Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. a
    Jul 24, 2002, 11:46 PM - Merged: Re: How can I weather my cape? #26

an exacto would leave the cuts looking too clean and perfect and non-tattered. if i was you, i would take some rough sandpaper and rough up the fabric in a few spots. you could also mist black and brown spray paint on if from 2-3 feet away.
    Jul 25, 2002, 12:00 AM - Merged: Re: How can I weather my cape? #27

A wire brush bit on the end of a drill works well, I have also used a propane torch to add "Blaster" holes, gives that burnt edge look.
    Jul 25, 2002, 6:05 PM - Merged: Re: How can I weather my cape? #28

If you have an ESB cape the best way is to spray paint "fog" it alot,and rip holes,and then open them up by hand.The ends will fray the more you mess with it.Rub in on concrete to give it some more texture too.

If you're doing ROTJ,you can do all the above,but forget about the spray paint part because it's already dark green.

Steve
    Jul 25, 2002, 6:25 PM - Merged: Re: How can I weather my cape? #29

I washed my cape several times to increase the tear effects. Another thing I did was I tied it up in my parent's backyard. The combination of wind and sun damage added a truly natural weathering effect. Plus if I wash it now, the weathering can't be undone by the washing machine.
  5. Dark1
    Jul 28, 2002, 12:00 AM - Merged: Re: How can I weather my cape? #30

How about using some sort of acid on the edges of the cloth?
    I know if you get battery acid on your cloths it will leave a tattered worn looking hole just a thought
    Jul 28, 2002, 1:40 AM - Merged: Re: How can I weather my cape? #31

Dark1 wrote:How about using some sort of acid on the edges of the cloth?
    I know if you get battery acid on your cloths it will leave a tattered worn looking hole just a thought
    I learned that the hard way with a leather jacket I had in my trunk next to a car battery. Ok, I know that was stupid, but I was in high school at the time. Man, I miss that jacket.
    Aug 9, 2002, 3:33 PM - Merged: Re: How can I weather my cape? #32

In making my cape I had cut holes in it randomly and tore slits in it. The best way to make stains was to drip some cooking oil onto it. Then I washed it and the cuts frayed very nicely. Plus you can always use sandpaper to ruff it up and some watered down bleach to fade it a bit. Just some ideas.
    Aug 14, 2002, 8:42 PM - Merged: Cape whats the final size...?? #33

Just wondering what the total and final dimesions of the cap are??

W X H ???

or whatever measurments are used to convert it...lol.
    Aug 14, 2002, 11:12 PM - Merged: Re: Cape whats the final size...?? #34

Have you checked out Brak's Cape Tutorial?

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/bbt/rotj_cape.htm
  10. Member Since
    May 2002
    Dec 16, 2002, 9:12 PM - Merged: Half shelter cape? #35

I know many believe the cape is made from a
    half shelter/ pup tent.
    But, when researching Fett's drab cape, I found this pic of the army tent:

http://www.armygear.net/store/assets...mages/0250.jpg

Take a look at the two seams.
    One where the triangle flap is sewn to the large rectangle.
    The other being the main visible seam. They appear to be very close together.
    Also, take a look at the row of snaps, along the top.
    The 2nd (visible) seam falls short of the snap, second from right.
    It would appear, that if you drew the imaginary rectangle where the cape would be cut from, the seams are so close together that they would have to be either both in the middle, or both to one side.

Now, take a look at the diagram, from TDH rotj cape tutorial:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/bbt/I...elter_Half.jpg

This diagram has been drawn with the tent seams far apart,
    (as the cape would have).
    It shows the visible seam falling well past the 3rd snap.
    It appears as though the seams on the actual tent, would not
    correspond with a Fett cape.
    Has anyone used & cut a real half shelter, for use as a cape?
    Do the seams fall in the correct locations?
    Dec 16, 2002, 9:28 PM - Merged: Re: Half shelter cape? #36

Here are the pictures TK826 is referring to:

I'm on the look out for one of these myself. As Brak's noted in his tutorial, "Not all military shelter halves have correct stitching! Only about 1 in 10 shelter halves is correct." For this very reason, I am not going to risk buying one of these tents online. Instead, I am going to hit all of the military surplus stores I can until I find the right one. If anybody here finds a DEFINITE source for these, please let me know.
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2002
    Dec 17, 2002, 5:56 AM - Merged: Re: Half shelter cape? #37

My shelter half's 'middle' seam was not as wide as the one in the diagram, which is like the reference CD photos of the ROTJ cape. I suspect that would be the OLDEST style.
    Both the seams on my half were the same 'normal' double seam width, just like on a pair of Levis. I got my half from a surplus type store. It was old and used with holes, so I got just the half I needed and it only cost $8-. Better deal than the new complete shelters, like in the photo here. It appears this photo shows a later generation shelter than mine even. I would now guess that there are at least three variations of these shelters. (I spent many nights while in Ft. Benning in these things, but I can't remember any usable details, as that was back in the late 80's).
    If I made another, I'd find an old used one like I did. I'd also cut it an inch or two wider...beyond the seems, because I had trouble making solid seems around the edges AND keeping it the desired width. Mine is about that much narrow, but looks pretty close.
    I also suspect that the photo may show one side of the half, while the diagram may show the other, which may be made different. Perhaps someone who bought both sides could shed some light.
    Fear not the shelter-half, but choose wisely!
  13. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Dec 30, 2002, 12:48 AM - Merged: Re: Half shelter cape? #38

