggesting that this aspect needs to be considered before a group of expensive metal machine missiles are made and then people are not happy because they don't "look right" with their particular gauntlet.

Hey, I want a metal missile too! And I want it to be the best, not just for me, but for everyone else, too.

From
    Wiesbaden, Germany

Again, I have to agree with Hammerhead. Don't get me wrong, I think the missle looks INCREDIBLE! No 2 ways about it.
    Kudos on the work. If the base of the missle that fits in the missle cradle is too big, you tighten up on the screws to attach it, you could split the gaunt. And, like stated before, due to different sizes of gauntlets, the missle on one may look ill-porportioned on another. Again, it's great work and a great idea, but you should try to get dimensions of the different gauntlets and try to get one missle size that will look and fit in all.

Wes

From
    UK

Ok guys i'm sure we can work something out i am machining this missile from Ukscouts drawing that he has supplied me. As soon as they are all machined i will take loads of pics give you all measurements you need.
    Russ.

From
    Ft. Wayne, IN

I don't think we could as for much more at this point. Thanks, russrep.

One thing that might help here is if we could compare an actual finished missile with several versions of the gauntlets. I myself don't have any gauntlets (yet), but I know that others do, as they've mentioned in the posts above.

From
    The first state

Some good points on the metal missle "fit" to specific gauntlets.However the goal has always been to get as accurate a missle as can be had and unfortunately there may need to be mods made to accomodate the missle.Since we know of the most accurate gauntlets that have been made I do believe that this missle will fit nicely into those.Other makers of gauntlets aren't that far off in general size that a missle fit should make or break the look of the setup.Some basic measurements should suffice before getting one ie. length,width.........am I right?

Steve

From
    UK

Hi yes that is right. Once they are made any 1 who wants 1 but is not to sure about it fitting just ask and i will give you all the sizes you need plus take loads of pics some next to a rule just to help you out. Should have some more pics tomorrow.
    Russ.