Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Resculpting my Fett armor

From
    Washington State

Re: Resculpting my Fett armor

I LOVE this thread. Seeing all the detail and the quality you put into these pieces is so awesome. Its great getting on and seeing this thread has new posts in it.

From
    Massachusetts

Man, people certainly can't accuse you of being lazy! Great work!

From
    Albuquerque

Thank you very much guys!
    I've still got a bit of work to do, but definitely much more on the way

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

That's looking great! Keep it up!

From
    Albuquerque

Thank you GCN

From
    Albuquerque

I made some more progress this week. I essentially finished all the secondary weathering and battle damage on the shells and flamethrower utilizing a combination of sanding, scratching/scraping, more spot chipping, pastel chalk brushing, black wash and airbrushing then topped it all off with a matte finish. I finished installing the flamethrower nozzles and added more switches, darts, and other greeblies to the shells. I'm still waiting on 2 momentary switches for the flamethrower I picked up on eBay to arrive. After I install those, I'll attach the flamethrower to the left gaunt and then install another toggle looking switch to the back of the left gaunt (near the red pilot light). The right gaunt is basically completed. Here's pics of everything:

All accessories on the right gaunt are attached with screws (predrilled holes into the resin pieces). I was skeptical about this at first but once I tightened everything down it all cinched up nice and snug for a great fit. Super sturdy too

I acquired this beautiful casting of a glenross dental expander from a good buddy in Arizona. I was very pleased to get this very difficult to find item from him..and such a great casting too

That's it for now until I get those switches I'm waiting for in the mail. Up next I'll be continuing work on the left gaunt rocket. I stripped down the old one and re primed and painted it. It sits in silver for now. I've just got to trace and mask it next.

From
    Washington State

Looks great. Cant wait to get mine!

From
    Albuquerque

Thanks buddy!
    Here's a few more pics of the rocket I knocked out today. Thanks to Richard (some guy named Lor) for hooking me up with some copper paint that I needed for the tip.

Up next, I need to attach the flamethrower to the left gaunt and add the momentary rendar type switches and the rear switch looking greeblie and these babies will be done!

From
    Albuquerque

Here's a quick little update. This **** thing took about 20 minutes to install cause I had a hard time getting my fingers inside the flamethrower to screw on the nut. I wanted that end inside the flamethrower so they weren't poking me while wearing the gaunts

Now just waiting on three switches to arrive in the mail and these babies will be DONE!

From
    Murrieta CA

Outstanding job!!!!

From
    Albuquerque

Thanks buddy

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Outstanding indeed! Where were you 3 years ago when absolutely no one made gauntlets?

From
    Albuquerque

Thanks GCN
    LOL well let me see, I was still very new to costuming and had just finished assembling my first Fett. I had never even DREAMED of sculpting my own armor after that. I had done very little sculpting for very basic shapes for some molds that I needed for my model scratchbuilding that I was heavy into at the time, but that was it.

I then recently got involved with the mercs (just over a year ago) and decided to give it a shot. I still need to go back and resculpt a few pieces (in particular the backplate), so I know I still have a long way to go to get where I want to be, but it's getting there. Thanks for hangin out and reading the thread..all of you
    More to come!

Account Deactivated

Looking dapa,
    I was only kidding about the red
    Black and or white as the real ones were white vacformed,
    Very sweet work

From
    Albuquerque

jinto said: View Post
    Looking dapa,
    I was only kidding about the red
    Very sweet work
    Haha yeah I know just giving you a hard time back lol. Thanks for the comment boss!

From
    Wisconsin

Insane man, just insane. Love the thread. Can't wait for my back plate. PM sent btw.

From
    Albuquerque

Thanks Michael! PM replied
    Well, since I'm here I might as well update this thread some more. I finally got all of the last of the switches in and got them installed. I'm calling these gauntlets DONE! Take a look:

From
    Albuquerque

Once I got the gauntlets out of the way, it was time to move on to the rest of the body armor. So, that being said, here we go:

This is the very same armor that I make for everyone else. I can honestly say that I'm not only the president, but I'm also a client :P
    The very first thing I had to do was shape the armor to my body. This required a heat gun, a few clamps and some patience. I didn't take pics of this part, but when I get to the backplate you'll see how it was done. After that was completed, I repeated the same process I did on the knees - Sand, prime, sand again, silver, and then matte coat sealer

After that, everything goes under bauhaus gold, then sanded smooth again and shot with matte finish again

Before that was painted, however, the silver areas were already masked off

Up next I lightly traced with a pencil the areas of the yellow that will remain exposed

After that is completed, the masking fluid is applied to those areas only (no need to remask the silver masked areas)

These are all now ready for some layers of green for the final topcoat...the ab plate will get a different color of green and masked off. Here's a few shots of that masking insanity

From
    Albuquerque

After that, I hit it with a few layers of the proper green and then peeled off the masking fluid (also very time consuming)

From
    Albuquerque

The wheat logo was also done with a 3 layer/part stencil. I realized afterwards that I made it too large, but it's staying put now :P

Then I went back to the armor to weather it and add the Fett clan logo. Same stencil process as the Jaing skull on the shoulder, then weathered afterwards

Now everything's weathered though it's a little hard to see in the pics

From
    Albuquerque

Here's some more pics outside in sunlight on the vest

Up next: Backplate, where I will go into GREAT detail on the painting, masking, and weathering process! Stay tuned!

From
    Washington State

As always. Looks stunning Will.

Account Deactivated

Looking swank , Have you or any one else completed a fett using all your parts ?

From
    Albuquerque

Thank you so much guys! I believe I am the only one who has completed a Fett using ALL my armor (there's been one or two who have completed Fett's using a few of my pieces). After I post pics of the backplate, I'll show completed pics with me in the armor all together

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

what color did u use on the shoulder bells? All my colors I gave u looks like very good job BTW