After having bought almost 40 tent halves, I can tell you it id extremely difficult to find ones with the correct seam. First off, it appears that the hlaves were manufactured by more than one company although I can't find a lot of company ID on the halves. Second, there seams to be a number of standard patterns (one is the wide, one is the narrow and one is somewhere in between) but I have also come across a handful that are just completely different from any other. As Boba Fettish said, you absolutely can NOT blindly buy one of these online and expect it to be the right thing and from experience, I can tell you most companies that sell them are not interested in trying to pick out a specific one for you with a specific stiching if they even ever understand what you are talking about. You best bet is to hit the army navy surplus stores... If I can be of any more help, please let me know.
    Feb 25, 2003, 11:49 PM - Merged: The Ol' cape switch in ROTJ #39

I was watching ROTJ last night and noticed something that I had slipped by me for so long. When Boba reacts to the threat of the thermal detonator, his cape is on his right side. Later on the skiff, it is on the left. I also never noticed that when R2 leaved the sail barge to go to the top deck to launch Luke's saber, Boba suspiciously turns and watches R2 leave. It almost seemed like he knew something was up.

I don't know if these were discussed here or not in the past. If so, just delete.

Thanks!
    Feb 25, 2003, 11:54 PM - Merged: Re: The Ol' cape switch in ROTJ #40

Actually, the cape switch scene was a total mirrior image. Check out his RF and the Blaster that's now in his left hand and helm side...

Stay safe.

Tim.
    Feb 26, 2003, 12:03 AM - Merged: Re: The Ol' cape switch in ROTJ #41

Yeah ive always loved that he looks at R2 like that, i think i read somewhere that he recognized R2 from bespin or something? Also, i dont know if this is right but ive noticed that Fett looks at the screen in every movie. Everybody knows he looks at it in the SE ANH. But also, on SE ROTJ, when hes walking across jabbas bed he turns and looks at the screen. And im not quite sure but i remember when going to see SE ESB at the theater that when Fett is walking down the hall at cloud city in front of han in carbonite, he turns his head to the screen like he notices Luke down the hall. Ive got the 5 star dvd but the pictures still not good enough to tell...or maybe im just going crazy...
    Feb 26, 2003, 12:24 AM - Merged: Re: The Ol' cape switch in ROTJ #42

Yeap it's a complete frame flip in the Jabba's palace thermal detonator scene.

I didn't see any turn to the screen in the ESB SE Han Carbonite Walk, but the focus is so far away, who knows.

18. I helped at SDCC '08 journeymanprotector's Avatar
    Feb 26, 2003, 12:30 AM - Merged: Re: The Ol' cape switch in ROTJ #43

the se is VERY subtle. It's actually in the original version too but you really have to watch it. As Fett hits about mid-screen he turn his head about 45 degrees. Watch the bottom right area of his head, I think that's where it's most noticeable.

I hadn't noticed it until I saw se on the screen, but it is in the original version as well, I've confirmed it.

Phil
  19. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Feb 26, 2003, 7:11 AM - <B>Merged:</B> Re: The Ol' cape switch in ROTJ #44

Subtle isn't the word for it jmp... almost impossible to see is!! However, Fett def does turn his head and look down the hallway. Very very cool..

ANH:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Look_ANH.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	46024

ESB:

Name:	Look_ESB.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	46025

RotJ:

Name:	Look_RotJ.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	46026

Here is a closeup of the ESb scene: In the first shot you can clearly see fett's head is in profile. In the second, if you look close you can see the visor is now turned toward the camera.

Name:	Look_ESB1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	46027

Although the SE shots are obviously menat to have Fett look at the audience I don't think that is the case with ESb and even if so, I believe this is a much better image of Fett giving us the STARE!

Name:	Look_ESB2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	46028
    Feb 26, 2003, 7:50 AM - Merged: Re: The Ol' cape switch in ROTJ #45

I had no idea that was in ESB. You guys have an awesome eye for detail. BB you never seem to fall short of impressive your pics on hand.
    Feb 26, 2003, 10:06 AM - Merged: Re: The Ol' cape switch in ROTJ #46

Its almost like Boba knows...
    Feb 26, 2003, 10:36 AM - Merged: Re: The Ol' cape switch in ROTJ #47

He's hyper-alert with a suit tricked out with all sorts of sensors. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty on top of things...until some blind man hit him with a stick.

The mirror images you see of Fett were done in the film editing room. This helps to set the stage so to speak and provides a better visual "flow" to the action.

Most theatre attendees would never catch it, but when you've watched the movies as many times as we have, you tend to pick up on more and more subtle details with each viewing (and there are LOTS of them). As you know, discoveries are still being made to this day.
    Feb 26, 2003, 12:26 PM - Merged: Re: The Ol' cape switch in ROTJ #48

Nice pic, Braks's. Now where have I seen that before.....

Feb 26, 2003, 12:59 PM - Merged: Re: The Ol' cape switch in ROTJ #49

Hmmmm, don't know BF. It looks very familiar to me. It's a picture I've not seen since....

Well, at least we're not going crazy with the ESB Fett "peek-a-Luke." I really had thought it was in the OT ESB, but it was so subtle watching the SE, that I thought it could be a tilt; it could not be a tilt. I'm sold on the peek through the zoom-in.

Watching that scene in slo-mo, Fett really puts a few shots up Luke's nose. Damn that alive clause...
  25. Member Since
    Jan 2003
    Feb 26, 2003, 1:50 PM - Merged: Re: The Ol' cape switch in ROTJ #50

Supposedly in ROTJ the scene was filmed with Leia supposed to to be on one side. But when they worked it out, JB's movements were to the opposite direction. Therefore they flipped the film, making a mirror image. The biggest proof is the range finder, which is on the left side instead of right throughout that scene.

At least that's what I think I read somewhere