Ruffkin Gauntlet build up

Account Deactivated

Ruffkin Gauntlet build up

hey guys, once again, here i am looking to gain some more of your wisdom...i began my gauntlets this week, and started with the fiberglassing reinforcement....but ya know what? i should have done the hinges first, then the fiberglassing.... learning as i go....so here is the first step...i used regular 12" hinges from lowes, cut them to the length i wanted, then cut slits to get the upper and lower halves to "set down" on the hinge...scissors worked pretty good, they were all i had to cut the gauntlets...then i used just regular screws, couldnt find anything more decorative, so if you any ideas let me know....and used faucet washers and nuts that came with the screws to secure...thanks for the input in advance!!

leftgaunt-jpg

leftgaunt2-jpg

rightgaunt-jpg

rightgaunt2-jpg

Re: Ruffkin Gauntlet build up

it depends on what you're going for... there shouldn't be any visible bolts on the outside if you want movie accurate. well, if you want movie accurate, even the hinge shouldn't be there

the way i did my old ruffkins was to just glue it in...

the hinge itself was subtle enough that it was worth it too me to have that inaccuracy - before i did the hinges, my paint was always cracking from flexing them.

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

Looks nice and clean. Something you may consider is using rivets instead of bolts. They don't have to be tightened and they are pretty small, so they don't "stick out" much.

From
    Cary, NC

Not bad just so long as they are functional. Are those the smallest hinges you could find?
    I would have glued them tho, so you don't have to worry about nasty screws exposed on the outside. Cover them with paint and they won't be as noticeable.
    Can't wait to see the paint job!

Account Deactivated

hey madalore, how do you use rivets...? i went to lowes and found their rivets, but they look like nails...how does that work? you got a pic of some, or how you used them? i saw another thread on a guy using the hinges, and he did the rivet thing, i think, but i saw nuts over bolts on the inside of the gaunt...hmmm...dont like to use glue, i would rather the less accurate with the bolts to keep from using glue....but thank you for the pic reference and input, you guys rock!!

You need a rivet gun. You drill a hole, place the rivet inside, squeeze the gun and it pops the rivet. What you're doing will probably be convenient and if you are happy with it that's all that matters. I used velcro on mine and think it looks just fine. You be the judge.

-Matt

From
    Irvine, CA

I would CA glue the hinges in and then fiberglass over them.

Account Deactivated

i like the velcro idea too!! will use that to close the outer side of each gauntlet....thanks jawa5!

Account Deactivated

well, long time coming for an update!! i have gotten a little more done on these bad boys, slowly but surely....i have put the resin pieces on the right gauntlet now, and i noticed that i have put the side piece a little to far back...does that matter, really? next, will be sanding a priming!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails right-esb2-jpg   right-esb3-jpg  

Account Deactivated

well, long time coming for an update!! i have gotten a little more done on these bad boys, slowly but surely....i have put the resin pieces on the right gauntlet now, and i noticed that i have put the side piece a little to far back...does that matter, really? next, will be sanding a priming!!

right-esb2-jpg

right-esb3-jpg

Account Deactivated

oops!!!!!!