Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Sep 1, 2010, 1:09 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #51

Thanks again for helping out with this bro. This is some really great info on this new plastic. Definitely making the decision easier with every update
    Sep 3, 2010, 3:12 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #52

Made some pretty quick progress on the flamethrower last night so I thought I'd share. Here's some pics (I know it looks weird because of the necessary flares for the pulls, but once I trim them out they'll match up forming the flamethrower box). Take a look:

Up next: Right gaunt tube connector housing assembly:
    Sep 6, 2010, 6:53 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #53

Made a little more progress today...slow going though. These are a little more difficult to pull than I originally anticipated. Here's the pics -

Sep 14, 2010, 10:15 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #54

So, they paint up real nice, but how do they hold up for trooping. Well...

IMG00034-20100914-2038 by darth_who, on Flickr

Unfortunately the flamethrower box didn't make it before our troop at EpCon last weekend, but the gaunts performed admirably without it. I banged them around a bit after they were on, no issues whatsoever. The magnet method had me a bit cautious but once they snapped in place they stayed put, even with the weight of my MR blaster bouncing around on them. I had folks knocking into me (as per usual trooping) and again no issues. I even had a guy get his zombie bandages get caught on the darts and try too pull away and the gaunts stayed put.
    Now on to finishing the flamethrower and installing it...

Again, I can't say enough good stuff about the IOA product; it finishes and troops well, has more than enough room for electronics (LEDs, helmet servo controls, more LEDs, etc.) and use of magnets for closure worked fantastic. If I had to change anything I would maybe add one more set of magnets per gauntlet, just in case...maybe I'll try it on the ESB gaunts, as soon as Will gets them finished :duim:
    Sep 15, 2010, 3:17 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #55

That is a SWEET paintjob brother!! I'm gonna have to commission you to do a set for me :P Thanks again for beta testing these for me bro!
    Sep 18, 2010, 6:07 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #56

Another quick update:
    Flamethrower for left gaunt

And with left gaunt for reference

Still working on the right gaunt tube connector housing...stay tuned!
    Sep 22, 2010, 2:53 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #57

Finally got around to doing the knees. Take a look -

And here are some pics of the pieces assembled

And some shots of the inside

Inner shell knee molds

Kneecap molds

And finally the side parts for the darts, etc.
  8. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Sep 22, 2010, 3:34 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #58

I think your doing a really good job on this one thing you may want to look at doing is on the knees they should have a beveled edge running around them...making them appear thicker than the plastic theyre made out of. Same on the chest and other armor pieces. But great work non the less
    Sep 22, 2010, 7:42 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #59

Great catch, thanks for the advice!
    Nov 11, 2010, 1:11 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #60

11. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Nov 11, 2010, 8:15 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #61

what paint did u use for the silver it looks like its not taking to well to the material or the primer? Or did u not smooth out the primer enough? Its got a texture thing going on...
    Nov 11, 2010, 11:39 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #62

It's light reflection...any other nitpicky comments to add?????
    Last edited by redkraytdragon; Nov 11, 2010 at 12:13 PM.
  13. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Nov 11, 2010, 1:06 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #63

I was simply trying to help you get the best results, maybe try not being so sensitive and take it at face value. If you didnt want people to comment why bother posting the pics up on a public forum? I think your doing a great job with this and would like the same craftsmanship that went into sculpting the armor be seen in the painting of the armor.
    Nov 11, 2010, 4:08 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #64

OK, fair enough. Guess I might have overreacted a little...I apologize. It's just that I've put a LOT of hours, blood, sweat and tears (not to mention much swearing and throwing of things) in trying to make this a reality. I pride myself on having done all of it from start to finish. My original intention in posting this thread was to show others another approach at making your own armor and to show that anyone can sculpt given they take the time to do it.
    As far as the paint goes, so far I sanded the plastic, primed it, sanded the primer, and then hit it with the metallic silver aluminum. The appearance of the texture is just a weird reflection from the way it dried...I can assure you that the finish is completely smooth. I just hit it all with a matte clear coat and it seems to have taken care of that issue. I'll post pics later, thanks
  15. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Nov 11, 2010, 4:32 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #65

well good hope to see it with some yellow here soon
    Nov 12, 2010, 10:02 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #66

Anyone got any good links to good paint WIP's that I can check out?? Bueller?? Anyone?? :P
  17. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Nov 13, 2010, 8:47 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #67

Best thing to do is get as many pictures from whichever armor u like the art of starwars or myth of magic etc...one set and try to mimic that...run to michaels look for liquid frisket or liquid mask...or use toothpaste get your mask down and either spray it green and add the zinc chromate (or bauhaus gold krylon) later with a brush...The yellow on the real thing is topical...depends on your taste...I went layered but its purely personal preference. You'll want to mist gray in certain spots browns and flat black spritz...yeh I said it...where it comes out kinda in a bad way when u dont push the button on the can all the way on certain areas mind you but use the pics and all if your not comfortable get your buddy to help you he seems to be able to paint pretty well, if I was still out there Id help but been gone for 4 months now...missing flying star most of all
    Nov 13, 2010, 7:05 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #68

Thanks for the advice and tips bro. I'll get cracking on hunting down some of these colors. Went looking for the chromate yellow today, but only found it in the bottle. Still also not sure which green I want to go with yet...leaning towards Testors MM medium green but I need to research it a bit further.
    Flying Star is awesome but they sure are proud of their food as it's a bit pricey...really tasty though
  19. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Nov 13, 2010, 7:29 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #69

if u want rattle cans bauhaus gold from krylon is the yellow to use
    Nov 13, 2010, 7:53 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #70

That's what I'm now leaning towards. I've seen a few pics of it and am really liking that color as well. Thanks a ton for your help F4R
  21. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Nov 13, 2010, 8:01 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #71

Cool and the colors are readily available at Homedepot and walmart...home depot for the rusto colors and wally world for the krylon.
    Nov 14, 2010, 2:00 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #72

Thanks again bro!
    Nov 14, 2010, 3:00 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #73

The Bauhaus Gold is a good choice. I don't want to post my pics in your thread but if you look on my Helmet WIP thread over on the Headhunter Squad forum you can see the colors. I used it for my generic Mandalorian Protector helmet.
    Nov 19, 2010, 12:32 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #74

Quick question - When do you all apply the clear dullcoat after finishing the paint job....at the very end AFTER weathering? or right before weathering? Thanks!
  25. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Nov 19, 2010, 3:24 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #75

I do it at the VERY end...wont hurt in the middle though and at the end