Subscribe
  1. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 20, 2013, 10:11 AM - RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #1

Hey guys been kinda busy painting stuff for a few guys...trying to get them all sorted before my personal armor and wifes armor and helmets get here for painting...

One of which was a set of ESB armor from RKD for Fasterthenjesus....which includes full chest, cod/kidney and knees. Working his Asok FP Budget now...more to come with that.

Will upload some of the pics to my flickr tonight but here is my FB link where Ive posted the pics up. Going to take a few more before shipping em off this week.

Fett4Reals Workshop

OK here are the pics with a real camera...not just my Iphone...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8760112592_6d162f4ba0_b.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	372.7 KB 
ID:	68936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8758987577_276ddb8360_b.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	68937  
    Last edited by Fett 4 Real; May 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM.
    May 20, 2013, 10:48 AM - RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #2

Is the silver damage on the ESB that large? The collar damage seems a but big. Are you using masking fluid or topical?
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app
  3. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 20, 2013, 11:55 AM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #3

I guess that depends on the part you mean....the collar was a a bit of a tough decision as far as placement/size of the damage as the RKD armor has the two dents a little lower then where I would have personally located them. I used ref pics to get the size of the damage as close to what it appears in comparison to the armor. As for the application there was masking and topical action...the silver done with the masking on all parts and then the yellow added on after...which may or may not be the way the suit was done for the movie...as we dont have the parts to see up close. But the yellow is for sure over top of everything else in the pics we do have. So went with the silver masked and yellow added on top.
    May 20, 2013, 2:26 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #4

That's funny, F4R, I just did the same paintup of the same armor and did the collar just the same. I think the second lower dent is ment to have no topical weathering and just be a dented area with undamaged paint. This way it doesn't contradict with Rafal's templates, which I trust pretty well seeing as how much research he seems to have done. Anyway, I'm leaving mine how it is- and I'm not sure who's armor I saw with that undamaged dent. I tried to find it in the ref images but they're too blurry for the most part.
    May 20, 2013, 2:49 PM - RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #5

No I was more talking about how big the damage is. Have you tried used a smaller applicator to place the masking fluid on? I was given the idea of using a green scourring pad cut up into small pieces. It helped me keep the damage from looking as big like you get from brushes and also sharper edges. I'm not an Esb guy so I was talking about the silver in general and not specific marks.
  6. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 20, 2013, 2:57 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #6

See thing is the collar was also used in ROTJ and we know this because the paint that is scraped off is the ESB paint. The dents are off on the RKD armor...they should be up and to the left (wearers left) Will knows he has some things to change...The initial run of the chest armor wasnt curved right, there are things he has changed since then...and hes working on a new setup. But for now...I just kinda did what made sense visually...having damage inside the dents made sense. So thats the way I went with those dents there.

22....I understand what your saying but in relationship to the armor the silver is applied or masked for that matter to scale. I typically use a VERY fine nib for applying the fluid. And a very fine liner brush for the yellow. I have a good 10 pics from official pics that are SUPER clear that I use along with the gallery and rafals stencils as theyre a invaluable tool. When looking at damage and such I really dont look at it I look at the negative space around it to guage the size it should be before even doing anything and pencil in a rough size of the overall damage in that area.

Short answer is the silver damage is very close in size relative to the size of the armor.
    Last edited by Fett 4 Real; May 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM.
    May 20, 2013, 3:32 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #7

Sweet stuff, looking real good F4R
  8. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    May 20, 2013, 6:51 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #8

As for the collar dents being a little off, I had to 'fudge' my paint chipping as well. Looks really good, F4R!
  9. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 20, 2013, 7:21 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #9

Updated with Some better pics
    May 20, 2013, 11:19 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #10

Good job man. I can't wait until you start mine. The HIC is waiting for you lol.
    May 21, 2013, 1:49 AM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #11

The collar plate scratches looks good, but it kind of bothers me the chest and abdominal plate scratches: they are too big. Other than that, the colors looks great and the overall view is excellent.

The collar dents were replicated using the AoSW/C-IV images (Will correct me if I'm wrong) and this plate was part of the original Pre-Pro #1 armor, while the ROTJ hero collar plate is the repainted Pre-Pro #3 (and not ESB) part. For the ROTJ stunt armor (the one in the flying sequences) they reused the Promo #1 (Heilman photo) parts. Read more here ==> The Fate Of The Twin Armors: Pre-Pro #1, Pre-Pro #3 and ESB.
    May 21, 2013, 8:11 AM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #12

I apologize please dont take this wrong, but only as constructive criticism. Feel like a dick because I shoot for perfection. I think you're talented no doubt, but besides the overdone yellow damage, it kind of overcomes the silver/green on the chest armor. It reminds me of the phrase "less is more."

But Im sure your next batch of armor will be much better. Still.....very nice of you to help out the community with your talents and personal free time.
    Last edited by sleepalot; May 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM.
    May 21, 2013, 9:35 AM - RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #13

Just another observation. Try scaling down the black weathering on the left shoulder. Around the decal. It's very heavy. Maybe a light dusting with some grimy black. Kinda like sleep said. Less is more.
    May 21, 2013, 3:34 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #14

Great job I like the wear on it. What brand of paint do you use? And do you use a primer on the armor before painting it?
  15. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 21, 2013, 3:45 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #15

Hey guys Im seeing what your meaning on the left chest and ab plate...and the left shoulder coulda been toned down a little to i suppose now looking back at it...nothing is going to be 100% perfect but we can try right? Will for sure keep all this in mind in the future...hopefully i dont make it to small next time

As far as paint...theres a few brands...floquil/testers model masters/humbrol...I do primer the armor with rusto primer before painting the silver...kinda have to...after sanding the armor enough so that paint will stick and the edges to cleanup from the trimming.
    May 21, 2013, 6:20 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #16

Do you put a finish on it after painting your armor
  17. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 21, 2013, 6:51 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #17

dullcoat always....
    May 21, 2013, 6:53 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #18

Where's the 'like' button?
  19. May 22, 2013, 6:52 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #19

Hey, great work. it looks great, I don't mind that it looks a bit more battle scarred than usual. just means i've seen more action! : )
    May 22, 2013, 8:17 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #20

Clicks "Like"
  21. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 22, 2013, 8:47 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #21

Quote fasterthanjesus said: View Post
    Hey, great work. it looks great, I don't mind that it looks a bit more battle scarred than usual. just means i've seen more action! : )
    Thanks bud....glad you approve. Honestly (in theory) each time I learn something....So like with your left ear for example Im doing the magnets on your helmet which normally I just did screws...which is easier but not as cool...
  22. May 22, 2013, 9:31 PM - Re: RKD Armor ESB style for Fasterthenjesus.... #22

at the end of the day, does it pass 501st. does it look like boba fett. do i feel good in it?

looking forward to putting this all together. incoming are.... armor (rkd and fett 4 real) jet pack (sleepalot) flight suit and vest. china blue. magnets. plastic glue, studs, gauntlets.

build thread coming soon !

cheers guys. you've all been really helpful and i appreciate the efforts/craftsmanship.

dg